Question about what screen to get for my purposes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd imagine there are hundreds of people like myself who ask the same exact question I'm going to ask, but I'm not sure what else to do so here goes. I have a dedicated room with almost no ambient lighting at all (can't see hand in front of face), the floor is tan carpet, walls are lightish red, ceiling is white but none of the paint is too reflective (I can't change the paint scheme as I'm renting). I'm thinking about a 900-1300 lumen projector, maybe the JVC DLA X35, either way I'll have a relatively high-end projector, and am looking to project on a 100" or so screen. So - is it really worth spending thousands on a high quality screen, especially if I have little ambient lighting? I could live with spending $1500-2000 if it would really make that big of a difference, but would it be such a terrible thing to buy one of the many $200-300 screens off Amazon which have very good reviews? Perhaps these people are as uninformed as I am, perhaps they are raving about the low price, or perhaps it doesn't really matter so much - this is where I don't know what to do. Should I really buy an expensive screen? Would I need to vary my screen selection much if I went with a 900 lumen vs a 1300?? If so or if not, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I am (literally) in the dark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 AM

Liked: 53

Lumens are not going to be a problem for a 100" screen unless you plan on watching with a fair amount of ambient light.  Better screens do make a difference and it is noticeable.  The screen also needs to be suited to your environment.  For a given budget the question to be asked is it better to spend more on the projector and less on the screen, or vice versa?   The other thing to remember about a screen is you are less likely to change it.  Typically, you will upgrade a projector many times before you upgrade the screen.

You are going with a good projector so I'd spend a little extra and get a decent screen.  Not a high end one but something above the cheapies.  If you were going with a lesser projector I'd say go for a better projector and get a cheap screen for now.  The Stewart Cima screens,  Screen Excellence/ Seymour, Da-lite or Carada would be good choices.  If you plan on watching in the dark then get a white screen with a little gain (1.1 - 1.4) to help reduce some of the reflections from your walls and ceiling.  If plan on some ambient light use go with a gray screen material.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
BobL - That is literally the best response I have gotten to my question :P Seriously though thanks, that's what I was looking for.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmonkey38 View Post

BobL - That is literally the best response I have gotten to my question :P Seriously though thanks, that's what I was looking for.

HAHA! That's like telling an only child you're my favorite child tongue.gif

No but seriously, good info!

Maybe you can't paint the ceiling, but can you do some other treatments?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page