Do I really need a low gain screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm moving my JVC RS45 to a new, shorter room.

My throw distance will drop to 9' 9" and I plan on putting a CineVista anamorphic lens on.

I am aiming to have a 87" wide 2.35 ratio screen (37" high).

Since the CineVista widens the projected image by about 33% I only need to have the projector set up to throw a 66" wide image.

According to the Elite projector calculator, the RS45 throws a 66" wide image from a throw distance of 9' 9" at a zoom of 1.72.

What concerns me is at that throw distance and zoom the brightness levels for the Minimum/Iris Closed scenario (this is a 2D film set up only and I run low lamp mode, fully closed iris for the great JVC D-ILA blacks) with a 1.0 gain screen the brightness measurements projected are too high (27.5 fL on a new lamp and estimated 20 fL after 500 hours).

If I dial down the screen gain to 0.7 those numbers are respectable (19.3 fL on a new lamp and 14 fL after 500 hours).

I'm planning on either buying, or making a new screen anyway. Based on what I see with the projector calculator looks like I should aim for about a 0.7 gain.....would people agree with this or is there something else I should be thinking about. For what its worth the room is a basement room with complete light control, although walls and ceiling are white and the screen wall is black velvet.

Thanks,

Dave M

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in gva View Post

27.5 fL on a new lamp and estimated 20 fL after 500 hours.

That seems awfully optimistic.

Anyway, just try it with a white sheet or paper, which are pretty close to unity gain.

Noah
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Well, in low lamp with a new lamp, and your iris closed, it might be more like 368 lumens, which gives you more like 21 foot lamberts. I like it bright, so I wouldn't worry about that. Your screen is mighty small though. IMO 21 FL is perfect. cool.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Well, in low lamp with a new lamp, and your iris closed, it might be more like 368 lumens, which gives you more like 21 foot lamberts. I like it bright, so I wouldn't worry about that. Your screen is mighty small though. IMO 21 FL is perfect. cool.gif

Alright, so what I am hearing here is I shouldn't fuss so much about the gain. Sounds like a gain of around 1 could be fine. I am thinking I will DIY my screen anyway so being able to go with a gain around 1 could give me more variety.

Craig when you say my screen is pretty small....I dunno....is it really so small? It's not a long room so I'm constrained by the width the RS45 can throw and I also have the door entrance to the room on the side I am going to project on to. I'll be sitting about 9 feet back from the screen as well, so according to the THX and SMPTE guidelines the angle of view I'll be having is greater than 36 degrees.

Dave
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 195
If that size works best for you, go for it. I personally feel that projector brightness is over stated anyway - better bright than dim IMO.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page