Help with Screen Selection - Optoma HD20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of remodeling my media room. I am painting my walls and ceiling a dark flat maroon and blacking out the only window to make the room extremely dark. I have an Optoma HD20 projector and currently have a Gray Wolf 2 screen. The Gray Wolf 2 screen has a 1.8 gain gray screen in a pull down configuration and measures 106 inches. I accidentally put a crease in the screen a few years back and would like to replace it as part of the remodeling effort.

Some stats:
-Room Length = 14 feet 6 inches
-Room Width = 10 feet 9 inches
-Throw Distance = 13 feet 3 inches
-Center of Screen = 5 feet from floor
-Front Row of Seats = 8 feet 8 inches from screen, Eye level = 3 feet high
-Back Row of Seats = 13 feet 6 inches from screen, Eye level = 5 feet high
-Room Lighting = complete light control with no exterior lights
-Budget = I'd like to spend $300 - $400 if possible
-Projector Lumens = 1700
-Projector Contrast = 4000:1
-Screen Size = 106 inches
-Projector Usage = 60% sports, 20% movies, 20% video games

Although my current screen is ok, there is a considerable decrease in the brightness of the image when sitting on the first row, where the eye level is 2 feet below the center of the screen. I'd like to fix that if at all possible. I'd also like my next screen to be a fixed screen.

Please help me by providing a recommendation for a screen. If I failed to give you any of the necessary stats to help with your recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. I have done some research and I think I have narrowed it down to a screen from either elite or monoprice. Everyone on this board seems to think both are pretty solid.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for anyone who can help.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Im in the same boat as far as finding a screen but I have had an Elite screen and it is a shimmery POS. To me the coating on the screen made it unusable. I had the cinewhite material.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
before buying a screen it is always a good idea to call the manufacture and request a sample pack of the screen fabrics that are available on the model you are considering. Most manufactures will send you samples at no cost. Hang the samples and view them from your seating location with the projector in or close to it's final resting location. You won't be able to tell a complete screen will look like but you can see the brightness compared to old screen and each other, surface texture visibility and if the fabric has sparklies or excessive shine. Make sure you also stand up and move around while viewing as you will only have a small area to view.

Here are some HP Dalite samples with and without flash comparing White printer paper, HP 2.8, HCHP 2.4 and HP 2.4. These were taken to help someone else on the board try and figure out if he really got HCHP or if he was sent something else.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Is it bad that I think the printer paper looks the best biggrin.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I currently have a pull down Gray Wolf 2 screen and it has a 1.8 gain on it, which I think is really high for my completely dark room. It also has some sparklies which drives me nuts.

I am thinking more like a 1.0-1.3 gain would work better. I'll call and see if they can send some samples. Thanks again for the advice. It's always nice to bounce ideas off of others.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up going with the cine-white screen from elite. It came in last night. Excited to get it up and see if I got a good one or a dud (based on the reviews I have read).
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page