Need Help Understanding Panamorphic Lens and Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hello. I'm close to buying a projector with a Anamorphic lens built in. Please excuse my ignorance but I need a little help understanding just how that works. I was under the impression when watching Blu-rays with the letterbox the anamorphic lens will automatically fill the screen. So let's say I have 120 inch 16 x 9 screen on my wall. With the anamorphic lens feature, does it automatically fill that screen when watching a movie with letterbox bars, or do I need a special screen specifically for the anamorphic lens? If I need a special anamorphic screen for this, does this mean when I'm playing a video game or watching DirecTV, that the screen will not be filled? My main concern with buying an anamorphic screen, when im not utilizing the anamorphic lens, other content will not fill the whole screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you are going to use an anamorphic lens then you really need what is called a scope or 2.35 screen. This would be the same height that you 120" 16:9 screen would be, but wider.

The way it works is when you are watching a wide screen or scope movie (2.35 to 2.39 aspect ratio), you would put the anamorphic lens in front of your projector. It will stretch the image to fill the entire screen.

When you are watching DirecTV or playing a game, or watching a non-scope move (1.85:1 movie), you would remove the anamorphic lens, and then you are correct, it will not fill the entire screen. You will have black bars on the left and right side of your screen.

Some people buy motorized masking systems that move black felt or similar material on the right and left side of the screen, so that you essentially shrink the width of your screen when watching 16:9 material, and then widen it when watching scope material (remove the masking). While motorized masking can be expensive, some manufacturers of 2.35 screens sell manual masking panels that can be put up and taken down, or other people have made their own.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

If you are going to use an anamorphic lens then you really need what is called a scope or 2.35 screen. This would be the same height that you 120" 16:9 screen would be, but wider.

The way it works is when you are watching a wide screen or scope movie (2.35 to 2.39 aspect ratio), you would put the anamorphic lens in front of your projector. It will stretch the image to fill the entire screen.

When you are watching DirecTV or playing a game, or watching a non-scope move (1.85:1 movie), you would remove the anamorphic lens, and then you are correct, it will not fill the entire screen. You will have black bars on the left and right side of your screen.

Some people buy motorized masking systems that move black felt or similar material on the right and left side of the screen, so that you essentially shrink the width of your screen when watching 16:9 material, and then widen it when watching scope material (remove the masking). While motorized masking can be expensive, some manufacturers of 2.35 screens sell manual masking panels that can be put up and taken down, or other people have made their own.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the help!

For a little more information on how many people use masking on their screen, you can look at this page on Carada. Scroll down and there is a little animation for the CIH (constant height) screen, and then you can also click on more information to see more pictures of the masking in use or fully retracted. http://www.carada.com/Masquerade-Masking-System.aspx

As I said, some screen companies also sell manual masking panels you can put up and take down, such as Seymour AV, and others have used curtain systems or made their own masking panels.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Hello. I'm close to buying a projector with a Anamorphic lens built in. Please excuse my ignorance but I need a little help understanding just how that works. I was under the impression when watching Blu-rays with the letterbox the anamorphic lens will automatically fill the screen. So let's say I have 120 inch 16 x 9 screen on my wall. With the anamorphic lens feature, does it automatically fill that screen when watching a movie with letterbox bars, or do I need a special screen specifically for the anamorphic lens? If I need a special anamorphic screen for this, does this mean when I'm playing a video game or watching DirecTV, that the screen will not be filled? My main concern with buying an anamorphic screen, when im not utilizing the anamorphic lens, other content will not fill the whole screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What projector are you being sold? An anamorphic lens is a separate lens, placed in front of the projector's lens.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

What projector are you being sold? An anamorphic lens is a separate lens, placed in front of the projector's lens.
I think Runco offers some models packaged with their lens. It's a premium but available, but as you said generally unheard of. Possible the projector being sold is capable of using a lens.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page