DaLite High Power - for Ceiling Mount Projector / use with a JVC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm screen shopping, and the DaLite High Power was recommended to me by a vendor. Pricing on this non-tensioned screen (not required because of the fabric) is notably less than the other tensioned electric options I'm considering.

The expected projector (JVC-RS990 / RS35) will be used primarily for films, and will be ceiling mounted. I will measure the mounting height but it will be on an angled ceiling at least 8' tall (probably closer to 9').

In reading on the forums my concerns are the loss of gain in the use of this screen with a ceiling mount projector.

However, many of the posts about this screen are dated (and it's not clear if there have been changed to materials since then).

Does anyone have recent experience using this screen with a JVC? PJ will be mounted about 12' away from the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

PJ is also calibrated for a 1.3 gain screen.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The new 2.4 material is a lower gain than the old dated good stuff you read about. The distance from your eye level to the lens level is the number you want to worry about and more the 24" will be a gain of 1. Mount the projector at the proper height of buy a different screen. There is a spread sheet calculator around someplace that lets you input data to get an idea of gain but from realy life, the sweet spot is very small on the 2.4. There have also been several complaints about QA of this current version of the screen but if you can compromise and get the projector placed where it needs to be, you will get the gain you are looking for. Also the projector will need to be recalibrate with any new screen you buy as the screen and environment will have changed.
Good luck on your search!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Any non-tensioned screens that are worth considering? This screen was attractive in part because it doesn't need tensioning.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Can not help you there, I just bought a used HP 2.8 and it does have waves but they are very had to see in use.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page