Thoughts on buying the maximum screen size and adjusting zoom/image based on optimal size for what you are watching.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm really having a hard time deciding on screen size. The recommended max for my viewing distance (10' to 13') is 110". Already have the projector. 110" seems like a nice big image from 13'. This works for my current room. Even when zoomed to 120" I don't mind it but will probably stay within to recommended range of 1.25 to 1.5 X diagnal screen size.

My question is:
Does anyone ever shrink their image down (zoom out) when the max image that uses your full screen size is not optimal either because someone sitting closer is sensitive to the larger screen or maybe you just don't feel like watching everything at max size?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering why you wouldn't just get the max screen size and then adjust the image accordingly based on what you're watching. Obviously it would look better aesthetically when filling out the whole screen though I'm not sure you would notice if you weren't using the full screen in a dark room. Espeically on a HC gray screen (Black Diamond / Firehawk).

It just seems if you go max (or even a bit larger than recommended) you will always have the option to shrink the image as necessary and just not use the whole screen. You would not have the option if you go with say 110" but then want to watch something bigger.

What are the drawbacks to not using the whole screen area like say to watch TV at 80" on a 110" screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 174
It looks like crap, it lights up the room and you can tell the image is not framed in black.
I currently use 78" of a 110" screen because I wanted a used 2.8gain HP screen and 110" was what I found. I also had no where to store it until I got a bigger house so I mounted it. I put up and take down (magnets) all this velvet each night.
http://misc.airscapesart.com/masking/

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Liked: 30
It's a great idea provided you have some form of masking both vertically and horizontally, you have every aspect ratio covered and depending on the quality of the source you can display it any size. I currently display bluray scope movies at 130" diagonal but for normal tv I zoom down to 90" diagonal and it's almost like a big plasma screen.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #4 of 4 Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I guess it would be more problematic on a white screen. I will have to see how bad it is on a HC gray screen.
I also still need to research what masking systems are available that DON'T cost $10K +. It seems you can build a masking system that you just adjust to your aspect ratio and size. I'm sure there are those that have done. Just need to research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page