Center Stage XD vs Enlightor 4k - AVS Forum
Screens > Center Stage XD vs Enlightor 4k
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 05:12 PM 05-13-2013
I wanted to know the if anyone has had both or seen both. I know the Center Stage is best viewed at 11ft from the screen and the Enlightor 4K is best viewed from 9ft. The Center Stage is much cheaper than the Enlightor 4K, so if I'm 11ft from the screen, is there gonna be that big of a difference?

Glenn Baumann's Avatar Glenn Baumann 05:38 PM 05-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I wanted to know the if anyone has had both or seen both. I know the Center Stage is best viewed at 11ft from the screen and the Enlightor 4K is best viewed from 9ft. The Center Stage is much cheaper than the Enlightor 4K, so if I'm 11ft from the screen, is there gonna be that big of a difference?

Mike Garrett (a.k.a. AV Science Sales 5) has had direct experience with both the XD and 4k!

I believe he had the XD first and now has the 4k so hopefully he will chime in with his subjective experience.

... Glenn smile.gif
hifiaudio2's Avatar hifiaudio2 07:52 AM 05-17-2013
I have the EN4k and got a large sample of the XD. I really wanted to go with the XD because of the extra gain and the cheaper price, but untimately I could see the weave of the XD from 12 feet or more, with video content. So I had to go with the EN4k.

Now, however, I am wanting to move from my EN4k to a Stewart ST130 microperf due to the extra gain I still want and need. That one is about 2 -2.5 times the cost of the EN4k though!
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 07:58 AM 05-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I have the EN4k and got a large sample of the XD. I really wanted to go with the XD because of the extra gain and the cheaper price, but untimately I could see the weave of the XD from 12 feet or more, with video content. So I had to go with the EN4k.

Now, however, I am wanting to move from my EN4k to a Stewart ST130 microperf due to the extra gain I still want and need. That one is about 2 -2.5 times the cost of the EN4k though!

Thanks, Mike said the same thing about the XD material. I see yours been for sale. I might be interested in it in a couple of months when I move
uscmatt99's Avatar uscmatt99 10:31 AM 05-20-2013
I compared samples of the Enlightor 4K, Centerstage XD, and a microperf Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.1. I could see the weave from 9.5 feet where I now sit, and greatly preferred the 4K which just looks as smooth as a solid screen to me. The micro-perf pattern was annoyingly visible to me from 15 feet. I went with the 4K and haven't looked back. I don't anticipate upgrading the screen for years, as opposed to other components in the system, so I wanted to get the best I could afford. I'd love more gain for sure, but I'm not giving up the smooth surface AT.
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 11:49 AM 05-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post

I compared samples of the Enlightor 4K, Centerstage XD, and a microperf Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.1. I could see the weave from 9.5 feet where I now sit, and greatly preferred the 4K which just looks as smooth as a solid screen to me. The micro-perf pattern was annoyingly visible to me from 15 feet. I went with the 4K and haven't looked back. I don't anticipate upgrading the screen for years, as opposed to other components in the system, so I wanted to get the best I could afford. I'd love more gain for sure, but I'm not giving up the smooth surface AT.

I see the Enlightor 4k is the best
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 09:46 AM 05-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Mike Garrett (a.k.a. AV Science Sales 5) has had direct experience with both the XD and 4k!

I believe he had the XD first and now has the 4k so hopefully he will chime in with his subjective experience.

... Glenn smile.gif

Correct and I have spoken with blee0120. I moved from Center Stage XD to the EN4K, so that i would not be able to see the weave. I ended up moving my seating even closer. I was viewing from 11' and now I view from 9'. Since my JVC has plenty of light for my 9' wide scope screen, the lower gain of the EN4K is fine and I like the image much better. Screen also looks better with the lights on. smile.gif
RTK's Avatar RTK 10:28 AM 05-21-2013
I received samples yesterday and while I have NOT thrown up an image to make any comparisons on PQ, the EN4k is really interesting material without the typical fine weave of AT screen material like XD, Draper, etc. Best way for me to describe it is that its similar in texture to a thin fine dining napkin or table cloth with minimal texture. Sitting here looking from samples DA-lite, Elite, Draper, XD and EN4k, its great to see the evolution of AT material.
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 11:52 AM 05-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Correct and I have spoken with blee0120. I moved from Center Stage XD to the EN4K, so that i would not be able to see the weave. I ended up moving my seating even closer. I was viewing from 11' and now I view from 9'. Since my JVC has plenty of light for my 9' wide scope screen, the lower gain of the EN4K is fine and I like the image much better. Screen also looks better with the lights on. smile.gif

Too bad I have to wait until the summer to see what size screen I can get when I move. All I hear is great things about the EN4K
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 05:26 PM 05-26-2013
I just came across the Seymour page. It states that they are using a new Center Stage XD. Has anyone tried this new material or is this similar to the same material. It also states that its 4K, maybe the weave did get better
ADDUpstate's Avatar ADDUpstate 05:29 AM 05-27-2013
I have a 138"diagonal 16:9 (10' wide) en4k screen and I love it. I agree with all the comments as well.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 08:46 AM 05-28-2013
Quote:

I just came across the Seymour page. It states that they are using a new Center Stage XD. Has anyone tried this new material or is this similar to the same material. It also states that its 4K, maybe the weave did get better

Same material: http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp Note on this page, there is a picture and note the 4K symbols up by the listing of Center Stage XD.
bighvy76's Avatar bighvy76 10:24 AM 08-01-2013
So can u see the weave at 11 ft on the xd . U have a benq 1070 projector in a little 10x14 room looking at a 120" with all 3 speakers behind screen the 120" will pretty much fill the wall end to end
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 01:10 PM 08-06-2013
Quote:

NM
Chris Young's Avatar Chris Young 01:27 AM 08-08-2013
Okay I've owned my Seymour 110" 2.35:1 screen for awhile. Here is what I have learned from viewing it. As for the weave I sit 8.5 feet away for the screen now in this home. Before moving to this home I sat 11 feet away and could really focus on the weave. But I found that the at the other side of the couch the weave disappeared. I don't know how to explain it but it was there on one side and not the other. Now the material is cut at an angle which helps with moiré and works.

Now my point is that you can rotate the screen 4 different ways in order to find the weave direction that works for you.(I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be) I know this requires removing the material and turning, flipping or rotation the screen but it was worth the effort doing at the last home I was at. I actually only flipped the screen to the other side leaving the top the top and so on. Just left and right were swapped. That made the difference No more weave at 11 feet. Now at the new home at 8.5 feet away I can tell you the weave is still gone when watching a movie. (JVC RS45 with Panamorph U-480) The image is so immersive you aren't paying attention to the surroundings around you let alone the material of the screen. Like when the lights are on and your standing 2 feet from the screen saying oh wow this screen is cloth and not some smooth vinyl solid screen. That's crazy but it works great for what it's made to do. Chris and Jon know their stuff at Seymour and do recommend viewing at least 8 feet away or more from the XD screen material. I just decided to change the material around and it worked for me. It's supposed to be the same on both sides but mine didn't come to me saying what side is front or back top or bottom. But I guess I have it correct now.

Happy viewing
7channelfreak's Avatar 7channelfreak 07:48 AM 08-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post

Okay I've owned my Seymour 110" 2.35:1 screen for awhile. Here is what I have learned from viewing it. As for the weave I sit 8.5 feet away for the screen now in this home. Before moving to this home I sat 11 feet away and could really focus on the weave. But I found that the at the other side of the couch the weave disappeared. I don't know how to explain it but it was there on one side and not the other. Now the material is cut at an angle which helps with moiré and works.

Now my point is that you can rotate the screen 4 different ways in order to find the weave direction that works for you.(I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be) I know this requires removing the material and turning, flipping or rotation the screen but it was worth the effort doing at the last home I was at. I actually only flipped the screen to the other side leaving the top the top and so on. Just left and right were swapped. That made the difference No more weave at 11 feet. Now at the new home at 8.5 feet away I can tell you the weave is still gone when watching a movie. (JVC RS45 with Panamorph U-480) The image is so immersive you aren't paying attention to the surroundings around you let alone the material of the screen. Like when the lights are on and your standing 2 feet from the screen saying oh wow this screen is cloth and not some smooth vinyl solid screen. That's crazy but it works great for what it's made to do. Chris and Jon know their stuff at Seymour and do recommend viewing at least 8 feet away or more from the XD screen material. I just decided to change the material around and it worked for me. It's supposed to be the same on both sides but mine didn't come to me saying what side is front or back top or bottom. But I guess I have it correct now.

Happy viewing

I'm sorry...I'm a little confused. Is there a new XD material or weave? I would like to use the XD for the gain but I'll be at 8.5 ft in the front row.
Chris Young's Avatar Chris Young 02:15 AM 08-15-2013
Sorry for the confusion. I don't think they made a newer XD screen material. I was saying that I rotated or turned the screen material around which changed the weave direction of the screen. This helped me for my solution. I hope this clears things up.
7channelfreak's Avatar 7channelfreak 06:24 AM 08-15-2013
Gotcha. Thx.

I was hoping there was a finer weave now with the gain.
Up
Mobile  Desktop