Projector Newbie Here - Can I put a 120" screen in this wall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ea5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, and thanks in advance for the help. Looking to put a 120" screen here, motorized, 16:9 right below that bulkhead on the left. I'm attaching measurements.

This is going in an all-purpose room in the basement, but it will be for movie watching at night when the kids go to bed. I don't mind if the screen is a bit too close to the floor, as long as the projector can project the image properly. I have about 18 feet of distance from that wall to the opposite wall.

I'm looking at the BenQ W1070 which has a lens shift, but I cannot tell if the lens shift will be enough to avoid keystone correction when projected from the ceiling.

I appreciate any help! Thanks

Without measurements:
Can I put a 120" (diagonal, 16:9 ratio, electrical) projector screen here? See next picture for measurements

With measurements:
Can I put a 120" (diagonal, 16:9 ratio, electrical) projector screen here? See previous picture without measurements
ea5055 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Member
 
ivanhoek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, you can put a 16:9 120" screen in there. I have that screen size and my overall dimensions are about 111" by 66". I would go with a fixed frame since it doesn't seem like you'll have anything behind the screen. Fixed frame screens are simpler and more reliable.. they can also be cheaper and provide a better picture in many cases due to the absence of waves or wrinkles that can sometimes appear on motorized screens, even the tensioned ones (if not higher end).

Regards,
ivanhoek is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You can do it but it might look a bit funny. You would have to have the screens motorized frame mounted under your bulk head as a motorized 120" screen will be around 118" wide (frame case). The viewable area would be approximately 10" below the bulk head and around 14" off the floor. My screen is also close to the floor and it looks rather good to me but mine is centered. Yours would look a bit unbalanced but workable...IMHO. Who knows, maybe it'll look great!

As for the projector? I'm not that familiar with that projector, not too sure about the lens shift of the W1070. It might hang a little low if the lens shift is not great.

If you can work it out, I'd go for it. Projectors are awesome! nothing like watching a movie on a large screen.

Good luck!
Crabalocker is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Will you have room for speakers? AT (Acoustically transparent) will be needed if you are using in-walls behind the screen. AT will dive up the price and seating location is very important since you will see the weave of most fabrics if you sit closer than 12'

Here is a report on different screen fabrics, AT is after the regular but he heading looks to have been copy and pasted without changing it to say AT
http://accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

120" screen is 59" (plus boarder) x 105 (plus boarder) and the benq would need to be betweeen 10 and 13' back to get you to 120. I know the shift is not great, download the users manual and look at the install section, that should give you the data you need.
airscapes is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Little satellite speakers would work and you'd have room on the sides for them (and bottom for center). I had a cheap little polk system (RM8' system) and it filled my 25 x 27 room, and it sounded surprisingly big!
Crabalocker is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ea5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

Yes, you can put a 16:9 120" screen in there. I have that screen size and my overall dimensions are about 111" by 66". I would go with a fixed frame since it doesn't seem like you'll have anything behind the screen. Fixed frame screens are simpler and more reliable.. they can also be cheaper and provide a better picture in many cases due to the absence of waves or wrinkles that can sometimes appear on motorized screens, even the tensioned ones (if not higher end).

Regards,

That's a good idea, but how kid-friendly are fixed frames? Can they stand being touched and small objects thrown at it? smile.gif
ea5055 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ea5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

You can do it but it might look a bit funny. You would have to have the screens motorized frame mounted under your bulk head as a motorized 120" screen will be around 118" wide (frame case). The viewable area would be approximately 10" below the bulk head and around 14" off the floor. My screen is also close to the floor and it looks rather good to me but mine is centered. Yours would look a bit unbalanced but workable...IMHO. Who knows, maybe it'll look great!

As for the projector? I'm not that familiar with that projector, not too sure about the lens shift of the W1070. It might hang a little low if the lens shift is not great.

If you can work it out, I'd go for it. Projectors are awesome! nothing like watching a movie on a large screen.

Good luck!

Yeah, my wall is not ideal but I'm going to go for it anyway. Hopefully some low type seating like bean bag chairs will make it so that the screen being too close to the floor is not an issue.
ea5055 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ea5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Will you have room for speakers? AT (Acoustically transparent) will be needed if you are using in-walls behind the screen. AT will dive up the price and seating location is very important since you will see the weave of most fabrics if you sit closer than 12'

Here is a report on different screen fabrics, AT is after the regular but he heading looks to have been copy and pasted without changing it to say AT
http://accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

120" screen is 59" (plus boarder) x 105 (plus boarder) and the benq would need to be betweeen 10 and 13' back to get you to 120. I know the shift is not great, download the users manual and look at the install section, that should give you the data you need.

The speakers I will put up are the Bose (yeah, yeah I know, but I got them 'free' with miles) acoustimass 10. I downloaded the BenQ Manual and sill can't figure out exactly the lens shift range. According to projector central is about 10% of the image height up and down from the center. So on a 120" diag with 60" vertical, I figure it's 6". I might be wrong here though. I think with that, plus a the mount I should be able to clear the 10" bulkhead and the screen case. I hope so anyway... I guess last resort would be to increase the mount length and have it hang lower. Any ideas? Thanks
ea5055 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ea5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Little satellite speakers would work and you'd have room on the sides for them (and bottom for center). I had a cheap little polk system (RM8' system) and it filled my 25 x 27 room, and it sounded surprisingly big!

I got the Bose acoustimass speakers, so hopefully they'll do the trick. Just need to find some nice cheap mounts for them. Bose's are too expensive.
ea5055 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The problem with a projector that has limited lens shift and your screen placement is the projector will have to hang really low in order to line up with the screen. This will compound the problem if the projector is behind the seating; heads will get in the way of lighting the screen. Maybe find a projector that has a better lens shift??? Maybe find a good deal on any left over Epson 5010's??

Having the screen closer to the floor is not all that bad. I like not having to angle my head and look up, I look straight ahead....works well, IMO.

As much as people make fun of Bose, they still sound pretty good and that is the most important part. Yes there are better speakers out there but all the Bose systems I've heard all sounded ....good. redface.gif

Oh yea.... you'll have to paint your screen wall (+ that little side wall) a flat dark colour, that bright yellow won't help. And make sure you get a tab tensioned electric.
Crabalocker is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ea5055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

The problem with a projector that has limited lens shift and your screen placement is the projector will have to hang really low in order to line up with the screen. This will compound the problem if the projector is behind the seating; heads will get in the way of lighting the screen. Maybe find a projector that has a better lens shift??? Maybe find a good deal on any left over Epson 5010's??

Having the screen closer to the floor is not all that bad. I like not having to angle my head and look up, I look straight ahead....works well, IMO.

As much as people make fun of Bose, they still sound pretty good and that is the most important part. Yes there are better speakers out there but all the Bose systems I've heard all sounded ....good. redface.gif

Oh yea.... you'll have to paint your screen wall (+ that little side wall) a flat dark colour, that bright yellow won't help. And make sure you get a tab tensioned electric.

Thanks for the tips. I think a tab tensioned screen is out of my budget though.

You don't think I can clear the 10" bulkhead with a bit of vertical shift? Is there a calculator out there for that? Thanks
ea5055 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Crabalocker is offline  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off