Does anyone actually follow the THX recommendations for viewing distance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've noticed when people talk about their setups, there are a good number that either sit quite a bit closer than the THX recommendations, or who project much wider for a given seating position.

If the THX recommendations are seen as overly conservative, I'd be curious to know if people are specifying screen widths based on some other guidance, rule of thumb (e.g. seating position 1.25 x screen width) etc. Bottom line is in this community people seem to go quite a bit wider than the various recommendations out there.

Dave M

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Those seats down in front at the movie theater normally have people in them.. even when there are plenty of seats throughout the theater.. I am 3/4 of the way back as I like the screen to just fill my vision and not have to move my eyes to see what is going on.. to each his own, they are recommendations and seating distance is personal preference.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in gva View Post

I've noticed when people talk about their setups, there are a good number that either sit quite a bit closer than the THX recommendations, or who project much wider for a given seating position.

If the THX recommendations are seen as overly conservative, I'd be curious to know if people are specifying screen widths based on some other guidance, rule of thumb (e.g. seating position 1.25 x screen width) etc. Bottom line is in this community people seem to go quite a bit wider than the various recommendations out there.

Dave M
Keep in mind the THX specs that are quoted here and elsewhere are for 'furthest recommended' and 'furthest acceptable' viewing distances. Basically their recommended LAST row distance and furthest LAST row that will qualify for THX certification... I've not seen THX closest or ideal. SMPTE and Fox have ideals, and they are closer to 1.25 screen widths..

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
You also have to take height of the screen into account. people seem to have less problem viewing a wider scope image compared to the same width 16:9 image.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in gva View Post

Dave M

Sit a bit closer than THX? Sorry but thx "recommendations" are already a bit absurd and even more so for 16:9 content, and not scope.

I really could care less what anyone does or recommend: most people do not want to sit 8' from my 82" screen for 2 hours...or 11' from a 100" for that matter.

That's most people.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #6 of 9 Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

Keep in mind the THX specs that are quoted here and elsewhere are for 'furthest recommended' and 'furthest acceptable' viewing distances. Basically their recommended LAST row distance and furthest LAST row that will qualify for THX certification... I've not seen THX closest or ideal. SMPTE and Fox have ideals, and they are closer to 1.25 screen widths..

They (THX) have an ideal of 36 degrees which is easily calculated for a given screen size.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I've never in my life contemplated the THX recommendations for viewing angle when going to the movies. I always chose the size of the image I wanted, via choosing the movie theater (do I want to see this movie on the biggest screen or not?) and my own choice of seating (do I care about full immersion? If no, maybe I'll sit middle to back, if yes, I'll sit within the first 3rd or so).

When it came to creating my own system I just re-created that type of choice. I use a Variable Size Image approach: a screen with 4 way masking that changes size/shape as desired and I zoom the image to whatever size I feel like at the time, or given the variability of source material (e.g. some DVD, some Blu-Rays being better source quality than others, and regular TV shows) I vary the size to maximize image quality. My seating distance is around 11 feet or so. So I can have anywhere from a 88" diag 16:9 image up to a 135" diag image for an IMAX-like effect, or up to a 10 foot 5 inch wide image for CinemaScope films.

Best decision I made in my home theater.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Sit a bit closer than THX? Sorry but thx "recommendations" are already a bit absurd and even more so for 16:9 content, and not scope.

I really could care less what anyone does or recommend: most people do not want to sit 8' from my 82" screen for 2 hours...or 11' from a 100" for that matter.

That's most people.

James

Wow, you know a different type of person than I do.

I have tons of family and friends who watch TV and movies at my home theater. From our 11 to 11.5 foot viewing distance 102" is usually the smallest size we watch for 16:9 material,
often larger, and much larger for 2:35:1 films (e.g. often 120" wide or so). Everyone loves it and wants to come back for more. There's a reason IMAX has become so popular.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You also have to take height of the screen into account. people seem to have less problem viewing a wider scope image compared to the same width 16:9 image.

Totally agree. You can go way beyond many of the "recommendations" or "standards" when talking about a scope screen. I have a 13.3 ft wide screen and a 12'4" distance to my eyes on the front row and it never seems even sort of "too close". Guests seem to prefer it as well.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page