Black Diamond Zero Edge opinions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,
I'll be moving back to America from Japan soon and I'm trying to plan my home theater in advance.
In Japan I have a 80" Kikuchi Stylist screen with 0.85 gain and I just love it. I've had it for 5 years now and I'm currently using it with an Epson 5020UBe.

I'm a big fan of Kikuchi, so I was planning on buying a new 120" screen and bringing it back to America. However, lately I've been noticing that a fixed screen might be my best option and it looks like there are some good ones in America. I'm particularly interested in the SI Black Diamond Zero Edge.

Does anybody have one of these? It's really expensive, so I'm curious what everybody thinks of it?
It'll be mounted on a brick wall in a basement with no windows and the 5020UBe is fairly bright already...
Frame looks aside, is it really that much better than a SI Sensation screen?

Does anybody have a better reccomendation? Advise?
I really need to decide if I'm going to buy a new Kikuchi screen while I'm still in Japan or hold off for a fixed screen in America. When I get back, I can check them out in a store, but I'll lose my chance to buy a Kikuchi for a while...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a Zero edge and I love what it does for my CF181 PJ. I do have to say that I am also using a Darblet and a Radiance VP and the PJ was calibrated with the. The CF181 has it's problems, but with the combination of the ZE, VP, Darblet and calibration its amazing. With all of the extra pieces it's difficult to say which makes the PQ great, I would say it's the calibration with the Radiance. At one point I was going to sell the CF181, but the way it looks now..... I will keep for few more years.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
KDH

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just so blown away by the vpl-hw50es with a ps3 screen invations 1.4 BD watching Animals United on netflix in 3D. I just had to post.
pRC set at 50 and sharp set at 40. Not a hint of any rining or any thing but just the sharpest picture I think I have ever seen on a display. OUTSTANDING.
Pure eye candy. Normaly I can not go any where near those settings. Normal tops is 30 sharo and 30 RC. and thats pushing it for sure.
But for some reason this movie is just above and over the top.
Just had to post..

Had the cable guys over to do some work on the internet and it stopped them dead in there tracks............
The question they all had was Man where did you get a flat pannel tv that big. LOL
Exactly what I was going for when I bought this set up.

Just had to let you all know very happy with this set up.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

Just so blown away by the vpl-hw50es with a ps3 screen invations 1.4 BD watching Animals United on netflix in 3D. I just had to post.
pRC set at 50 and sharp set at 40. Not a hint of any rining or any thing but just the sharpest picture I think I have ever seen on a display. OUTSTANDING.
Pure eye candy. Normaly I can not go any where near those settings. Normal tops is 30 sharo and 30 RC. and thats pushing it for sure.
But for some reason this movie is just above and over the top.
Just had to post..

Had the cable guys over to do some work on the internet and it stopped them dead in there tracks............
The question they all had was Man where did you get a flat pannel tv that big. LOL
Exactly what I was going for when I bought this set up.

Just had to let you all know very happy with this set up.

Does the shimmer bother you? I was watching hockey and the shimmer was quite bad. Not sure if I want to keep my 110 zero edge, wondering if I made the wrong choice.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
KDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerx View Post

Does the shimmer bother you? I was watching hockey and the shimmer was quite bad. Not sure if I want to keep my 110 zero edge, wondering if I made the wrong choice.

With a hockey game and lots of white ice could be bothersome. Setup is key here. This is an angular reflective screen. It acts like a mirror. so look at how the angel from the projector is reflecting to where you sit. Bright White is where you would see this and movies and other things not much at all. Now the animal movie I was talking about had lots of white areas and snow type things, I was not bothered at all by shimmer.
I do not watch hockey so I can not comment about that.
At first I was botherd but Like I say setup is key and getting the angel right makes all the difference in the world. My room is light peach white celings and light tan carpet. The BD works well in this setting. Liveing room den kitchen combo room. Its where we live cook ect.
I have mine mounted lower so I do not have to look up and the projector is low. A little above center of the screen. This works out the best for me.
Another good option is very high with the projector high but I have a cabinet that we have it mountied in. so the high mount is out.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 AM
KDH

Another comment is my local high end av store High Fy Buys.has the screen with the sony 25000 thousand dollar projector. In its own room.
I would think they would have what they consider the best screen to show off such an expensive projector.
Another room has all the others with differing screens so for what ever thats worth.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

With a hockey game and lots of white ice could be bothersome. Setup is key here. This is an angular reflective screen. It acts like a mirror. so look at how the angel from the projector is reflecting to where you sit. Bright White is where you would see this and movies and other things not much at all. Now the animal movie I was talking about had lots of white areas and snow type things, I was not bothered at all by shimmer.
I do not watch hockey so I can not comment about that.
At first I was botherd but Like I say setup is key and getting the angel right makes all the difference in the world. My room is light peach white celings and light tan carpet. The BD works well in this setting. Liveing room den kitchen combo room. Its where we live cook ect.
I have mine mounted lower so I do not have to look up and the projector is low. A little above center of the screen. This works out the best for me.
Another good option is very high with the projector high but I have a cabinet that we have it mountied in. so the high mount is out.

What do you mean by angle of the projector? I have mine temporarily aligned dead center of the screen with the middle of the lense throw being about 3 inches from the top (so I am using just a bit of vertical shift).
post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
KDH

Think mirror. The angel the light hits the screen. not lens shift.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page