Will high power work for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have been reading on the forums for a few days now and I still can not decide what screen to get. I had a custom made BOCs screen that was 132" but want to switch to a more professional screen. The room is completely blacked out with a few accent colors. The screen size will be 110" and the seating is at 12.5'. The projector (mitsubishi HC5/HC9000) is mounted 1 inch above the screen. Will high power work for me? I want a screen that has no visible screen texture and it seems like the high power has that feature. My main concern is gain drop off. I can not stand that RPTV look. The seating is as wide as the screen. I was also looking at the carada brilliant white. Any help is appreciated! cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I have been reading on the forums for a few days now and I still can not decide what screen to get. I had a custom made BOCs screen that was 132" but want to switch to a more professional screen. The room is completely blacked out with a few accent colors. The screen size will be 110" and the seating is at 12.5'. The projector (mitsubishi HC5/HC9000) is mounted 1 inch above the screen. Will high power work for me? I want a screen that has no visible screen texture and it seems like the high power has that feature. My main concern is gain drop off. I can not stand that RPTV look. The seating is as wide as the screen. I was also looking at the carada brilliant white. Any help is appreciated! cool.gif

For max gain the projector lens needs to be within 12" of you eye level shooting just over your head. As you move away from the line of the projector lens the gain drops. You will get NO gain more than the off axis utility gain which is about 1 with where you have your projector mounted.
There have been several complaints about the new 2.4 HP having dark banding marks so it could be a crap shoot as far as completely transparent surface appearance. With your setup you will not see any gain drop, you won't have any to drop. Without repositioning your projector you would not see any benefit.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

To enjoy maximum performance from the High Power you need to be able to mount your projector at a height where it is at the center of your screen. This usually means that the projector must be mounted behind your seating location and JUST above your head.

In other words, if the the center of your screen is at 5 feet from the floor vertically speaking, the center of your projector lens should be 5 feet up from the floor also.

This is because the High Power is a Retro-Reflective type of screen meaning the projected light source is reflected off the screen back directly towards the light source (the projector).

You could mount the screen and projector where the lens and screen center are not vertically aligned but your potential gain would not be maximized!

Being that your seating does not extend past the screen sides you should generally be OK with the viewing cone not dropping off too much.

As far as gain drop off at your projector mounting height of 1" above the screen and any screen texture, others will have to respond.

...Glenn smile.gif
post #4 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok is there any gain drop off from the brilliant white? What negatives are there with going with the brilliant white? As far as budget, I dont want to spend more then what a 110" carada will cost. Im just looking for a screen that will maximize my image quality in my room conditions. I feel like il never be able to decide what screen to get frown.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 112
Quote:

Ok is there any gain drop off from the brilliant white? What negatives are there with going with the brilliant white? As far as budget, I dont want to spend more then what a 110" carada will cost. Im just looking for a screen that will maximize my image quality in my room conditions. I feel like il never be able to decide what screen to get frown.gif

If you call the screen manufactures customer service department and request samples you can check them out in your environment after you get your projector (temp setup on a table) this way you will see how much texture you will be able to see from your seating location without buying a screen.. The samples are free..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

With that projector, screen size (110" diagonal 16:9) and average throw distance the HP screen will work mounted 1" above the screen. This is assuming that you have the bottom of the screen 20" to 30" AFF. You do not want or need all of the HP's gain. Though, I do not see an advantage to you for going with that screen in that setup. The Carada will provide close to the same brightness and a wider viewing angle.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There is an excel spreadsheet floating around that forum member FLBoy created. You can plug in your numbers and it will tell you your gain based on seating location, screen size, projector location, etc.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
post #9 of 14 Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 158
For the umpteenth time, gain is NOT the only Hipower advantage, and not maximizing it should not automatically eliminate it from consideration.

Even if you get no gain, it still has its advantages of uniformity, rejection of off-axis light, no texture (leaving aside defective samples), and not showing waves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

For max gain the projector lens needs to be within 12" of you eye level shooting just over your head....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

To enjoy maximum performance from the High Power you need to be able to mount your projector at a height where it is at the center of your screen. ...

Noah
post #10 of 14 Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do not want to get negative gain though, otherwise I would go with the high power. With my setup using the calculator im at about .7 gain.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that's a different story

Noah
post #12 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I do not want to get negative gain though, otherwise I would go with the high power. With my setup using the calculator im at about .7 gain.

Are you sure?
With the projector mounted only 1" above the screen, you will not be anywhere near negative gain territory on a Da-Lite HP 2.4 gain screen. Also, FL Boy's calculator is brilliant, but I am not sure of its' angle accuracy when it computes the distance you are sitting from the screen, because when I've tried this before it seems incorrect.

For instance, if I recall correctly (and perhaps I don't), but I remember it claims when I am in the same center-sitting position at 9 feet from the screen, I am getting 1.2 gain in my setup, but at 15 feet it says my eyes are receiving 1.6 gain (now I am not 100% either way, but it surely does not appear this is correct).

I suppose the perceived gain changes somewhat because as you sit farther back, the entire perimeter of the screen is within your viewing field, meaning the edges or outside the center of the screen now appear brighter as you sit farther back because there is less angle between the perimeter around the center and your eyes. However, the problem with this gain calculation theory, is that the immediate center of the screen's gain should not change much just by moving back (though towards the edges the gain changes more due to angle decreasing faster as you sit back), but I don't think that much as it states to how the eyes perceive the gain.

The reason I see the hole in this is because it's hard to say exactly how the eyes perceive this moving farther away, since when you are closer to a screen your eyes are actually receiving MORE light in the total viewing area of your pupil's peripheral vision than as opposed to sitting farther back.

However, it does make some difference on how far up you are sitting from the projector when using the Da-Lite screen (because this affects viewing angle of edge of screen even if you are in middle but sitting very close), so you do have to take that into account, but I just think his calculator might be exaggerating the difference as the eyes perceive it, but I am not sure either way as I haven't tried to break down the numbers myself. Anyhow, I didn't mean to open up a can of WORM theory, but just some food for thought (if you like eating worms that is)...

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #13 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've used the calculator recently, including changing just viewing distances, and the results appear reasonable to me.

Have you done the math yourself and found errors?

If not, saying you think it's wrong seems ill-advised.

If you have, have you alerted FLBoy?

Noah
post #14 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Different versions of his calculator gave me very different results, so he obviously had to update it multiple times to try to fix the calculation issues with the 2.4 screen. That is all I meant, not sure if this last version is perfect in all accounts.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page