AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Does the whole screen have to be used? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1476386-does-whole-screen-have-used.html)

McStyvie 06-08-2013 11:59 AM

HI,

am projecting my benq w1070 on to the wall right now and like it a lot. Long term I may at some point putting it on the ceiling with a wireless Hdmi. But for now, the PJ is just placed on our coffee table, which gives us about a 90" screen on the wall. So, the question is, if I get a screen and mount it, does it matter if I get say, a 120" screen and only use 90" of it? The size is never exact as we have it on our coffee table and we actually like the coffee table setup...

Or does that just ruin the picture quality?

Thanks in advance!

McSt

ZeGhostbear 06-08-2013 12:43 PM

Perceived contrast is enhanced by a black surround which frames in the picture tightly. So filling an entire 1.33:1 screen with a 1.33:1 picture gives you the best result. That being said, assuming you watch movies, you will have a lot of 2.35:1 content which will show borders on the top and bottom on a 1.33:1 screen. That is why manufacturers offer masking systems.

You could either live with the reduced perceived contrast, create your own masking system or buy a different size screen. The trade-off is yours to make.

airscapes 06-08-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

HI,

am projecting my benq w1070 on to the wall right now and like it a lot. Long term I may at some point putting it on the ceiling with a wireless Hdmi. But for now, the PJ is just placed on our coffee table, which gives us about a 90" screen on the wall. So, the question is, if I get a screen and mount it, does it matter if I get say, a 120" screen and only use 90" of it? The size is never exact as we have it on our coffee table and we actually like the coffee table setup...

Or does that just ruin the picture quality?

Thanks in advance!

McSt

You can make a masking system out of velvet and magnets (assuming the case is steel) This is 110 HP 2.8 gain masked to about 78"
I set this up and take it down every night, take about 5 minutes up 3 down

Velvet masking of 110" HP screen

ZeGhostbear 06-08-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

You can make a masking system out of velvet and magnets (assuming the case is steel) This is 110 HP 2.8 gain masked to about 78"
I set this up and take it down every night, take about 5 minutes up 3 down

Velvet masking of 110" HP screen

Great DIY solution. Thanks for documenting and sharing.

McStyvie 06-09-2013 12:02 AM

Hey, that is cool!

Thanks for the ifnormation guys!

cheers,
McSt.