The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #271 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Horizon screen order placed

Well it's about bloody time!....LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

LOL....How long did it take you on your first Screen order???
post #273 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
BOOM. I guess V for Vendetta had it wrong. Remember remember the 6th of November....When Froh finally listened to Beast and went A-T....It is going to change your life. Get you a fine stack of around 20 titles that you will want to watch all over again. Trust me
snickers1 likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #274 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
LOL....How long did it take you on your first Screen order???

About two weeks .....lol
I've been giving Frohlich a hard time about switching to an AT screen for about 10 months now!....lol
snickers1 likes this.
post #275 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
BOOM. I guess V for Vendetta had it wrong. Remember remember the 6th of November....When Froh finally listened to Beast and went A-T....It is going to change your life. Get you a fine stack of around 20 titles that you will want to watch all over again. Trust me
You are the two from the JTR forum that harassed me the most...I finally caved in to peer pressusre
post #276 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Perfect timing however, with this new Horizons material just coming out! Call it providence... Does Rich do a zero day same as cash too? Haha

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #277 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure you fully understand the gravity of your decision.

Your decision to upgrade is going to literally cost you thousands of dollars more, $10K isn't out of the question.

Of course you already knew that though...

What size did you end up going with again? Seems like you could easily go scope and not loose any 16:9 size... Or just get a floor to ceiling 16:9 monster...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070130_zps63650ca6.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	352402  
snickers1 likes this.
post #278 of 352 Old 11-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Your decision to upgrade is going to literally cost you thousands of dollars more, $10K isn't out of the question.

What size did you end up going with again? Seems like you could easily go scope and not loose any 16:9 size... Or just get a floor to ceiling 16:9 monster...lol
And PopaDoha gets the winningest post of the day..... Maximize width or height, your choice, but make it matter.... I did, with 3 inches on either side of my 16:9 to the walls and less than that between the screen and the ceiling....Winning... You are about to do it sir

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-05 22.08.52.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	352434  
snickers1 likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #279 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
And PopaDoha gets the winningest post of the day..... Maximize width or height, your choice, but make it matter.... I did, with 3 inches on either side of my 16:9 to the walls and less than that between the screen and the ceiling....Winning... You are about to do it sir

You sums of beotches!!!! This is exactly the kind of behavior I expect from the likes of you. I go 126 16:9 (current screen is 110 16:9) and feel pretty good about it and then the AVS bullies come along and make me feel inadequate...much like my wife...my boss..pretty much everyone I know!!!!

I could easily go larger to 132 or 137 but felt like that would be overkill in my room...maybe I should call Rich today and "tweak" my order.
post #280 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
You sums of beotches!!!! This is exactly the kind of behavior I expect from the likes of you. I go 126 16:9 (current screen is 110 16:9) and feel pretty good about it and then the AVS bullies come along and make me feel inadequate...much like my wife...my boss..pretty much everyone I know!!!!

I could easily go larger to 132 or 137 but felt like that would be overkill in my room...maybe I should call Rich today and "tweak" my order.
Meh... it's whatever makes you happy man.

I think I recall Rich working on some sort of special AVS Peer Pressure pricing where he actually increases the price tremendously to combat all the internet bullying we do on here... Might need to confirm with him though.

post #281 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Meh... it's whatever makes you happy man.

I think I recall Rich working on some sort of special AVS Peer Pressure pricing where he actually increases the price tremendously to combat all the internet bullying we do on here... Might need to confirm with him though.

There was a little method to my madness.

1)I didn't go scope because I mostly watch 16:9 content (video games, ball games, TV,etc..) and realistically probably less then ten percent of my time is used actually watching blu rays. Also, my projector does not have lens memory so manually adjusting it is way too much work from a lazy "Ameriken" like me.

2) I was afraid if I blew up the image too big it would look worse and worse on non-blu ray content.

3)Moving to an AT screen is already inherently going to bring the screen 2 feet closer to the seating position (from about 14 feet to about 12 feet). So combining the increase of 16 inches in size diagonally with the 2 feet closer in distance I felt would be a nice increase in "immersion" of the screen.

Last edited by Frohlich; 11-07-2014 at 05:55 AM.
post #282 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
If you want to take a quick trip up the hill to see the screen in action I am in Asheville I will also add you to the NC/SC g2g thread that Rich posted a link to above!

The new material is the truth guys. You can be standing basically on top of the screen and not see a weave in the material. If you have any type of material projected onto it, it looks solid! Even in those high contrast bright white scenes in Art of Flight, I saw no crush, but a great amount of pop and dynamics to the color. I have seen the original material as well and this is certainly a step up. It is a little more elastic so it goes on the frame quite easily too Any of you guys considering a new screen, this is the stuff for you without a doubt. I can't get enough of it
Thanks for the invite. I love Asheville -- it's sort of an island of reason in a growing sea of insanity.

Glad to hear about the Horizon fabric. Got my samples of that and the Vision yesterday. The Horizon appears to be more "white", the Vision almost a dingy gray in comparison. I would thus think the Horizon would be brighter.

But improved contrast is the better metric and preferred goal isn't it? My JVC RS4810 projector (bought 15 months ago) is reputed to be pretty good in the contrast area. The Horizon is significantly more flexible as well (thinner?). Price for the Horizon is $200 more I see. I'm gambling it's worth it.

My theater is basically done now, except for acoustic treatments. I'll be placing my order for a 110" 2:35 Horizon screen plus masking panels in a week or two. What's the normal delivery time?
snickers1 likes this.
post #283 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

Haha, games never looked so good on a big 138 Honestly, just take into account your speaker placement. I was perfectly happy with 126 beforehand, but the vertical parts of the screen basically sat dead center where I wanted my mains, so it was either go bigger, or go smaller and have the speakers on the outside of the screen. I went bigger so I could fit everything within the constraints of the screen frame I Think you are spot on with 16:9 too with your usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Thanks for the invite. I love Asheville -- it's sort of an island of reason in a growing sea of insanity.

Glad to hear about the Horizon fabric. Got my samples of that and the Vision yesterday. The Horizon appears to be more "white", the Vision almost a dingy gray in comparison. I would thus think the Horizon would be brighter.

But improved contrast is the better metric and preferred goal isn't it? My JVC RS4810 projector (bought 15 months ago) is reputed to be pretty good in the contrast area. The Horizon is significantly more flexible as well (thinner?). Price for the Horizon is $200 more I see. I'm gambling it's worth it.

My theater is basically done now, except for acoustic treatments. I'll be placing my order for a 110" 2:35 Horizon screen plus masking panels in a week or two. What's the normal delivery time?
I am sure rich will see this and answer but he has pretty quick turnaround time, depending on what you are ordering

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #284 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Horizon is little more neutral the HD, The advantage to Horizon is even though HD has a very smooth and tight weave, Horizon is even smoother, it is total different type of fabric all together, it will give that solid screen look and feel with the added beauty of being accoustically transparent.

Lead time on most screen is two weeks but we always try to get them out sooner and in most cases we do.
looking forward to seeing pics of that 110" in your space.

Rich
post #285 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haha, games never looked so good on a big 138 Honestly, just take into account your speaker placement. I was perfectly happy with 126 beforehand, but the vertical parts of the screen basically sat dead center where I wanted my mains, so it was either go bigger, or go smaller and have the speakers on the outside of the screen. I went bigger so I could fit everything within the constraints of the screen frame I Think you are spot on with 16:9 too with your usage.
Beast, since you have the exact screen material I am switching to any thought about your projector having enough brightness for your new size screen. You have a JVC I think, and I have a Sony HW50. I didn't know if you start getting up in the 140 size , combined with a lower gain AT screen, might start causing a lack of brightness? I actually chose the 126 for very similar reasons you stated above. I played around with brining my LCR speaker on top of my subs and they actually sounded great at that width and height. So 126 is the smallest I could go and have all my speakers still layed out correctly. I could in theory go one or two sizes larger than 126 (132 or 138) in my room and the screen would still fit. The 150 size is too large as I would run out of space because I have low ceilings in my HT room (basement).
post #286 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Beast, since you have the exact screen material I am switching to any thought about your projector having enough brightness for your new size screen. You have a JVC I think, and I have a Sony HW50. I didn't know if you start getting up in the 140 size , combined with a lower gain AT screen, might start causing a lack of brightness? I actually chose the 126 for very similar reasons you stated above. I played around with brining my LCR speaker on top of my subs and they actually sounded great at that width and height. So 126 is the smallest I could go and have all my speakers still layed out correctly. I could in theory go one or two sizes larger than 126 (132 or 138) in my room and the screen would still fit. The 150 size is too large as I would run out of space because I have low ceilings in my HT room (basement).
Yep, I think you and I have about the same from wall then, or at least your alcove area. I love a very wide setup for my speakers. Honestly, I think it sounds best when I sit a little inside an equilateral triangle to them, but the couch can't live there as it is entirely too close With that said, if you found a spot where your mains sound good and present a great stereo image, then you are headed down the right path. As I said, I only went bigger b/c I preferred a wider L/R placement.

Oh and brightness? Pshh with the 4910 which is comparable in brightness to the 50 you have, if not a little dimmer, from 16 feet which is two feet further back than I could place it for minimum throw, and I get all the brightness I need....In eco mode to boot You won't have any issues for sure
Frohlich likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #287 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, I think you and I have about the same from wall then, or at least your alcove area. I love a very wide setup for my speakers. Honestly, I think it sounds best when I sit a little inside an equilateral triangle to them, but the couch can't live there as it is entirely too close With that said, if you found a spot where your mains sound good and present a great stereo image, then you are headed down the right path. As I said, I only went bigger b/c I preferred a wider L/R placement.

Oh and brightness? Pshh with the 4910 which is comparable in brightness to the 50 you have, if not a little dimmer, from 16 feet which is two feet further back than I could place it for minimum throw, and I get all the brightness I need....In eco mode to boot You won't have any issues for sure
Thank you for your help and thoughts. The portion of my basement with the HT is around 14W 18L 7H. I am not a 2 channel guy like you are, I am 99% HT. I actually thought my JTR 212s sounded better closer together on top of the subs when I was tinkering yesterday than their current position. I think it also was because the tweeter was now closer to ear level..especially the center channel which I currently have below the screen. Keep in mind, I am going from what I thought I have read in various posts, that your Danley speakers throw a very large soundstage..larger than my speakers. At the current width, it almost seems like the soundstage wasn't big enough to cover the current spacing of my speakers

Last edited by Frohlich; 11-07-2014 at 08:47 AM.
post #288 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Rich how does the new Horizon material compare acoustically to the original AT screen material that I have with it being a tighter weave? I'll be placing my order next week Rich, I'm just in the process of selling my JTR speakers right now. Once that's taken care I'll be placing my order for a new scope screen and masking panels! @brandon , how much eq work did you have to do to account for the screen?
post #289 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Yes the fiddys definitely are a huge soundstage. broad and defined at the same time though. Instrument placement can be anywhere from dead center, to 2 feet left of the left speaker, to behind me in certain cases. It is remarkable honestly. If you are having thoughts that your current soundstage isn't wide enough, perhaps a little more placement experimentation would be warranted. As you are coming from basically having them corner loaded, perhaps a happy medium?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #290 of 352 Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Rich how does the new Horizon material compare acoustically to the original AT screen material that I have with it being a tighter weave? I'll be placing my order next week Rich, I'm just in the process of selling my JTR speakers right now. Once that's taken care I'll be placing my order for a new scope screen and masking panels! @brandon , how much eq work did you have to do to account for the screen?
None. Well, I don't eq period anymore anyways, but the top end rolloff isn't one bit noticeable. I will try and measure at some point to see the difference but with the material being thinner than the standard HD, it can guess it only gets better. Here is a graph I did of no screen, XD material and firehawk microperf a few years ago. You can clearly see the benefits of woven over Microperf, and my guess is this horizon will be somewhere between the XD and No screen at all. This was with the mic right up within a few inches of the screen material.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #291 of 352 Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well 115" wide scope screen with the new Horizontal material and masking panels is bought and pair for!
Now the hard part begins, the two week wait! ....lol

Can wait to compare the new screen material to my only Falcon screen too!
Frohlich likes this.
post #292 of 352 Old 11-08-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well 115" wide scope screen with the new Horizontal material and masking panels is bought and pair for!
Now the hard part begins, the two week wait! ....lol

Can wait to compare the new screen material to my only Falcon screen too!
Nice!!!
post #293 of 352 Old 11-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Rich, I'm currently using in wall speakers with tweeter at best about 1" from the HD material, is there a specification for the min distance for the new Horizon material?

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #294 of 352 Old 11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Rich, I'm currently using in wall speakers with tweeter at best about 1" from the HD material, is there a specification for the min distance for the new Horizon material?
It is the Same

Rich
post #295 of 352 Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

I couple of screenshots of the new Horizon through a few movies I have managed to work through so far. Keep in mind these are iphone shots, but the crisp detail can even be seen a little through these. I am lovign the new material....It simply makes watching movies THAT much better from what I was used to.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-12 23.28.23.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	364417   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-11 22.32.31.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	364425   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-11 21.26.28.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	364433   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-01 15.34.18.jpg
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	364441   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-01 15.34.05.jpg
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	364449  

Frohlich likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #296 of 352 Old 11-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

And here is a comparison I did against the XD material. You can see in the first pic with no flash the difference between the weave quite clearly. The second one shows a little less of that, but the contrast between the two materials is still pretty evident.

Nice and Tight!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-05 19.21.07.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	364457   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-05 19.19.05.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	364465  

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #297 of 352 Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the pics. I am getting excited as my Horizon screen should probably be here next week.

BTW, it is sad that I can recognize most of the the blu ray movies (Godzilla and Art of Flight) from your screen shots within .5 seconds. I need to get a life
post #298 of 352 Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Haha. The gozilla shots weren't that good but on the night scene, it was great, I literally couldn't see the screen edge on any of the dark scenes on the top or bottom.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #299 of 352 Old 11-14-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Just received my tracking number from Rich
post #300 of 352 Old 11-15-2014, 08:36 PM