Black Diamond Zero Edge or DNP Blade 08-85. Decisions, decisions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read the threads discussing this very topic but still undecided. These screens are very pricey and I do not have disposable income but because there doesn't seem to be a consensus on getting comparable results going with a DIY screen or something in the sub $1K range I am going to just spend the money and hope I am happy with it in the end.
I have seen all the threads about the black diamond sparkles. I had seen the 92" 1.4 gain offering on the display in a couple different best buys and honestly did not notice the sparkling. I went to best buy today and had them play some bright scenes so I could see if I noticed. I did.
I don't know that I would have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. Probably on a very bright scene but I don't know how much it will bother me at 13' on a 110" screen. I also paced off the locations of my outermost seats. The brightness loss was not as bad as I expected based on some of the posts I read here.
The cost between the BD zero edge and DNP Blade are close enough that cost is not a factor when trying to make a decision.
Apparently the DNP 08-85 has minimal to no sparkling and a much wider viewing angle BUT it is only 0.8 gain so not going to perform as well in a brighter room. My room has side ambient light from a couple windows during the day.

Has anyone actually had these two screens side by side to do a comparison or has it just been based on comparing small screen samples?

Any info/advice to help me make a decision is appreciated. I'm told that the newer black diamond screens have less sparkling than the old demo screens I see at best buy but I don't know how to quantify that.

Sony VPL-HW50ES
12' throw to a 110" to 115" screen.
Seating ranges from 9' to 13.5' in the ideal locations.
Going in a living room with some side ambient light.
Beige walls and white vaulted ceiling about 4' to 5' above the top of the screen. Currently just curtains on the windows.
2 to 3 hours of sports per night during the week and 3 to 4 movies per week.

Thanks all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
If you're concerned with the gain of the 08-85, why not get the Blade with the 23-23 material? No sparkles, and the light drop, while visible, is smooth and free from color fringing issues seen in other "high gain" screens.

Alex
post #3 of 3 Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

If you're concerned with the gain of the 08-85, why not get the Blade with the 23-23 material? No sparkles, and the light drop, while visible, is smooth and free from color fringing issues seen in other "high gain" screens.

The 23-23 does not hold black levels down nearly as much as the 08-85. Unless you want 3D, I would advise against the 23-23.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 8350
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page