Getting my first screen - Elite, Favi, or Mustang? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

This probably has been discussed before, but search on the forum has not got me helpful or up-to-date information. I'm looking for a 120-125" motorized screen for a 17'x12' light controlled media room. My search so far narrowed down to these three:

FAVI HD-120 16:9/120-Inch Electric Projector Screen

http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-HD-120-16-120-Inch-Projector/dp/B0026DTP2S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=194L7QW9R1NLY&coliid=I1PNXBORHLC6CP

$257

Elite Screens ELECTRIC125H Electric Projection Screen -125-Inch 16:9 AR

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ELECTRIC125H-Projection-125-Inch/dp/B000Q87LM6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=194L7QW9R1NLY&coliid=I2LUSPSF0QC19B

$230

Mustang 120" Electric Matte White Screehttp://www.costco.com/Mustang-120%22-Electric-Matte-White-Screen.product.11499719.html

$230

Elite Screens VMAX120UWH2 Electric Projection Screen (120 Inch 16:9 AR)

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-VMAX120UWH2-Electric-Projection/dp/B0006I09MK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=194L7QW9R1NLY&coliid=I8FDDJ2WJ87K8

$480

The first three cost almost the same, I can't tell any difference in their features or specs. The last one costs almost double, which is still within my budget, but I can't tell why it's different from the other Elite that costs half the price. Mustang is from Costco so I could avoid possible damage in shipping such a long item that some people experienced.   Please help me to understand any differences between them, and understand why people choose one over the other. Thanks!                                                      

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bump. I have same question. Looking for the first three screens
post #3 of 11 Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I can't comment on the others but I've had the Focupix screen from htdepot.com for well over 2 years and I'm certain it is the EXACT SAME screen as the Favi from Amazon other than the name sticker they put on it. The pics and specs posted on Amazon & ebay are identical! Mine is also 120", 16:9 with 1.3 gain. I've NEVER had any wrinkles or waves and it's always operated perfectly. Been up & down a gazillion times. I use it with both my Viewsonic Pro8100 and Epson 3010 (for 3D). I paid something like $450 delivered for mine and thought that was a good deal. If you get one like mine for $257 it's a STEAL. JMHO, hope it's helpful. Good luck with your choice.

Ed
post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone could help? The first two are the most popular on Amazon, sure there is someone here who has one of them? Or are these too "low-end" screens that nobody here cares for?

post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

Anyone could help? The first two are the most popular on Amazon, sure there is someone here who has one of them? Or are these too "low-end" screens that nobody here cares for?

You didn't read my previous post?confused.gif I have the Favi that you linked to, it just happens to say Focupix instead of Favi.wink.gif It is the SAME screen.

Ed
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

You didn't read my previous post?confused.gif I have the Favi that you linked to, it just happens to say Focupix instead of Favi.wink.gif It is the SAME screen.

Ed

I sure did, thanks for your post. I was hoping I could get more info about the other screens too.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know why the VMAX120UWH2 is priced higher than electric125H? What is the difference?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
In case anyone is still interested in this thread, I purchased a Mustang screen (fixed frame 106") from Amazon. I can't give a review on it as I was missing some clips that are required to hold the screen to the frame. However, I can tell you that the Mustang customer service is absolutely atrocious. Here's a breakdown of what I've gone through.

Call #1 (Monday, 7/8). Called Mustang, held for 42 minutes before someone answered the phone. Gentleman took down my information. I let him know what I was missing, and he said that a replacement hardware package would be shipped out within 48 hours

E-mail #1 (Friday 7/12) - Hadn't seen anything yet so I sent an e-mail to them asking for status or tracking # on my parts. I got no response.

Call #2 (Saturday 7/13) - I called to check status, and was told my parts hadn't shipped yet. The rep could not tell me why, and since it was the weekend said he could not check status. Asked me to call back Monday.

Call #3 (Monday 7/15) - I called and spoke with Frank. He informed me that they were still waiting on a proof of purchase to be sent in by me. It sure would have been nice to know I had to send this to them in the first place. I voiced my displeasure Frank told me that it was a supervisor who I initially spoke with, so he was not sure why I was not told about needing the proof of purchase. I got an e-mail address to send the proof of purchase to and hung up.

Call #4 (Monday 7/15) - I had to call back because the e-mail address that I got bounced back to me as undeliverable. I called back and spoke to Tony. I verified that I did have the correct e-mail address, but it would not go through. Tony gave me a fax # to send the proof of purchase to.

Needless to say, regardless of what happens, I will never, EVER purchase a Mustang product again. I have tried to be patient with this as I'm also in sales & customer service, but this is the absolute worst service I have ever received. I've got this thing laying in the middle of my floor in pieces because I can't do anything with it.

Beyond frustrated.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I can't comment on the others but I've had the Focupix screen from htdepot.com for well over 2 years and I'm certain it is the EXACT SAME screen as the Favi from Amazon other than the name sticker they put on it. The pics and specs posted on Amazon & ebay are identical! Mine is also 120", 16:9 with 1.3 gain. I've NEVER had any wrinkles or waves and it's always operated perfectly. Been up & down a gazillion times. I use it with both my Viewsonic Pro8100 and Epson 3010 (for 3D). I paid something like $450 delivered for mine and thought that was a good deal. If you get one like mine for $257 it's a STEAL. JMHO, hope it's helpful. Good luck with your choice.

Ed

I am looking to get the FAVI HD-92 and according to the manufacture http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026DVEVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Quote:
Favi's electric screen technology has effectively eliminated the need for a more expensive high tension screen.

From your experience it sounds like what they claim is correct.

From reading this thread it also sounds like a good idea to avoid Mustang screens, hope you had better luck getting yours installed OP.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM

I have the Elite Screens ELECTRIC100H Electric Projection Screen (100-Inch 16:9 AR) - $171 from Amazon. It's in a 13x15 light-controlled media room.

It was easy to mount, image quality with an Epson 8350 is very good, no wrinkles, and goes up and down smoothly, but slowly. The speed, however, really doesn't matter.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

I am looking to get the FAVI HD-92 and according to the manufacture http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026DVEVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
From your experience it sounds like what they claim is correct.

From reading this thread it also sounds like a good idea to avoid Mustang screens, hope you had better luck getting yours installed OP.[/quote]

+1!

It's been true for me!smile.gif

Ed
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page