Is Seymour the only screen company that can build manual masking panels for their screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am looking to buy a scope screen and am interested in masking. I know there are power masking systems from Carada and others, but they are several thousand dollars....nice no doubt, but pricey. I see that Seymour will build CIH panels for a few hundred bucks using a magnet system. Sure I'll have to put 'em up and take them down myself, but for a fraction of the cost, I think it's a great option for me. I'm looking at their non-AT screen (glacier white, I think it's called), but I am a bit concerned that I might need a bit higher gain screen considering my planned screen size. So....here's my question: are there other options out there for me? Do other companies offer a similarly priced manual masking system, but with a few more options for a higher gain screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticfish View Post

I am looking to buy a scope screen and am interested in masking. I know there are power masking systems from Carada and others, but they are several thousand dollars....nice no doubt, but pricey. I see that Seymour will build CIH panels for a few hundred bucks using a magnet system. Sure I'll have to put 'em up and take them down myself, but for a fraction of the cost, I think it's a great option for me. I'm looking at their non-AT screen (glacier white, I think it's called), but I am a bit concerned that I might need a bit higher gain screen considering my planned screen size. So....here's my question: are there other options out there for me? Do other companies offer a similarly priced manual masking system, but with a few more options for a higher gain screen?

There's always DIY. Mine has been in operation going on four years now and still does the job wonderfully.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1169586/my-latest-masking-trial/0_50

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #3 of 4 Old 05-17-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice Jive Turkey...looks great. Far too complicated for me though. Not very handy.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not the handiest of folks myself. Kind of a Klutz, actually. You should have seen some of the bonehead mistakes I made yesterday just trying to do some house painting!

The keys to this working for me, both for effect and finances, was knowing that I wouldn't be satisfied without masking, and paying a signmaker a few dollars to properly put the masking material on the panels. I first tried doing velvet on them with contact cement, and what a mess I made of that! Plus, it's hard to get a crisp edge with velvet. The Protostar product left a very straight edge which makes a lot of difference at the horizontal masking line on the screen.

Keep researching and find what'll work for you one way or the other. Masking makes a lot of difference in the enjoyment level, imho.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page