Designing house for 150" screen size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I wasn't sure what area to put this, but i'm designing a house now, and i really want to fit a 150" projection screen into my basement, but am getting limited with my space.

WITHOUT upgrading the size of my home (obviously trying to avoid), I have an 23'-4.75" x 13'-3.5" room.

It will be an 8' high basement and my sound system is 4 RC-70 speakers (8" width each), RC-LCR speaker (19.5" or 7.5" width depending on how i sit it), and an hsu vtf-15h sub (18" width). (a little tempted to buy a second one too).

i know with a 150" screen that it will be 10.89' (130.7") wide by 6.125' (73.5"). I guess assuming all 150" screens are the same size as the one i looked at on amazon.

I currently sit about 5' from a 73" tv, so i think i'd be fine being 12.5' from a 150" projector, but is that enough distance for the projector to be from the screen to give a good image.

Let me know or i'll redesign the house before the contractor pours the basement.

PS - help picking a screen and projector would be very useful too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52

I think you are sacrificing audio for video.  With a screen that large your speakers will have to be in the corners and the center speaker near the floor or the ceiling.  It is just poor placement for good sound.  I'd look at an acoustically transparent screen and place your speakers behind it, this will give you good picture and sound.  You will also need a projector that can light up that size screen as the bulb ages.  There might be other solutions but we need more info first.

The first place to start is what are you considering for a budget?  Is this a multipurpose room and you will be watching with some lights on or is it going to be a dedicated theater and you will always be viewing in the dark?  Do you plan on multiple rows of seating?

One thing I would consider is taller ceilings, it shouldn't be too much to add on if the foundation is not poured yet.

post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajistheman View Post

Hi. I wasn't sure what area to put this, but i'm designing a house now, and i really want to fit a 150" projection screen into my basement, but am getting limited with my space.

Not sure of your current knowledge of front projection or your budget but the bigger the screen the more light is needed. Most home theater projectors under $5000 are not going to be able to light up a 150" diagonal screen properly or for long. Even if the rated output is just enough, as the lamp ages they can loose as much as 50% of their output when new. This can happen within 500 hours so keep that all in mind. Big screens mean big bucks for the projector.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. I can put the four tower speakers in the 4 corners. If I can fit a projector in the dimensions I listed I can have it in an enclosed dedicated room. I have a wide couch now. Don't think I would have a couch behind it

I talked to the homebuilder about a 9 ft basement and they were thinking it was 5 to 8 thousand more. Which I thought was a bad quote
For the screen and projector I will definitely pay more than 5000. Maybe 7 to 10
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Speakers in corners = bad sound.  That is what I was trying to have you avoid.

post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well i have a 23-something long wall, i think i could put the far left, left, screen (with center speaker underneath), right, sub, far right speakers (with the two surrounds in the back) if that is better than the four tower speakers in the corners
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you already have the energy speakers or is that what you plan to get?  How many rows of seating?

post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I already have all speakers. I am just plan of doing one row of seats 5 seats now. Probably buy more loner seats at the end. Will I have enough room (13 feet deep) for the projector?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Liked: 13
I also would recommend the acoustically transparent screen if you can swing it. It will give you more screen area and put the audio in the right place http://www.seymourav.com/centerbestpractice.asp You could give a Chris a call at Seymour screens and talk to him about your plans and he may be able to help steer you in a screen size direction. Also are you looking at a scope 2:35.1 screen or a 16:9 screen? Have you looked at what your throw distances for possible projectors are? For example the Epson 5020 on a 150" diaganol screen has a minimum throw distance of 15.3 feet (http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/) As in for 150" diagonal image you can't have the front of the projector closer than 15.3 feet from the screen. 13 foot and change may be fine for you for a seating distance on that monster of a screen but I personally would probably experience eye fatigue and would feel as if I was sitting in the front row of a theater, especially if you go with a 16:9 screen. You will probably get loads of different advice for seating distance but you could always plug your numbers into this chart to see what you get http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html For reference my room is 25x18 with 9 foot ceilings. I am however setting up my seating lengthwise with a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen on a 14 foot wall (the other 4 foot leads to a hallway) with 2 rows of seating. I debated going bigger as my screen will be 105" wide (111.7" with frame) but I bought some SALK speakers and I am not about to hide their beautiful finish behind a screen. A bigger screen would also put the left channel into a corner. This will also help me to hopefully set my surround speakers up a little more optimally......... and save room for the shuffleboard table in the back of the room.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Lower1.png 58k .png file

This is what i have for a basement currently. I wanted to have a big rec room that was open and have a projector in it, BUT I need those two 4' wall studs for support. So I can either have it all open still with those 4 wall's or close it off and have it as a theater room. if i need to i could keep it open so the projector gets the throw distance, but i'm guessing with the speakers, maybe that's not the best option?

any ideas of how to set this up best?

oh and a 16 x 9" screen
Attached Images
File Type: png Lower1.png (57.5 KB, 19 views)
post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that I see your drawing I have a few questions.  Which wall do you want to put the screen on?  If it is on the back as looking at the picture or on the right(or left) wall in 23' 4.75" space?  When you say you might leave it open, are you planning on leaving this open to the family room?  And if so do you want to see this from the family room and is that why you are worried about the short throw because of the beam?  There will be different suggestions depending ion how you plan to lay this out.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgate View Post

I also would recommend the acoustically transparent screen if you can swing it. It will give you more screen area and put the audio in the right place http://www.seymourav.com/centerbestpractice.asp You could give a Chris a call at Seymour screens and talk to him about your plans and he may be able to help steer you in a screen size direction. Also are you looking at a scope 2:35.1 screen or a 16:9 screen? Have you looked at what your throw distances for possible projectors are? For example the Epson 5020 on a 150" diaganol screen has a minimum throw distance of 15.3 feet (http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/) As in for 150" diagonal image you can't have the front of the projector closer than 15.3 feet from the screen. 13 foot and change may be fine for you for a seating distance on that monster of a screen but I personally would probably experience eye fatigue and would feel as if I was sitting in the front row of a theater, especially if you go with a 16:9 screen. You will probably get loads of different advice for seating distance but you could always plug your numbers into this chart to see what you get http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html For reference my room is 25x18 with 9 foot ceilings. I am however setting up my seating lengthwise with a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen on a 14 foot wall (the other 4 foot leads to a hallway) with 2 rows of seating. I debated going bigger as my screen will be 105" wide (111.7" with frame) but I bought some SALK speakers and I am not about to hide their beautiful finish behind a screen. A bigger screen would also put the left channel into a corner. This will also help me to hopefully set my surround speakers up a little more optimally......... and save room for the shuffleboard table in the back of the room.

I have a 152" AT screen with an Epson 5010 at 15.5 feet throw distance. I run it on dynamic but low lamp and it is bright and punchy. I sit at 15 feet from the screen and it is great - very immersive. I like a big picture, but I think 13 feet is a little close for a 152" screen as my eyes would be moving around too much.
DrZaus likes this.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page