Screen recommendation for my room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recently moved into my new house and I'm shopping around for screens. I was thinking of going with 150" but I don't know if it would be overkill if I do add a second row in front (but I'm not too sure if I have the space for a second row). The room is 13'6" by 18'2" and I plan on setting up like the picture below. I would like to have a small separation between the edge of the screen and the speakers so there isn't any overlap. The speakers are about 12" wide so the screen shouldn't be larger than around 11' wide. I will also have the project ceiling mounted but I'm not sure just yet of the throw distance from where it will be placed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
What projector do you plan to use? The only problem is anytime you go that big you need a bright projector otherwise you'll have a dim image. And if you plan on having two rows the first would probably be around 10ft from the screen. Its a personal thing but sitting that close to that big of a picture wouldn't work for me personally.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im using an epson 8350
post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Screen size is really a personal thing, but with a room your size there's no way I would have a screen that big with sitting that close. Then of course there's the issue of brightness. If you had a screen that is 150" diagonal with your projector if you were using a 1.0gain screen you'd have a fairly dim picture unless you went with a high powered gain screen. If you have a high gain screen and you're ceiling mounting the projector you'll have to drop the projector down. With high powered screens you need to have the project as close to the center of the screen as possible to get all of the added gain from the screen.

IMO with the size of your room I don't think I'd go any larger them 130".
Here's a good tool to give you an idea of how bright your projector/screen combo would be
http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/
Here's a view angle calculator you can use too. Typically you don't want a viewing angle any larger then 45degrees.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
post #5 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post

Recently moved into my new house and I'm shopping around for screens. I was thinking of going with 150" but I don't know if it would be overkill if I do add a second row in front (but I'm not too sure if I have the space for a second row). The room is 13'6" by 18'2" and I plan on setting up like the picture below. I would like to have a small separation between the edge of the screen and the speakers so there isn't any overlap. The speakers are about 12" wide so the screen shouldn't be larger than around 11' wide. I will also have the project ceiling mounted but I'm not sure just yet of the throw distance from where it will be placed.

The 9' viewing from the front row is going to be a little rough with a 150" diagonal 16"9 screen. Your room is 18'-2". You lose 2.5' (guess) at the back for the doors to open. Seat back will cost you .5' at least. From back viewing position to front viewing position will cost you around 6'. Screen mounting will cost you an inch or two. That leaves you with around 9' for front row viewing. I could not sit 9' from a 150" 16:9 screen. That is a 0.82 viewing distance to screen width ratio. I also think you will be seeing screen door from the front row, using an LCD projector. Not sure that I could sit 9' from the 131" wide scope image either.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page