How do I clean my monitor's matte screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spilled some OJ near my monitor and it got on the screen, which has a matte finish. I want to clean it off but I don't want to wear at the matte finish. Anyone have any advice as to how I should clean it, preferably with regular household cleaning supplies? I also have a microfiber cloth if that would be of any use. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2013, 06:58 PM
PLB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry I have similar but more serious problems of my own. I got some gunk on my Da-Lite Hi-Power screen. I'm afraid to rub it or use a strong solvent. Any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

I spilled some OJ near my monitor and it got on the screen, which has a matte finish. I want to clean it off but I don't want to wear at the matte finish. Anyone have any advice as to how I should clean it, preferably with regular household cleaning supplies? I also have a microfiber cloth if that would be of any use. Thanks.

Hi James,

The BEST way to clean, and this holds true for anything, is to use the LEAST invasive cleaning method FIRST and to resist going to cleaners/chemicals which would mean using a microfiber cloth with no cleaning agent. However, since you have a sticky substance beyond just dust on your screen you will have to go to the next least invasive method.

DO NOT, I repeat, do not ever use any household cleaners such as windex, fantastic, alcohol etc. DO NOT use paper towels or any paper products as they can be abrasive. For a cleaning cloth, if you had to, you could use a soft absorbent terry cloth towel but a microfiber cloth is best as it is foremost SOFT and absorbent.

*** First, just to be safe, unplug the TV as you will next be using water around an electrical device!

I would wet a small section (maybe 1/4) of the microfiber cloth with some water and then as gently as possible massage the areas with the OJ in a circular pattern and remove the splotches. You can then dampen/wet another clean section (maybe another 1/4) of the cloth and again in a circular pattern buff the entire surface of the screen and then use the rest of the cloth that is dry to buff/polish the entire screen and you should be good to go.

I feel the ideal way would be to have TWO microfiber cloths and to use one that is damp/wet to generally and gently massage the screen and then to right away use the second dry microfiber cloth to dry and GENTLY buff the screen to perfection however using just the one cloth would be fine, just keep a portion of the cloth dry for the buffing/finishing.

You can also use one of the available TV screen cleaners but the water I find works unless a somewhat deeper cleaning is necessary.

Remember, NEVER use household cleaners only water or dedicated screen cleaner. Do not use paper towels as they are abrasive. If using water or screen cleaner, spray the cloth and not the screen itself. ALWAYS use the LEAST invasive method first. Massage in a circular motion where possible. And last but not least BE GENTLE!

Hope this helps!

...Glenn smile.gif
Reply Screens