Xtrem Screen Daylight cheaper alternative to the black diamond : User review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post

They should have a website soon correct?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Correct but I don't know more as you do about the meaning of "soon"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 06-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

no velvet border? What projector are you using? JVC?

You can get velvet border at an extra cost. I'm not using any projector but KRAINE did use a JVC X35 and I think the screen maker used a sony VW1000ES for the picture I posted.
post #33 of 36 Old 06-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cientos View Post

Hi,
I am very exited about this screen, since my living room is completely white. However, I have some concerns:
What do we know about the use of lens shift? I am forced to place my projector horizontally off-centered and wonder if this will affect the uniformity of brightness?
Could you try to verify this on the 12th? (I know something has been written in french about this, but I am unable to understand it..wink.gif
Thanks for your help and looking forward to hearing your opinions after the 12th!

From what I've read, the use of horizontal lens shift is not really advised because as you've suggested, it will affect the uniformity of brightness... (the question is how much? ). I didn't have the chance to ckeck it on the 12th... Sorry but I didn't have time!

So, the 12th June, I was at the house of the screen maker (Laurent) in company of Franck (his associate) and my girlfriend.
I was there a little less than 2 hours. The screen (16/9) was 2m50 wide and the projector was the sony VW1000ES (18000€): 2000 Lumens calibrated.
I was sitting at 3m.

To sum up:
We did a comparison light off, with the daylight screen and without (directly on the white wall). The gain for black and contrast was huge and the daylight made a very good work at controlling the ambient light.

The viewing angle are not so good. Horizontal half gain (60°), at this position I could see clearly that the nearest side of the screen was a lot brighter than the other side... You MUST stay in the middle. Same thing for the vertical position which should be chosen wisely, as well as the projector position and the screen in order to gain the maximal brightness out of the screen. I say this because to get the best brightness, I had to stand up instead of sitting in the couch with the Laurent settings(Half gain vertical: 35°).

I did see a fair amount of sparkles on the white parts of some film scenes. Laurent said it was the fault of the brightness of the projector and it's maybe the case.
I did the math:

Screen (at the demo) with width of 2,50m (16/9): area: 37,85 square feet

And: lumens = (fL*SqFt)/Screen Gain

The projector had 2000Lumens and the screen a gain of 1,4.
fL= Lumens*Screen Gain/ SqFt= 2000*1,4/37,85= 73,97fL in the eyes!!! redface.gif

It should be 16fL or at least between 12 and 22 to respect the projection standard... From a distance of 4,5m, I almost saw no sparkles anymore.

As we swiched to 3D while sitting closer to the screen (about to 2,50m), with glasses on (and therefore reduced perceived brightness) the sparkles were less noticeable but the 1,4 gain of the screen was greatly appreciated. With 75% loss behing the glasses, we still had 18,49fL of brightness in the eyes: nice!

At the end, we did a test with sun light from the side and the daylight did a great job at conserving a nice picture.

Conclusion: nice looking screen, good properties to preserve contrast and black in a living room with white walls, sparkling exists for bright pictures (maybe due to too much brightness) and poor viewing angle with non homegenous brightness of the screen as I went on the side. I did not however notice a hot spot.
cientos likes this.
post #34 of 36 Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Here a few pictures of what I saw (DAYLIGHT vs white walls):
http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/video-f6/ecran-daylight-xtrem-screen-test-ligne-page-t37260-1260.html

And here a picture of the living room where the DEMO had taken place:
http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/video-f6/ecran-daylight-xtrem-screen-test-ligne-page-t37260-1095.html#p654246
cientos likes this.
post #35 of 36 Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot for such detailed comments! A bit disappointing concerning viewing angles and projector positioning.. it might push me out then mad.gif
post #36 of 36 Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

One of the youtube videos of this screen refers to it as a paint, not a screen. Can anyone shed any light (see what I did there?) on this, plus the fact that many of the pics in this thread seem to be of prototypes held up with tape?

Reply Screens