Help me choose between these two projector screens: SI SolarHD 4K or Carada Criterion BW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone, please help me decide between two of these screens:

Carada Critereon 160" 2.35:1 cinemascope format , claimed 1.4 gain briliant white or Screen innovations Perfomance/Reference series 160" 2:35:1 cinemascope format, SolarHD 4K model 1.3 Gain

The projector will be Sony HW50ES with (anamorphic lens - still researching) mounting distance will be between 16 to 18 feet.

Room dimensions 16.75 feet width 23 feet length,10 foot ceiling height, Black ceiling , Dark gray wall paint.

My question projector screen is this too big for this room? I want to mainly use movies and ocassional movies from Satilite tv, no gaming at all.. Will I be running on high mode for a screen this size? or should I stick to a 133" version of any screen, I will need to pick-up a Darblet for clarity or un-necessary?

Please help me decide...

All comments are appreciated in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 372
With a 160" diagonal 2.35 screen, you should be closer to the back of the room. I would use the 19' max throw of the projector. This is to help with the pincushion. I sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 PM

Liked: 10
I'm trying to decide between these two screens as well. I'd be curious what you've found out thus far or if you made a decision. I had a nice chat with Mike earlier today and I thought he said that Solar4K has more gain than the Carada BW.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going with the SolarHD 4k.. but contemplating on screen size.. SI only make 133" and 160" nothing in the middle.. and too may choice on anamorphic lens's.. Need to weight your option if you want to do 3D or not..
post #5 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 AM

Dear Zauss,
I have compared the SI Innovations, Carada BW & CCW and the DNP.
The best value for money screen is the Carada BW & CCW. Once you reference the price of the Carada with the image you are getting then when you compare them against the expensive brands then there is no increase in performance as the cost increases. Between the same manufacturers if you compare the high gain to unity screens you will notice significant distortion and contrast and color accuracy issues!
It is extremely hard to decide between Carada BW and CCW as both are equally good.
Suggest order large samples and pay if required for the samples before you decide....cheers
post #6 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

King Ajit, Namaskar, I ordered the Carada sample for BW and it look like the color of beige or butter.. what is CCW ? As Mike mentioned before the Carada measured a lower gain than they advertise and the SolarHD 4K was right on or even more @ 1.37 gain. I found the pricing to be in the same ballpark.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingajit View Post

Dear Zauss,
I have compared the SI Innovations, Carada BW & CCW and the DNP.
The best value for money screen is the Carada BW & CCW. Once you reference the price of the Carada with the image you are getting then when you compare them against the expensive brands then there is no increase in performance as the cost increases. Between the same manufacturers if you compare the high gain to unity screens you will notice significant distortion and contrast and color accuracy issues!
It is extremely hard to decide between Carada BW and CCW as both are equally good.
Suggest order large samples and pay if required for the samples before you decide....cheers

I just ordered the RS45 and will order either the Carada BW or SI Solar4K and was wondering if you can clarify what you wrote. Are you saying the extra cost for the SI Solar 4K is not worth the money over the Carada? Or are you referring to the more expensive screens beyond the SI?

I'm looking at either a 120 or 130" screen size. I prefer a bright image so the extra gain from the SI would be nice but not at the expense of quality (or price).

Also, who do you contact to get samples? I looked on Carada's webpage and didn't see anything about samples.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have a Carada BW 115" precision 2.40:1 screen and, while it is a 'good' screen, there are some differences in color accuracy between the lower cost (under a grand) screens and let's say the Studiotech 130. If I were to do it over again, i'd buy the 130 which doesn't push red and has some more gain to it. BTW, i am using a JVC RS20 with A-lens. And don't go for the elite screens: they push blue and are not considered 'reference' by any means. On the other hand, bang for the buck, the carada is still nice wink.gif

below is a comparison of a Carada BW (right) vs Elite (left) over my DIY screen I had a few years ago....hope this helps, and is slightly ON TOPIC....

AppleMark

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkim View Post

I just ordered the RS45 and will order either the Carada BW or SI Solar4K and was wondering if you can clarify what you wrote. Are you saying the extra cost for the SI Solar 4K is not worth the money over the Carada? Or are you referring to the more expensive screens beyond the SI?

I'm looking at either a 120 or 130" screen size. I prefer a bright image so the extra gain from the SI would be nice but not at the expense of quality (or price).

Also, who do you contact to get samples? I looked on Carada's webpage and didn't see anything about samples.

You have to call them and then send you the samples or you can email the your info to them.. They sent me samples. smile.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

You have to call them and then send you the samples or you can email the your info to them.. They sent me samples. smile.gif

Just pulled the plug and purchased the SI SolarHD 4k... 235:1 smile.gif , Spoke to Da-Lite for high power option and they said, the projector has to be on a table and eye level..or unless you going to mount on a stripper pole (long pole down from ceiling about 6 feet, don't even think about it..
post #11 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I like resurrecting threads on the exact topic rather than starting another. You get the backstory, other opinions, etc.

I'm comparing Carada and Screen Innovations. I can get the SI screen from a local A/V dealer, from whom I am getting a lot of other gear for my theater.

I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred more for about the same thing with the local dealer to get local support.

I'm considering:

-Carada BW criterion 110" 16:9 screen (1.4 gain but really 1.1 to 1.2 from what most say) - $901
-Screen Innovations Performance 16:9 Solar 4K 1.3 gain ($1299 + tax)
-Screen Innovations 16:9 Pure 4K 1.3 gain (haven't priced - I think this is wayyy out of my price range but I'm not sure- think it only comes with their zero edge frames)

So - what does it come down to? The EXACT same question the original poster (OP) had. Except before any arguments he said he was going with the SI screen.

Dr Zaus - Why did you pick the SI over the Carada? Was it performance, or something else? Sounds like you decided from the screen samples. What set them apart?

At this point if they were the same performance, I'd pick Carada. I won't pay $400 more to get it locally.

How about the Carada Criterion frame versus the SI Performance frame? How do they compare?

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page