Buying my first screen & looking for suggestions. 120" $500 range - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

I have a Sharp XV-Z30000 projector. I don't know anything about screens and honestly I'm not picky. I just want the best screen I can get for around $500 (up to $700 max).

Thanks for the help!

Please let me know if you need any more information. Main viewing distances are going to be around 12-15 feet. There is a 6" riser in the back row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
You will need to do a little research or at least know what kind of a screen .. Manual pull down, electric, or fixed frame..
post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I did some research and think I'm going with this one - http://store.cousinsvideo.com/93228.html

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER120WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366S0UW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366666072&sr=8-2&keywords=Elite+Screen+Sable+Frame

Comments on both? Why is the 2nd one for 3D? I will be watching a lot of 3D
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

One is a manual pull down and the other is fixed frame.. which is it you need?\
Maybe you posted the wrong link, the second one says nothing about 3D, it is just a white screen..

You may want to do a few forum searches on Dalite HP.. if you can mount your projector in the optimal place you will have stellar bight 3D but there may be other caveats in you setup that would be not so good..
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not really to concerned about fixed or manual pull down. I don't have plans of having a TV behind the screen and I guess that is why some use pull down screens? I personally am ok with either one. I like that the fixed have a nice border around them.

On the link you are right, you have to click the box on the Amazon page that says "16:9 120" AirBright3D2" to see the 3D screen. Looks like it has a higher gain which is why it would be better for 3D?

I'll do some research on the Dalite HP

heading home from work so I will check it out tonight
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Well there is good reason to want fixed frame over pull down, the drop l down with develop waves within a year or so unless it is the very expensive tabbed tensioned type

I can not tell you which screen is better than the next. Entry level $500 ready made screens you see on Amazon and Ebay are all about the same. Name brand screen manufactures give you a choice of fabrics and typically you call them and ask them to send you samples to test in you environment. The more expensive screens will have more choices of fabric surfaces, better more substantial frame and are easier to assemble. Pull down and electric have higher quality rollers and parts as the prices go up.

I don't have any other first hand experience as I have only owned a couple of cheap portables and pull downs and Dalite HP 2.8 pulldown (2.8 is no longer made and been replaced with a lesser quality 2.4) You won't find to many people that buy every screen under the sun like they do projectors, they get a good screen and replace the projectors much more often.

Do some searches for Entry level screen or screens under $500 in this forum, the same question get asked at least once a month and around the holidays every week it seems.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page