AT Screen selection with Epson 5020ub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I am planning to add a projector in my current home theater which currently has a 65" plasma that has been recessed in the wall along with in-wall 5.1 speakers.

Based on many reviews, I'm planning on getting the Epson 5020ub as it seems to be the best projector in the 2k-3k range.

My setup is in a basement, therefore light is controlled but we often keep some on (very little but enough to keep it soft).

So based on this, the following are the options I am looking at:

• Wall mounted (or ceiling as I haven't decided the best approach)
  • Tension tab
  • Motorized retractable
  • Leaning toward gray for the material due to the potential light
  • Acoustically transparent material screen as my front speakers will be behind the screen
  • Weaved? Perforated?

So far, I am considering:

• Seymour RMT-2 Enlightor 4k weaved
  • Draper Targa ClearSound Weaved
  • Steward Cabaret NanoPerf

I am looking for 114" diagonal screen and will be sitting about 12' away with a throw of 17'.

Any insight on which screen I should go with? Or maybe another model I should be considering. Any thoughts on weaved vs. perforated? Although I want quality, I don't want overkill as budget is always on my mind smile.gif

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
How about a fixed frame AT screen that fits right over the recessed area where you have the TV? I only ask because with your seating distance the Seymour XD material would work fine. The only problem with the electric is: my buddy who bought my old 8500ub saw moire with the XD material (non-tilted), Seymour xd electrics aren't tilted. If you get a fixed frame they can tilt the fabric and you'll get no moire. Even if you have to go up to 130"+ to cover the hole, the 5020 can light that sized screen up. Just a thought.

My buddy bought the Enlighter 4K and said it works and looks great.....but pricey. Save the money on the screen and go for a fixed Seymour XD and use the extra money you save and upgrade to the Sony HW50???

Good luck
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM

post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

How about a fixed frame AT screen that fits right over the recessed area where you have the TV? I only ask because with your seating distance the Seymour XD material would work fine. The only problem with the electric is: my buddy who bought my old 8500ub saw moire with the XD material (non-tilted), Seymour xd electrics aren't tilted. If you get a fixed frame they can tilt the fabric and you'll get no moire. Even if you have to go up to 130"+ to cover the hole, the 5020 can light that sized screen up. Just a thought.

My buddy bought the Enlighter 4K and said it works and looks great.....but pricey. Save the money on the screen and go for a fixed Seymour XD and use the extra money you save and upgrade to the Sony HW50???

Good luck

I wish I could go with fixed but that was a compromise with my wife smile.gif so I can't push my luck.

The Sony does look very interesting and will have to get a demo.

As for the screens, having lens shift on the projector, do you still need to tilt the screen? I've read that the all of the screens I've listed have no moiré.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I know with the Enlighter 4K you get no moire but not sure of the other 2 (I have no knowledge on those screens), but I'm sure you're correct.

I'm pretty sure with a Seymour XD electric screen and the HW50, because of the pixel structure, you'll get no moire. Worth looking into. That combo might save you some cash and the HW50 is a better projector, IMHO.

The 5020 is an excellent projector as well and you got to love Epson and their handling of warranty issues.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page