Screen recommendations / questions. Comprimise daytime or nightime viewing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bare with me here,
I am still in the process of deciding on a screen to pair with either an Epson 6020 or a Sony hw50es. It will be in an living room with some ambient light during the day. My seating ranges from 9' on the sides to almost 14' at the center / optimal viewing location. Projector placment is flexible. Initially, though expensive, I was thinking Black Diamond because this seems to be the standard for rooms like mine. The problem is, with so many variables to consider, without being able to try different projector and screen combinations in my room, I am forced to do tons of research before I buy. It seems your return options are limited for both the screens and the projector even when spending $5K+.

So I borrowed an Epson 3020 to get an idea of brightness and screen size (first projector). I am impressed / surprised with the overall image brightness and quality even in the middle of the day with all blinds open from all seating locations. I am projecting straight on my light brown / toape textured wall. It was recommended that I go with a SI Black Diamond 106" to 110" max screen based on my room, what I'm watching, and viewing distance. The problem is that when zooming to an image size of 130"+ I still don't feel it is too big for the room. Once problem I DO see is that with brighter scenes it lights up the entire room. As I said my walls are toape and I have vaulted white ceiling that is about 4 to 5 feet from the top of the screen when zoomed to max size. Carpet is tan.

Now my questions:
- When projecting on a screen rather than my wall, with there be less reflection back into the room? Will the light reflected into the room be more or less with a higher gain screen (Black Diamond 1.4)?
Am I sacrificing picture quality when the room IS blacked out at night if using a Black Diamond or Firehawk screen rather than a screen optimized for a blacked out room? How do they compare?
- With an Epson 6020 or Sony Hw50es and screen get me close to the image quality of my 1080i LCD TV compared to the 3020 directly on the wall?

Now that I have seen how good a Blu-ray movie can look in my living room right on the wall at 130" I am more hesitant to compromise the viewing experience of movies at night for a brighter and higher contrast image during the day. Especially when paying such a premium as you do on the Black Diamond or Firehawk G3. Also, the biggest BD they offer is 113"(115" for Zero Edge). I don't want to turn my room into a cave as this is my living room but I do want to optimize my movie viewing experience at night AND get good daytime movie/sports viewing on occasion during the day if possible.

Any advice and recommendations is appreciated. I have already been talking to the AVS guys but also wanted the unbiased opinions of the other forum members.

Thanks all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Buy a big TV for daytime and worry about projection at night. Right now you are wowed buy size, in a month or two you will be worried about washed out image from light colored room, in 6 months you will may be wishing you got a smaller screen when the lamp ages and the picture dims on a 130" screen. There is more to it than Size as you are finding out .. Yes Go big or Go home is the banter you will here, but if you go to big for a given projector or don't treat any of the walls/ceiling in a poorly light controlled room (light walls and ceiling) you may regret it later. This is where the exotic screens like BD FH and HP come into play.. trying to fix things caused by environment issues that can not be made optimal. None of these are optimal in all circumstances and some are rather expensive. Good luck, it's a real pain in the butt trying to figure out what will work without seeing it first hand..
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input but that's the reason for the questions. If I just decide that I want to optimize viewing at night but without blacking out my room, should I choose a different screen type. Right now the thinking is that with a bright projector like the Epson or Sony paired with a Black Diamond I am maximizing performance during the day and not sacrificing that much at night when compared to purchasing a screen that is optimized for dedicated blacked out room. I know at night, I will be compromising the whole movie watching experience because of my light colored walls, ceiling, carpet, etc... but will the reflected brightness from the huge image be significantly less with 1.4 gain screen compared to projecting on my lighter colored wall? I'm not talking image brightness but more the screen lighting up the room with bright scenes. Can screen gain/material minimize is or is it all room treatment?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page