The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #331 of 352 Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Do you vacuum everytime before you take pictures? Nice...
Ummm...yes!!! Us city folk like to keep a nice tidy house
snickers1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 352 Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
email sent
post #333 of 352 Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Ok, snapped some pictures today of my new Falcon Horizon AT screen. Here you go

Naked:
That's some speaker array! I assume those are subs on the bottom? Better reinforce the floor!

What are the blackish panels on the wall amongst all those speakers? Some kind of acoustic treatment panels? What's the composition?
post #334 of 352 Old 12-03-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That's some speaker array! I assume those are subs on the bottom? Better reinforce the floor!

What are the blackish panels on the wall amongst all those speakers? Some kind of acoustic treatment panels? What's the composition?
Correct, there are two bass traps (one in each corner) and the two panels on each side of the center channel are acoustic absorption panels. On the right wall are mixed panels of diffusion and absorption.

Yes, those are subs on the floor holding up the speakers. They are JTR S2 subs....actually all 9 (7.2 setup) of my speakers are JTR
post #335 of 352 Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Correct, there are two bass traps (one in each corner) and the two panels on each side of the center channel are acoustic absorption panels. On the right wall are mixed panels of diffusion and absorption.
Thanks, but what I was really asking is what is the composition of those panels? How are they made and what are they made of? Reason I'm asking is I'm going to have to put something on the front wall behind my Falcon Horizon screen and I'm not sure how to do it [inexpensively]. I have no more budget to buy Linacoustic or a similar product and no more time to build frames to hold it.

My plan right now is to use some GP "Stedi-R" light fiberboard (now called "regular fiberboard sheathing") on the wall behind the screen and around the 3 in-wall Triad Bronze speakers. I'll wrap them in some of that black velvet fabric from JoAnne's. It has an R-value of 1.32 and an STC of 26. It's light and relatively soft (you can break it apart with your hands).

I have (4) 4'x9' sheets of the stuff left over from construction, enough to cover that wall, and thought that might be a good use for it (otherwise it will just get thrown away). Plus, I won't have to build frames to hold it, as I think I can wrap them in fabric and staple them in the back and the material should have enough structural stability to hold the staples in. Then I'll mount them with impaling clips and hang the screen over top of it.

I know I need something on that back wall other than hard drywall - just trying to figure out a cheap-yet-effective way to do it.
post #336 of 352 Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, but what I was really asking is what is the composition of those panels? How are they made and what are they made of? Reason I'm asking is I'm going to have to put something on the front wall behind my Falcon Horizon screen and I'm not sure how to do it [inexpensively]. I have no more budget to buy Linacoustic or a similar product and no more time to build frames to hold it.

My plan right now is to use some GP "Stedi-R" light fiberboard (now called "regular fiberboard sheathing") on the wall behind the screen and around the 3 in-wall Triad Bronze speakers. I'll wrap them in some of that black velvet fabric from JoAnne's. It has an R-value of 1.32 and an STC of 26. It's light and relatively soft (you can break it apart with your hands).

I have (4) 4'x9' sheets of the stuff left over from construction, enough to cover that wall, and thought that might be a good use for it (otherwise it will just get thrown away). Plus, I won't have to build frames to hold it, as I think I can wrap them in fabric and staple them in the back and the material should have enough structural stability to hold the staples in. Then I'll mount them with impaling clips and hang the screen over top of it.

I know I need something on that back wall other than hard drywall - just trying to figure out a cheap-yet-effective way to do it.

Sorry about that, I misunderstood your question. Unfortunately I do not know the composition as I bought all four pieces from Acoustimac.com. When I looked at their web site real quick all I saw was "owens corning material".
post #337 of 352 Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry about that, I misunderstood your question. Unfortunately I do not know the composition as I bought all four pieces from Acoustimac.com. When I looked at their web site real quick all I saw was "owens corning material".
Thanks. It's probably a Linacoustic-type duct liner material wrapped in fabric.
post #338 of 352 Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:

You can go floor to ceiling on your front wall with any material that is similar to linacoustic for pretty cheap. With LA being the more expensive version, I looked elsewhere and found several other options I could source from Asheville for about half the cost of what LA would have been. I used an erskine design where I layed a single layer of 1" down, with 4 mil plastic sheeting on top, then a second layer of 1" thick material on top of that, basically like a sandwich.

I am not familiar with the velvet you referenced, but a better option is the jo-ann speaker cloth as it will allow anything behind it's absorption coefficient to not change at all. I screwed the entire setup right into the studs on the front wall and the difference in the time domain was drastic, and it looks relatively uniform to boot

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #339 of 352 Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey guys,

Received my screen today, delivered by FedEx Freight. Let me say this, Rich ensures there is no possibility of damage AT ALL

Still waiting on the new projector, so I can't give picture impressions but so far this screen gets an A+ for EVERY category. Construction, quality, directions, easy assembly. Cannot wait to get my projector and start watching movies again with this new setup!

I love your minimalist setup for your speakers that are behind your screen. I want to do something similar in my room. Do you have a build thread on your minimalist setup? Also how do you mount the screen? Thanks again for your help.

Percy
post #340 of 352 Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Getting ready to place my order, and am leaning toward the HD - besides the tighter weave, is there anything else different between the HD and the Horizon material? Is one brighter than the other? Also, with the HD, how far away is the weave noticeable?

My last screen was a Seymour XD, so I'd be curious to hear how the HD compares.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #341 of 352 Old 12-20-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Getting ready to place my order, and am leaning toward the HD - besides the tighter weave, is there anything else different between the HD and the Horizon material? Is one brighter than the other? Also, with the HD, how far away is the weave noticeable?

My last screen was a Seymour XD, so I'd be curious to hear how the HD compares.

With the HD material I could see the weave from 6ft away, with Horizontal you need to be a foot away and even then its more me noticing the pixel structure of the projector then the screen material.
post #342 of 352 Old 12-21-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
With the HD material I could see the weave from 6ft away, with Horizontal you need to be a foot away and even then its more me noticing the pixel structure of the projector then the screen material.

So is it just pixel structure? Are the frames continuous, or split into two for the longer members? How do the masks attach - magnets? If I order a screen now, will the CIW (horizontal) masks attach properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #343 of 352 Old 12-21-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
So is it just pixel structure? Are the frames continuous, or split into two for the longer members? How do the masks attach - magnets? If I order a screen now, will the CIW (horizontal) masks attach properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's just the pixel structure from my projector. The Horizon material looks like a sold screen, I have to saw its pretty awesome and I'm so glad I upgraded to a scope screen and went with the new material. I think Rich has a real winner with the new screen material.

I've been meaning to write a mini review and take a bunch of photos to compare the two screens.

The frame itself is four separate frame rails and you just use these really slick locking brackets to assemble the frame. It's really easy to do. And the masking panels are basically magnetic like you thought.
post #344 of 352 Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

So I got a nice little Christmas present from Rich to go with my new screen!
The new badge looks really sharp!

Once again Rich thanks for everything and keep up the great work with making kicka$$ screens, I'm so glad I went with Falcon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	436186  
snickers1 and MiniHT like this.
post #345 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^^ That looks really cool man! I would love to hear more of your impressions on the new material, as well as the "old" screen material. I'm actually about ready to order a screen, and settled on Falcon a while ago. The last thing I want to do is regret saving a few bucks and get that "what if" feeling if I go with the original material. The difference in cost between the two seems like a no brainer.. but hey, if I can save a few bucks.. I'm all for it. How do most of you guys order your Falcon screen? Do you order directly from Rich or did you go through AVS? I just purchased by PJ from Mike at AVS and it couldn't have gone any smoother.

As for my situation.. if it helps.. The room is extremely small at ~840 cubes. I will be width limited at ~8.5ft so I think going with a 16x9 screen is the way to go. At about a 10'-10.5' throw I should be able to get about a 85-90"w screen. I have a makeshift screen up right now trying to figure my max screen width. Room will be completely light controlled, and will be completely covered in Joann's velvet. I'm planning on doing DIY masking panels as well, to really get the most out of my new JVC 4910. I'll measure with REW before determining the exact LP, but the viewing distance will end up between 8-9.5ft. Any thoughts? Do you think I'll be able to pick up the weave in either of these screens from this distance? Just trying to gather as much info as I can before I take the leap... as this is my very first PJ setup. It'll be nice to finally have a big picture to match the big sound of my JTR's. I'm sure you can relate, J. Beautiful setup BTW.
post #346 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mini,

You will want to go for the 4910 and Horizon combo at that seating distance I think. I did the same combo at 11 feet and couldn't be happier Give that 4910 a shot at no masking panels. If you watch in total darkness then ok, but even if there is just a little ambient light in the room, you likely won't even see the need for masking panels.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #347 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Mini,

You will want to go for the 4910 and Horizon combo at that seating distance I think. I did the same combo at 11 feet and couldn't be happier Give that 4910 a shot at no masking panels. If you watch in total darkness then ok, but even if there is just a little ambient light in the room, you likely won't even see the need for masking panels.
Thanks for the quick reply Beast! I'll definitely give it a shot w/o the masking panels at first. Do most AT screen users paint/apply velvet behind the screen as well? I thought about getting some speaker cloth and just putting it on the backside of the screen but am a bit worried if it'll effect the upper end of my FR. I know I could just EQ it out.. but I don't like MCACC all that much and currently don't use it. Then again, I can't hear much above 15khz anyways... so I guess that wouldn't really matter? Do you mind if I ask where you got your screen from? Rich? AVS?

Thanks again for the input!
post #348 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHT View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Beast! I'll definitely give it a shot w/o the masking panels at first. Do most AT screen users paint/apply velvet behind the screen as well? I thought about getting some speaker cloth and just putting it on the backside of the screen but am a bit worried if it'll effect the upper end of my FR. I know I could just EQ it out.. but I don't like MCACC all that much and currently don't use it. Then again, I can't hear much above 15khz anyways... so I guess that wouldn't really matter? Do you mind if I ask where you got your screen from? Rich? AVS?

Thanks again for the input!
I got my screen straight from Rich, as he was just getting the new material in, and hadn't even built a screen out with it yet. I didn't apply anything else behind the material, and can't see any bleedthrough so I think you should also be OK there. I do however have speaker cloth floor to ceiling on the rear wall and side walls up to the screen edge covering some acoustic treatment.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #349 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I got my screen straight from Rich, as he was just getting the new material in, and hadn't even built a screen out with it yet. I didn't apply anything else behind the material, and can't see any bleedthrough so I think you should also be OK there. I do however have speaker cloth floor to ceiling on the rear wall and side walls up to the screen edge covering some acoustic treatment.

Thanks for all the info, Beast. It is much appreciated!
post #350 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHT View Post
the viewing distance will end up between 8-9.5ft. Any thoughts? Do you think I'll be able to pick up the weave in either of these screens from this distance?
I would also recommend the new Horizon material as well. I currently use the original Vision HD material and sit about 9ft eyes to screen on a 100" wide 2.35:1 lit up by a RS4910. On low lamp after 400 hours I am still getting about 16ftL brightness with iris at -8 and calibrated to D65, for the 16:9 image anyways.

At this distance I find the gap between threads on the Vision HD material is slightly visible by dirtying (dark dots) the image a bit in bright uniformly lit scenes. I've tried the new Horizon sample and it is a lot better and virtually texture free -- for your setup of 85-90" wide 16:9 I think the RS4910 should be able to light it up no problem.

I'm likely switching to the new material as well, but am still on the fence on whether I should up my screen size in height to a 2.05:1 screen to increase my 16:9 content size when watching blockbuster movies but otherwise to mask it off to the current 16:9 size (about 88" diagonal) for casual content. Other consideration is the Vision HD material is pretty robust to handle my infant & preschooler, the Horizon is a bit more just like a fabric where I might be more concerned about damage or dirty fingers.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #351 of 352 Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I would also recommend the new Horizon material as well. I currently use the original Vision HD material and sit about 9ft eyes to screen on a 100" wide 2.35:1 lit up by a RS4910. On low lamp after 400 hours I am still getting about 16ftL brightness with iris at -8 and calibrated to D65, for the 16:9 image anyways.

At this distance I find the gap between threads on the Vision HD material is slightly visible by dirtying (dark dots) the image a bit in bright uniformly lit scenes. I've tried the new Horizon sample and it is a lot better and virtually texture free -- for your setup of 85-90" wide 16:9 I think the RS4910 should be able to light it up no problem.

I'm likely switching to the new material as well, but am still on the fence on whether I should up my screen size in height to a 2.05:1 screen to increase my 16:9 content size when watching blockbuster movies but otherwise to mask it off to the current 16:9 size (about 88" diagonal) for casual content. Other consideration is the Vision HD material is pretty robust to handle my infant & preschooler, the Horizon is a bit more just like a fabric where I might be more concerned about damage or dirty fingers.
No need to worry about the dirty fingers, you can simply toss the fabric in the washing machine on delicate

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #352 of 352 Old Today, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

Thanks for all the info JJ, I appreciate it.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page