Sun incidence - how to best avoid it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, I finally bought my gear. I live in Brazil, I went to NYC early this month (March) and bought me a few toys. Namely, a Denon A/V Receiver 3313 CI, Ascend Acoustics speakers, BenQ w1070 projector and a few cables... so yeah, pretty happy.

Now I gotta buy me a screen and decide where to place it. I've got two big and tall windows in my room. They should be over 5 feet tall and them both combined should have a length of about 8ft and a bit. So they are something I should be very wary of when it comes to ambient light (since the other source is my door and it can be closed. Luckily or not, the sunbeams never go directly into the room, at the top incidence it comes sideways. I'll show you with a nice paintbrush drawing (click to enlarge):

So I've got two options due to the screen size I want, around 100-120'', due to the throw distance (I tried getting a w1080st but it was out of stock everywhere) I get, which is either right on the windows wall and the other one is right on the door wall. Now, I think it's a pain in the door wall cause then I would have to pause anything when someone goes in or out the door, so I think I'm liking better the next to the window setup. Here's another beautiful artistic drawing of how it would be:

Is it reasonable? If the back side of the screen has a blackout, will I need another heavy draper behind it or will the screens own blackout do the job of blocking the light coming from behind? The room has yellow non glossy paint, it's not very dark yellow but quite far from "white". I'd be watching mostly 2D so I'm thinking around 1.0-1.2 on a high contrast grey screen. Is it wise? This is my first projector, so I'm kinda in the dark here (pun unintended and not very good).

Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Plzzz, any help?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Blau blau?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 531
black out blinds for the windows
post #5 of 6 Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed! Black out blinds or heavy curtains would be the way to cut down the ambient daylight.

I have an 8' wide sliding glass door on the wall to the right of where I want to put my screen. I've been quoted about $5,000 for a screen that can work well in a light room. But I can buy good blinds to remove the light for a lot less than $5,000.

BTW, the pictures don't get much bigger when clicking...
post #6 of 6 Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow theyre not getting bigger AT ALL! I cant reupload 'em right now, Im not at home, tuesday I'll do tho. Thanks!

I'll call the screens manufacturer and ask him on how dependable is the built n blackout on the screen.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page