Screen for new W1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm purchasing a new W1070 and now need to decide on the screen I want for it. I'm new to the whole projector scene so I bare with me. ;-)

I've determined my mounting location for both the screen and the projector as well as the screen size that I want. My throw distance will be right around 12' and my viewing distance will be right around 13'. I've decided to go with a 120" 16:9 motorized screen. The room I'm in is a den on the first floor of my house. There will be a decent amount of ambient light in this room. However I will be installing blackout shades to go behind the blinds which are behind my couch. These won't always be pulled down though so like I said there will be a fair amount of light in this room. From the reading I've done it sounds like I'd want to go with a grey screen since I have ambient light in the room. I'm just trying to stay under $500 for the screen. I was looking at the Visual Apex 120" motorized screen (VAPEX9120SE), but it's a glass fiber matte white. At $349 the price is exactly what I'm looking for but it's not a grey screen. What kind of effect will this have on my picture if I go with a white screen in a room with ambient light? Is there any other screen out there that is 120" motorized non-tensioned screen for less than $500 that is grey?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Elite Screens VMAX2 106" electric 16:9 1.1 gain
PSB Imagine B fronts, PSB Imagine C center, Boston Acoustic surrounds
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Custom HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

OK I've ordered the W1070 and should have it by midweek. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks. smile.gif

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #3 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
I am in the same boat. I have been looking at Elite screens as they seem to be the best value. I know ambient light and distance play a big part. Have you calculated the size screen you will need?

My question is how do you determine the optimal size? BenQ's site says from 10' the screen size should be 120". But....if you go to projectorcentral.com, the calculation is 92". If you start messing with the zoom on either program, @ 1.15%, the screen is around 106" which is more reasonable.

There is an 106" elite sable cinewhite for less than 300$ on amazon. I am also trying to see what the avs store sells it for.

Let me know what you come up with.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 AM

I have a james screen arriving today... it is a 110'. My BenQ W1070 is also on the same truck for delivery smile.gif I doubt I can get the screen together and projector hung all in one evening. However, I will post my thoughts when I get a chance within the next couple of days.

If you are in a hurry though, the james screen is likely out of the question.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoetz1 View Post

I am in the same boat. I have been looking at Elite screens as they seem to be the best value. I know ambient light and distance play a big part. Have you calculated the size screen you will need?

My question is how do you determine the optimal size? BenQ's site says from 10' the screen size should be 120". But....if you go to projectorcentral.com, the calculation is 92". If you start messing with the zoom on either program, @ 1.15%, the screen is around 106" which is more reasonable.

There is an 106" elite sable cinewhite for less than 300$ on amazon. I am also trying to see what the avs store sells it for.

Let me know what you come up with.

Yeah I'm going with a 120" 16:9 screen. I looked at the same two calculators on BenQ's and projectorcentral's sites. The biggest difference between the sites is that projectorcentral's calculator lets you make adjustments without affecting other adjustments on certain dimensions where BenQ's sites forces the sliders to move on multiple adjustments when moving just one. I'm just guessing here but I'm betting they are forcing those measurements to be tied together so that you are always at the absolute best combination of measurements to get the absolute best image. Whereas projectorcentral allows you to tweak these numbers independently of each other which is a little more realistic, because there are always things that will effect placement of your screen and projector that you just can't get around. The nice thing on there site is they have a green band that basically says if you stay within it you are still getting a very good picture. One thing that makes huge difference in where that green band falls is the screen gain. Elite Screens has a VMAX2 120" 16:9 screen on Amazon for $579, that has a screen gain of 1.0 which will help with my ambient light situation. I'm hoping that I can dig around and find a similar screen with a screen gain of 1.0 that is a little cheaper, but I might just have to make this guy work.
jeffgoetz1 likes this.

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I think I've narrowed down my choice now to the Elite VMAX120XWH2 which I can find for under $500 or the Visual Apex VAPEX9120SE which I can find for about $350. I'm leaning toward the Elite as it looks to have a better viewing angle and I've read more positive reviews on it as well. Does anyone have any experience with either of these screens?

I'm really hoping that I can find a screen that works fairly well with ambient light in the room. I have a couple windows behind my seating as well as a handful of lights in the room and one will usually be on when watching TV or sports.

I received my W1070 yesterday and got it quickly setup in a temporary location so I could test it out. I'm currently throwing it onto a light gray wall and it's around the 120" size maybe a little bigger. I threw on Iron Man 2 and then watched a couple shows last night. The picture is definitely gorgeous, this PJ looks pretty good right out of the box, but the lighting is affecting the picture. Primarily the dark scenes are the problem when light is coming through the windows, even with the blinds drawn. Now I will be putting new shades in with a pull down blackout screen behind them, but I still will want to use my PJ with the windows open from time to time. I know the picture is always going to look best with the shades drawn, but I'm hoping to find a screen that will help my viewing ability when they are open.

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page