Is my Elite Screen ezCinam screen causing "texturing" in my projector image? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got and Epson 8350 and an Elite Screen ezCinema screenhttp://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-F84NWV-Projection-Screen-Telescoping/dp/B000HQJXLO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1364831839&sr=8-7&keywords=ezcinema+pull+up. I'm in a 10'x12' room, completely light controlled, dark blue walls, tan carpet, and white ceiling. The throw distance is 8' and the viewing distance is just under that.

The problem I'm having is that the screen material http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/sc_b004vfhyh2-06closeuplg.jpg "shows up" in the image. In brighter screen you can see this texture and it can be somewhat distracting. It also appears to have that "screen door effect".

Is this a bad screen for my projector/throw distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I woulda' just bought an 80" television if that was my room. Under 8 feet sitting distance is too close,IMHO, for an LCD projector, especially the Epson.

The 8350 will look really good at 10+ feet. When using a projector....I would say 100" minimum for the cinematic effect (just MY opinion). 84" screen and low-end modeled projector vs. an 80 " TV? I'd take the TV every time. Unless you have plans to expand to a different room.

My friend runs the 8350 on a 106" screen from 10 feet back and it looks good. I used to have the 8350 and it lit my 153" screen (15' sitting distance). It's a good projector for the money, you just have to have the room for it.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm not planning to be at my current residence for more than another year. So when I end up moving I wanted a projector that would work in a lager room as well.

Just trying to make this work the best I can but thanks.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

I'd box it up, buy a cheap 55" tv and when you move, make sure you're sitting at least 10 feet back and light up a 120 (+) screen. Then use the television in a different room when you move. Save the bulb.

I don't mean to sound negative but your room doesn't sound the best for a projector set-up (at this time)

Good luck.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandiggity View Post

I'm not planning to be at my current residence for more than another year. So when I end up moving I wanted a projector that would work in a lager room as well.

Just trying to make this work the best I can but thanks.

It is probably both the cheap screen, close seating distance and overly bright projector very close to the screen.
If the projector has a manual iris close it, if you are not on low lamp mode put it in that mode, if you have not properly set brightness and contrast with a disk do so.
Short of sending the screen back, for a different brand or screen fabric, there is not much you can do. It is helpful to get screen fabric samples before you buy a screen so you can check this sort of issue.
Good luck!

Wow just looked at the link, that fabric has some serious texture, send the thing back and look at a Dalite Picture king for your current use. Dalite will send a pack of all their fabrics so you can check it out before you order.

Your screen.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Why get the OP to spend more projector $$ on this room and setup? This room would be better served with something other than a projector. Save the money for when the OP moves to his new place and has a room that can handle a projector properly (less than one year) . Then use the saved money for a larger decent screen and some room treatments.

I think the emotional aspect of his purchase is clouding the issue. If he had posted his ideas for his room before he purchased, I honestly don't think anyone would have suggested that this setup, in its current configuration, would be wise.

Current use, less than 8 feet seating distance will not work with whatever screen he chose. The Epson screen door effect will still be noticeable and much too pronounced. The OP will still be frustrated and disappointed. Helping to salvage this situation isn't going to help, just lead to further annoyance.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Why get the OP to spend more projector $$ on this room and setup? This room would be better served with something other than a projector. Save the money for when the OP moves to his new place and has a room that can handle a projector properly (less than one year) . Then use the saved money for a larger decent screen and some room treatments.

I think the emotional aspect of his purchase is clouding the issue. If he had posted his ideas for his room before he purchased, I honestly don't think anyone would have suggested that this setup, in its current configuration, would be wise.

Current use, less than 8 feet seating distance will not work with whatever screen he chose. The Epson screen door effect will still be noticeable and much too pronounced. The OP will still be frustrated and disappointed. Helping to salvage this situation isn't going to help, just lead to further annoyance.

My side seats are 7' form an 80" Dalite 2.8 HP and there is NO screen texture and I am completely out of the viewing cone. It is not to big and it looks like an 80" LCD. If I feel like laying on the floor in front of the projector, I am about 4.5' from the screen with no texture and a stunning 720p image. The OP has the projector and all he needs is a screen without texture and he is good to go. Next place he upgrades his screen to something larger.. What's he going to do with a tiny 50" TV. I guess it could go in the kitchen...
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

What projector are you using? The OP is using an 8350, which I had, and the SDE is very apparent at 7-8 feet. maybe the smaller screen means less SDE??? I don't know but he mentioned he sees it now. If he sees it now, I'm pretty sure a different screen won't help (with SDE).

I could be wrong but I'm trying to save him some frustration. I'd wait and save till I moved into his new place then go bigger (120" +)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I missed the screen door issue.. hard to believe you would see it on an 80" screen.. I have an HC3000 DLP form 2005 and no SDE at 80" you can hardly see i a foot away..

OP, put a piece of white standard paper up on your screen and see if you can still see the screen door Effect from you seating. If so then that projector is not going to work so well in the small room.. If the paper looks good, then it is the screen.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

you don't get SDE because of the pixel structure of your DLP. I now have the BenQ W7000 (DLP) and JVC X-55 (LcoS + E-shift), no SDE to worry about with these but the Epson LCD's....very noticeable. I used to think I was seeing the Seymour weave from 8 feet away but it turned out to be SDE from my Epson's.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 16
I have an 8100 and about the same size room and throw distance. 80" screen black out room. Looks great. I bought a cheap screen meant for business traveling. but its not textured the way yours is. Got it on amazon i believe. Find i new cheap screen and use that. Id take my 80" screen with a projector over a TV any day

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page