Screen Recommendation Sonly VPL-HW50ES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony VPL-HW50ES and I am trying to find a suitable screen for about $1,000. My projector currently is located in the family room with some ambient light although I do most of my film watching at night. My projector is desk mounted about 18 inches from center and 11 feet from the current screen. I sit around 10-11 feet away. I am looking for an upgrade to my 92 inch optoma grey wolf screen and hoping for about 110 inch screen. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What kind of screen? Fixed, motorized, manual pull, AT, etc?
Will you be watching 3D? If so you should consider higher than 1 gain in a family room.
What colour walls?

I have a HW50 but I have it in a dark cave environment with a Elunevision matte white 4k fixed screen. I got the screen from costco.

It does very well with low or no ambient light but light from the side washes out the picture quite a bit. If I had to do it again I would look for a 1-1.3 gain grey screen.
DrZaus likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

What kind of screen? Fixed, motorized, manual pull, AT, etc?
Will you be watching 3D? If so you should consider higher than 1 gain in a family room.
What colour walls?

I have a HW50 but I have it in a dark cave environment with a Elunevision matte white 4k fixed screen. I got the screen from costco.

It does very well with low or no ambient light but light from the side washes out the picture quite a bit. If I had to do it again I would look for a 1-1.3 gain grey screen.

I have the same projector , I purchased the Screen Innovations SolarHD 4k 1.37 gain.. smile.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Liked: 17
I also recently purchased a HW50ES and am waiting for it to come in to my dealer. I am screen shopping now. Looking at a 126 to 130" diagonal 16:9 screen with 2 rows and primary seating at approx 14'. I am strongly considering:

1. Seymour AV Glacier White premier frame in 16:9 configuration with magnets installed for future masking panels
2. Carada brilliant white screen 16:9
3. The above mentioned Screen Innovations SolarHD 4K 16:9

It's a very tough decision. Seymour AV looks to have my favorite frame (premier frame that is....Economy frame had no velvet on the frame so it is out) and I really like the idea of having masking panels to get rid of the darn bars while watching a 2.35:1 movie. I also ordered a screen sample and am very impressed with the thickness and apparent durability of the glacier white. Actual measured gain compared to the other two screens is a minus though. Carada is the value winner here and the velvet covered frame at the price of approximately $1000 is tempting. I have ordered screen material from them but have not received it yet. From what I have read it is thinner than the Seymour glacier white and would require black velvet or other treatment behind the screen which ups the cost factor and decreases value for me. And then there is the SI screen which (again from what I have researched - not first hand knowledge) appears to have the screen closest to Stewart Sutdiotek 130 and the best gain.

I am really leaning towards Seymour as the manual masking panel option is really floating my boat.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page