Screen recommendations please. I have provided the details of my room. Cost is not an issue if it's the right screen for my room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I think I've decided against the DNP 08-85 screen. I had an 80" sample for a week and I was comparing to my interim Elite Sabel 1.8 gain screen. I just didn't see much of a difference in my room between the two screens that would justify the 10X price. I think the DNP is best suited for light coming from above the screen. My problem light during the day is from the side so It didn't perform much better than the $380 Elite screen in that regard. Also, because the Elite is listed at 1.8 gain it was much brighter than the 0.8 DNP which I preferred both for sports duing the day AND movies at night. There is a bit of hot spotting on the Elite but not terrible. Go figure. I actually preferred the $380 screen over the $3800 screen. Maybe the DNP is just not the best screen for my application. One thing I still need to see is if the DNP 08-85 material throws less light back to my room that has bright colored walls and a white ceiling. Obviously the Elite screen has its flaws which is why my search for a screen continues. At this point I am looking for something in between the two price points and I'm looking for advice. Ready to buy now.

Projector - Sony HW50es
Screen Size - 110 to 115" max / 16:9
Throw - 12' max for now
Seating Distance - 11 to 13'
Viewing break down - 40% sports, 10% hdtv, 50% movies, some 3D.
Non-dedicated living room with some ambient and room lighting from the side and opposite the screen but no light from above the screen. Walls are tan, tan carpet, and white vaulted ceiling about 4' from the top of the screen. I may be open to painting my walls a bit darker color if necessary but can't black out the room.

I might take another look at BD because of my side ambient light issue but the poor wide angle viewing, color shift, and sparkles, and price has me hesitant. I close the curtains on the problem window if I have to but that gets me back to ground zero in deciding on a screen. I more worried about getting the best screen for my room than the cost but aside from the Black Diamond's side ambient like rejection, what other screen will give me the best performance overall?
I'm probably thinking gray and gain in the 1.2 to 1.4 range.

Help / advice is needed.

Thanks all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Another option is the Stewart FireHawk G3.

Added
Never mind. The throw is too short.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So I can't use a Stewart Firehawk G3 with a 12' throw? What is the limitation? I will ask this in the Stewart forum as well.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by howletus View Post

So I can't use a Stewart Firehawk G3 with a 12' throw? What is the limitation? I will ask this in the Stewart forum as well.

Minimum throw distance for FireHawk G3 is 1.6 times screen width. With a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen the minimum throw would be 12.8'.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 24
If cost is not an issue, I'd try and get a quote to expand the room and give you some more room for the projector throw.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 13
Hello,
Any of the screens you are considering will benefit from a longer throw distance. When throw is lengthened, the standard deviation of all the angles of incidence of projected light, to the screen surface, is tightened up. This helps a lot with the visibility of hot spotting in the image. Longer throws make those incident angles approach 90 degrees, so the screen is illuminated evenly. My opinion would be that you attempt to get control of the ambient light and see if you can use a screen with more matte behavior for that short throw setting. That said, you're doing the right thing. Putting stuff up and deciding in your environment. Samples only tell you a tiny slice of what's happening. You have to see the behavior of the whole surface, with a variety of content and in all of your viewing conditions. Good Luck!

Mark Robinson
Vice President of Technology
Stewart Filmscreen

post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version