Looking for new screen suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I plan on purchasing a new screen soon. I currently have a 102in Carada brilliant white screen with an Epson 8350 projector. I have a living room setup with a 16ft throw. The projector sits about 2ft above my head on a shelf.

I'm interested in at least 120in or above. I'm considering a da lite high contrast high power to help with reflections on the ceiling and tile floor. Although I'm not sure what they cost.

My budget is right around $1000.

Other options I've considered are another carada or a monoprice screen. I understand the monoprice screen has a lower advertised screen gain than the carada. Although user reports sound like those numbers are skewed. I don't want to lose brightness by going with a lower gain screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Make sure you order samples of both the HP an HCHP, neither on is as bright as the old HP 2.8 and the few folks that around here that have bought the HCHP were not all that happy..Do some forum searches as well.

Here is a flash picture of white paper, HP 2.8 (only available used) HCHP 2.4 and HP 2.4 You would want to put the samples up with your projector and view from your seating area. Dead on axis the HCHP 2.4 and HP 2.4 look a lot alike it is just off axis that they show their difference.
Good luck!

post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I looked through the hp threads and was also concerned about the reports of black streaking. Expecially since the hp is probably the most expensive of what I've considered.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm still trying to decide on what to do. I almost went with a 120in Monoprice screen but now have concerns about my speaker placement with such a large screen. My LCR would end up well below ear level which concerns me. So I might have to stick with something around 102in but at least find something that will help with the reflections. My room lights up tremendously right now from all the light bouncing off the walls, ceiling, and tile floor.

Would a grey high gain screen be best for my situation?

I'm also considering an AT screen but I am afraid I would be disappointed with inwall speakers and an AT screen compared to my current Carada screen and Infinity P362's and PC350 speakers. Although an AT screen would allow me to go with a 120in screen.

Thanks
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page