AVS Forum banner

Paint type for use in theater room

20K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  MississippiMan 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this question.

I'm building a house and I'm close to needing to choose my paint colors. I called the paint store and they told me that I could choose whatever I wanted. I asked them if there was a specific type of paint to use in theater rooms, and they told me that people usually choose just a flat paint.

I'm not really sure, but I don't think the guy who I spoke with has any clue on what is really needed. Do I only need to pick a flat paint (regardless of color) and everything will be perfect, assuming the light in the room is completely controllable?

Thanks.

Chris

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23436158

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this question.

I'm building a house and I'm close to needing to choose my paint colors. I called the paint store and they told me that I could choose whatever I wanted. I asked them if there was a specific type of paint to use in theater rooms, and they told me that people usually choose just a flat paint.

I'm not really sure, but I don't think the guy who I spoke with has any clue on what is really needed. Do I only need to pick a flat paint (regardless of color) and everything will be perfect, assuming the light in the room is completely controllable?

Thanks.

Chris

Well, the guy has SOME clue. You do want a flat paint. Preferably a dark, neutral color like a brown or gray.. black would be ideal. You don't want anything garish like Orange, Red or Yellow, and you definitely don't want anything glossy or semi-gloss. I painted my room a flat "safari brown", and to my surprise it basically looks black. I guess it darkened the room so much that you can't tell the difference from black.

Regards,

#3 ·
My wife's the painter at our house, sews also, and she approved & completed our HT with my help i.e. I put-up the rods and built the equipment cabinet while she painted & did the drapes. It's not black, and it might even be satin finish paint (I forget) but certainly it's a dark room and we like it alot.

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/laserfan/library/Home%20Theater?sort=3&page=1

Unless you only go-in that room to immediately darken it, you do want it to look nice at other times, so Black would never work for us. And while the green/gray may not be ideal from a video viewing perspective, we sure don't notice any ill effects from it once the lights are turned low and and movies start.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23436292

Well, the guy has SOME clue. You do want a flat paint. Preferably a dark, neutral color like a brown or gray.. black would be ideal. You don't want anything garish like Orange, Red or Yellow, and you definitely don't want anything glossy or semi-gloss. I painted my room a flat "safari brown", and to my surprise it basically looks black. I guess it darkened the room so much that you can't tell the difference from black.

Regards,

Can you post a pic of the safari brown please?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23439136

Can you post a pic of the safari brown please?

Sure.. here's some pics:

This is a close image of the color:

Picture of the screen wall:

Shot of the back of the room:

Close up to see the color contrasted against black bass traps:

Sorry the picture quality stinks, but yeah used an iphone for this.

Regards,

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynewillis  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23439435

Cool theater room set up. Black is the most ideal color for theater rooms.

Thanks,

It's not actually black, but I was surprised how close to black the color turned out to be when implemented in the whole room. Might as well be black.

The color is Safari Brown.

#8 ·
Looks Awesome, Where did you get the paint from ? My misses would liek the safari brown verus my candy apple red walls..
I'm doing my ceiling & front wall Black Matte - Sherwin Williams has a black of the blackest called Caviar.. going to get a sample tonight..

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23440477

Looks Awesome, Where did you get the paint from ? My misses would liek the safari brown verus my candy apple red walls..
I'm doing my ceiling & front wall Black Matte - Sherwin Williams has a black of the blackest called Caviar.. going to get a sample tonight..

Thanks,

It's Valspar Signature from Lowe's, Matte/Flat. It's pretty dark as you can see, without being black.. Yeah, candy red walls would be an interesting choice for a theater

Some fabric on the wall could be something to look at as well, but it just seems like a gigantic pain, not to mention the potential for fibers to get all over the place. But I do hear around these forums that it beats paint in cutting down reflections.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23440586

Some fabric on the wall could be something to look at as well, but it just seems like a gigantic pain, not to mention the potential for fibers to get all over the place. But I do hear around these forums that it beats paint in cutting down reflections.
You need both: dark walls, and some "fabric" not only for decoration but for sound absorption as well. We have windows and an outside door in our HT that we have heavy drapes (and shades) on, and the two blank walls left & right have very nice decorative rugs hanging on them. Those took some serious shopping to get the designs & colors right, and then some metal rods to hang them flat. Great improvement to looks, and hopefully also limits sound reflections.

Someone needs to make some decent-looking acoustic tiles for our ceilings...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan  /t/1477643/paint-type-for-use-in-theater-room#post_23441051

You need both: dark walls, and some "fabric" not only for decoration but for sound absorption as well. We have windows and an outside door in our HT that we have heavy drapes (and shades) on, and the two blank walls left & right have very nice decorative rugs hanging on them. Those took some serious shopping to get the designs & colors right, and then some metal rods to hang them flat. Great improvement to looks, and hopefully also limits sound reflections.

Someone needs to make some decent-looking acoustic tiles for our ceilings...

Yeah, and you have to be careful with laying down too much fabric and such, because it may serve as high frequency absorbers (they are not going to contain low frequencies), and can skew a room's sound if overdone. I have some acoustic treatments, but it's something you definitely don't want to get wrong.

Fabric alone is probably fine, but putting stuffing behind the fabric is where it may get into the HF absorption issue.

Regards,

#14 ·
I am making my first theater room. I am entertaining using black and dark dark red. I can't decide what to paint red and what to paint black. I was thinking the screen wall and ceiling black other three walls red with black or grey carpet. Do I leave my trim and door white or paint them black? Do I do ceiling and top half walls red bottom half black with red carpet ? Its a small 10'x14' room

#15 ·
First off....the Screen wall is inconsequential as far as any worry about reflections from the PJ is concerned. It can be any color as long as it is pleasing to your idea of Theater decor.

However, be advised that any Fire color (Red) or Brown (...will reflect a Reddish or Yellowish cast...) are not really great choices.

Flat Black is just plain "Pug-Ugly" and represents Old-world" thinking. And despite what most every uninitiated enthusiast thinks, it DOES reflect quite a bit of light, and that being predominately "Blue". But in truth it reflects plenty of light....just not "as much as" a Matte White.

In the images as seen below, the first shows a Flat Black Painted (sprayed) Ceiling. Without much light in the room, nor any projected light illuminating the screen, yes...it looks pretty darn Black.

But....turn on the PJ, and even when appreciable ambient light is in play, the Ceiling is gonna reflect light like crazy. Even the Sconces' light Brown incandescent umbras cast a lot of light that is reflective.

Granted, the screen in use is one that does cast light equally in all directions, so the ceiling is getting washed pretty good, but that's why I chose that example.

Furthermore, a Matte / Flat Black is a dusty, cheap-looking affair. I strongly suggest you totally dismiss it from consideration. But if you simply have your mind set on such, then use a ultra Deep Black such as Disney's Mouse Ears, mixed into a Satin Interior Enamel, and absolutely have it sprayed on...not rolled.

Deep Grays, Dark Blues, Dark Blue Greens, most any "Cool Matte" Interior Enamel will do.

I personally like a Dark Blue Green Wall with a deep Dark Slate Gray ceiling.

The Color scheme should follow these dictates.

Mid-tone to Dark toned Wall Color in a Flat Enamel

Ceiling can be a Complementing "Darker" Color, or the same Color as the Walls only 3-4 shades darker

Trim should match the ceiling Color, only it should be a Satin Enamel.

Carpet should be non-reflective.

#16 ·
So will deep farm maroon throw off the color or something? I was going maroon and black because its dark And its our favorite football team color. I have heard black ceiling works great. Its a dedicated theater room. The carpet I would be replacing in dark blue already. Was only changing for red. I could keep it and do blue and grey.do u have to do flat on walls can u do satin

#17 ·
Satin works fine if sprayed. Rolled, it can have more sheen-ing characteristics than is desired, especially if the PJ Screen is in any way close in proximity.

A very Deep Flat Maroon in a Sprayed Satin is a pretty thing. And if Black is absolutely desired, the unsing what I suggested is the most workable solution.

Keep in mind, in using such paints as discussed, we / you are trying to make what could be a less desirable situation into a much better one, and that much is assured whenever one chooses Flat, deep hued paints. After one switches to that thinking, the choices outlined above are just all that more improvement on the equation. Opting to not do such, and sticking with a favorite color scheme might not, probably will not destroy the chance you will be happy, so take everything under advisement, but do not let it dictate to you. Use it all as knowledge to be considered.

#18 ·
So lost on what to do for paint colour. Screen will be white, about 17" from side walls and 8" from ceiling. Room to be used for tv/sports/movies/gaming. Thought about all Espresso Bean. Then thought maybe black screen wall, black ceiling, black side walls for like 6ft and some other darkish clour (maybe grey) for the rest. Then maybe grey for who room witht the screen end and ceiling darker than the rest. Who knows. MIssissippiman's comments on blue/green walls not sure exactly what colour that would be) with dark grey ceiling has me rethinking everything. Any suggestions wouild be grearly appreciated. Carpet is after paint and that colour is another stress point .

Thanks

#21 ·
You do not want Eggshell, and YOU can stipulate what sheen you want....it's not mandatory to follow any set stipulation.

The Base you would use would be Deep Base, and it comes in every available sheen.

As far as the Blue Green, I have used Glidden's Misty Evening and then had the Paint Tech darken it up with additional Tint...either Thallo Green or Ultra-Marine Blue, dependent upon the color I wanted to dominate. Ya know, they have Color cards, and most all have additional Colors on the Card to match up and compliment on another.

Lastly, ask for a Store Manager to let you speak to a REAL Paint Tech, not just a assigned Employee. Come back when one is available if you have to. A Good Tech can walk you through both selection and application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.