Need Ideas for Screen Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have had a Da Lite motorized screen with IR in my home for the past 8 years and everything worked fine with my Harmony until I switched to Dish Network and got their Hopper receiver. There are IR codes that the Hopper uses on the UP/DOWN arrow navigation keys which I use when navigating the UI that sometimes send a false "SCREEN UP" command to my Da Lite electric screen. This happened so often that I ended up having to dedicate a custom key on my Harmony remote so I could quickly put the screen back down. I've been dealing with this for about 6 months now, and the end result is that the constant UP/DOWN of my projector screen ended up burning out the motor. I have a new motor on the way now, but I obviously need to fix the root of the problem.

I have looked into the Da Lite VPI which would automatically control the screen based on when my projector is turned on/off (Panasonic PT-AX200U), but that will not work since my projector does not have the necessary 12v trigger to control an electric screen. I also thought about using the trigger that I THOUGHT my receiver had, but it turns out there is no trigger there either (Pioneer VSX-1018-AH-K).

So, short of going with a wall mounted switch, what other options are out there for controlling this screen automatically? Are there any IR screen controllers out there that would mate up with my Da Lite screen which would operate on different codes, or maybe even better, allow me to specify what code to use so I could avoid conflicts in the future? Or is there another way to "sense" whether my projector is on or not and then trigger the screen UP/DOWN commands based on that?

I'm not much for electrical schematics and soldering, so something out of the box would be preferable, but I'm willing to learn if building something custom is going to be the only option. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Liked: 24
I have a simple solution.. what I did is I used this: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?sku=7456838&af=1525&cse=1525 and I took one of those 12v bricks like you get for charging cellphones or whatever.. cut off the end and bound those to the 12v trigger 1/8" adapter that came with my screen. This creates an instant 12v trigger that can be independently controlled by switching that outlet on/off via zwave. I send it signals from roomie-remote, through my Homeseer server. However, you could do the same from a Harmony 890 or another similar remote.

The advantage of doing this is that it's infinitely more reliable than IR, and I don't need line of sight.. also can integrate with other activities and using Homeseer , one can do all kinds of complex logic as well.

You don't have to use Zwave though.. just know that any 12v power brick of sufficient amperage can drive a screen so that it works as a trigger just like a native output on a projector. Also, most receivers have 12v triggers and you may just be able to use that instead.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page