Monoprice multi-format screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I know there is a thread for the monoprice screens already but I wanted to shed some light on this one. I have been looking for a screen now for a few months to replace my DIY BOC screen. I went and viewed a fire hawk G3, studiotek 130, and got samples from carada. I wasnt impressed with any of them for the money. The firehawk and studiotek had a noticeable texture on bright scenes and that was one of the main things I could not live with. Well, as a last ditch effort I ordered the 106" mnoprice multi-format screen in "HD white". All I can say about this screen is that it is unbeatable for the money. I was initially worried because I didnt want it to be the same screen material as the elite screen I had (shimmery POS). It is not. The screen material is nothing like the elite screen nor like anything I have seen before. It is basically a very white, extremely smooth, piece of vinyl or PVC with a thick black backing. The texture on the screen looks exactly like the texture on the carada brilliant white. Not to mention, the masking system works flawlessly and despite report of it being hard to put together, took me only half an hour. If you are looking to buy a screen for a blacked out theater or just want a unity gain screen, this is the one to get. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I know there is a thread for the monoprice screens already but I wanted to shed some light on this one. I have been looking for a screen now for a few months to replace my DIY BOC screen. I went and viewed a fire hawk G3, studiotek 130, and got samples from carada. I wasnt impressed with any of them for the money. The firehawk and studiotek had a noticeable texture on bright scenes and that was one of the main things I could not live with. Well, as a last ditch effort I ordered the 106" mnoprice multi-format screen in "HD white". All I can say about this screen is that it is unbeatable for the money. I was initially worried because I didnt want it to be the same screen material as the elite screen I had (shimmery POS). It is not. The screen material is nothing like the elite screen nor like anything I have seen before. It is basically a very white, extremely smooth, piece of vinyl or PVC with a thick black backing. The texture on the screen looks exactly like the texture on the carada brilliant white. Not to mention, the masking system works flawlessly and despite report of it being hard to put together, took me only half an hour. If you are looking to buy a screen for a blacked out theater or just want a unity gain screen, this is the one to get. biggrin.gif

Very cool.. any pics of the masking system in action? I looked at the screen as well, but ultimately went another direction. I'm happy with my choice, but still miss that manual masking system and wish I had that option.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any comments on the gain of the screen? It is listed at 1.0 and I was concerned about it not being "bright" enough for my JVC RS40U projector. I thought I needed a 1.3 screeen or better; but I have also heard the Monoprice multi-format screen seems brighter than its 1.0 listing. Any thoughts compared to the other screens you mentioned? Does it seem brighter than its 1.0 gain rating?
Thanks.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It does indeed appear brighter than 1.0 gain, but only slightly. The screen itself is such a bright white that it has a glowing effect when there is a light on or if you take a picture with flash. The main thing about this screen is that it virtually disappears when a picture is projected onto it. Paired with the HC5 it looks like a 106" plasma. I had no idea how drastic of a difference masking made until I used this screen. Keep in mind my room is completely blacked out so black level performance is going to be as good as it gets. Even with the JVC RS40 (slightly deeper black level than the HC5) I came from it would make a huge difference. Also forgot to mention, the screen uses springs to tension the screen and compared to other methods ive used, this is by far the best. The screen is perfectly tensioned. There are however reports that on the 120" size it does not tension as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just for a visual comparison I took pictures to show the difference between the carada screen choices. The things I noted were that the classic cinema white made everything look dull compared to the brilliant white and monoprice screen. The brilliant white does not appear to be a higher gain then the monoprice, but it does have a weird red tint to it that is noticeable in movies, mostly on skin tones.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 PM

OK. It seems the gain on the monoprice will be sufficient. A couple of other questions - is the border around the screen the same on each side (top/bottom and left/right); or is the border on the top/bottom wider due to the masking when in 16:9 format? How is the masking mechanism? Since it is a manual masking system for automated (remote); how convenient is it to use when changing between the two formats? What was the biggest change/benefit in going to a masking screen versus a 16:9 screen for 2.35:1 movies? How far from the wall is the frame when using the mounting system?
Thanks for the responses.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The top and bottom are wider then the sides by a couple inches. It is easy to use the masking system and I found you can actually stop it where ever you want by putting it where you want, then holding it for a second and letting go. So it does many more formants that just 2.35:1. I can do 1.85:1, 2.4:1, and basically anything else. The frame itself is about 2.5" deep, and the mount adds another 2" so it sits 4.5" from the wall.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 PM

Great to hear it stops at other locations other than 2.35:1 - that is a great feature as I thought it only supported the 2.35:1 format. I think the monoprice multi-format needs to be at the top of my list - thanks for the info.
Reply Screens

Tags
Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page