The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I was able to get the screen wall done in my room last week.

My 120" Horizon 2:35 screen is the real deal. I was going through a variety of demo material and it handled it all perfectly. The calibration by ChadB is making it shine.

VERY VERY glad I made the plunge into the world of AT screens.

A game changer for sure.
Hey Coach, or anyone else out there that has a 120" wide Falcon screen: how wide are your hangman brackets? I'm putting together my BIG style minimalist wall and realized that I should probably get that number first!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
Well, it's finally here. The last piece to my HT puzzle. My 120" 'scope Falcon Horizon screen is coming tomorrow! FedEx will be delivering the 40lb. box sometime within a nice, tight 7 hour window.

I will be affixing 2" convoluted packing foam to the wall behind the screen to hopefully take care of any reflected sound bouncing back off the screen from my 3 Triad Bronze 4" in-wall loudspeakers. So I assume I'm going to have to block 2" out from the wall to attach the hanging brackets so the screen will clear the foam. Guess I need to find a couple of studs in the painted drywall to screw in the blocking, as I assume the screen is too heavy to use plastic expansion anchors for the brackets at the logical 1/3 or 1/4 spacing points in the frame.

One thing I've been wondering... does everyone just hang the screen like a picture from those brackets, letting the bottom just "float"? I would think any stray air currents, from people moving around to convection air currents from the HVAC ducts might cause the bottom of the screen to possibly wave in and out, maybe enough to be perceived. How do people handle that? Are there brackets for the bottom and/or sides as well?
Old 09-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I used the black felt wrapped 2x4s that came in the packaging with the screen. See images in my build thread.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks JS! It was hard to see the brackets or blocking from those pics though.

So you attached the Linacoustic with 4" drywall screws and fender washers? My plan is to wrap .5" fiberboard sheathing (it's relatively soft so I figure it must have some acoustic properties - has an STP of 26) with black fabric stapled to the back and then just screw it into the drywall with short, black wide-thread drywall screws. It's not soft enough for impaling clips. I'll have to cut it into 4 pieces that will butt up against the side walls and the convoluted foam behind the screen. So, essentially, the screen will have the charcoal gray foam behind it and the fabric-wrapped fiberboard will surround the screen and cover the rest of the front wall. It's not a perfect solution from an acoustic standpoint, but I think it will be fine. And it was cheap!

I've got (21) 2" deep pine frames, 16" x 24" or 48" long, that I'll stuff with rockwool insulation and wrap with fabric. Those will be the panels on the side walls to take care of first reflections and generally deaden the room a bit.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well, it's finally here. The last piece to my HT puzzle. My 120" 'scope Falcon Horizon screen is coming tomorrow! FedEx will be delivering the 40lb. box sometime within a nice, tight 7 hour window.

One thing I've been wondering... does everyone just hang the screen like a picture from those brackets, letting the bottom just "float"? I would think any stray air currents, from people moving around to convection air currents from the HVAC ducts might cause the bottom of the screen to possibly wave in and out, maybe enough to be perceived. How do people handle that? Are there brackets for the bottom and/or sides as well?
It's own weight keeps mine from moving - no need to fix the bottom or sides of the frame. You will see once you get yours hung

Epson 5020UB - Falcon Screens AT 131"
Onkyo TX NR818 - Emotiva XPA-5 - Panamax M5300
Polk 265LS/255cLS L/C/R - 80F/X-LS & LSiM703 surrounds - Dual SVS PB2000 subs
OPPO BDP-103 - HTPC with MediaBrowser3
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-re-model.html
Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Okay, screen arrived today! First thing I noticed is there were no black-velvet-wrapped 2x4's as JS, as well as the installation instructions, said. The frames were loose inside the single, long box, albeit wrapped up in bubble wrap. The fabric was not in a separate box, either, just wrapped up in a roll with thin foam in between layers. Guess Rich has "modified" his packing methods.

I notice on the instructions' second sheet there is a picture of a guy (Rich?) mounting the hangman brackets underneath and inside what looks to be some kind of wood blocking frame. Be nice to know what that is, why it's there, and should I do it as well?

As stated above, I will need to block out the hangman brackets a couple of inches to allow for the convoluted foam behind the screen. Probably screw a piece of .5" plywood to a section of 2x4. Sure would have been nice to have had those already-velvet-wrapped shipping pieces to use that were previously included in the packaging. I don't happen to have any velvet lying around.

You know what would be nice -- a YouTube video of the installation process. Almost everything needing to be assembled has one these days. Be easy enough to make and it would eliminate a lot of questions, I'm guessing.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread

Quote:
Okay, screen arrived today! First thing I noticed is there were no black-velvet-wrapped 2x4's as JS, as well as the installation instructions, said. The frames were loose inside the single, long box, albeit wrapped up in bubble wrap. The fabric was not in a separate box, either, just wrapped up in a roll with thin foam in between layers. Guess Rich has "modified" his packing methods.

I notice on the instructions' second sheet there is a picture of a guy (Rich?) mounting the hangman brackets underneath and inside what looks to be some kind of wood blocking frame. Be nice to know what that is, why it's there, and should I do it as well?

As stated above, I will need to block out the hangman brackets a couple of inches to allow for the convoluted foam behind the screen. Probably screw a piece of .5" plywood to a section of 2x4. Sure would have been nice to have had those already-velvet-wrapped shipping pieces to use that were previously included in the packaging. I don't happen to have any velvet lying around.

You know what would be nice -- a YouTube video of the installation process. Almost everything needing to be assembled has one these days. Be easy enough to make and it would eliminate a lot of questions, I'm guessing.

The screen is simple to put together as the directions are stated. First lay the 4 screen frames out. Attach 2 brackets that are the an L shape to each of the corners but don't over tighten them or else they will break. One will hold the screen together but Rich went Beyond that and included 2 for each corner of the frame. Once there all installed very carefully tighten each up nice and snug. Now the frame is together next lay down the plastic sheet and get your screen out and install all the rubber o rings through the holes of the screen to the screws that you will see on the back of the screen frame. Once every o ring is installed per the directions and the screen is a little tight to one side loosen up the bolts so that each o ring is centered with the screw. Then tighten them back up. Rich puts this all together before he ships them out via a phone call I had with him about my Falcon screen so the everything should be perfect once you get it together. The brackets are easy to install for hanging it to. I used drywall screws with a 6 foot level to make sure the 2 hanging brackets (not sure the right name for them) are level. Last lift up the screen with a buddy or your wife and hang it right on the bracket. Done.
Pop in a movie it's show time!!!!
Enjoy your new screen I have the exact screen you have and love it!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

eng, thanks, but I understand the process in theory. Still would have been nice to have a little video to look at. As I said above, nearly everything that requires assembly these days has one. It would simply act as a supplement to the written instructions. Rich can make one if he wants, or not. Just a suggestion. Some folks might find it helpful.

And again, my case is a little different and I have specific questions. One is about the wooden frame that appears in the photographs. Is that necessary? Might be, based on my earlier question about the screen moving if it's just floating there 2" off the wall as it will be in my case (Because: foam behind the screen. See above).

I can see now that I've examined the frame that a wooden frame behind it would give the bottom and sides of the screen something to rest against. And it sure would have been nice to have had those velvet wrapped 2x4's that others have mentioned (including in the written instructions), as I'll need to block the hangman brackets off the wall. Looks like I'll have to cut my own and paint them black.

Whatever. I'll figure it out.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
eng, thanks, but I understand the process in theory. Still would have been nice to have a little video to look at. As I said above, nearly everything that requires assembly these days has one. It would simply act as a supplement to the written instructions. Rich can make one if he wants, or not. Just a suggestion. Some folks might find it helpful.

And again, my case is a little different and I have specific questions. One is about the wooden frame that appears in the photographs. Is that necessary? Might be, based on my earlier question about the screen moving if it's just floating there 2" off the wall as it will be in my case (Because: foam behind the screen. See above).

I can see now that I've examined the frame that a wooden frame behind it would give the bottom and sides of the screen something to rest against. And it sure would have been nice to have had those velvet wrapped 2x4's that others have mentioned (including in the written instructions), as I'll need to block the hangman brackets off the wall. Looks like I'll have to cut my own and paint them black.

during last website update this video was removed

JSKMDWK likes this.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey thanks! That video was actually very helpful in terms of showing how much torque to apply to the corner bracket screws. Also that the tool will probably get stuck a few times.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I did to make the screen level is painted a 4/4 black and put it behind the screen on the ground it has a lot of weight to it. I also cut a 2/4 and screwed it to that bracing the screen to my sub box. Now the screen is level and I didn't have to drill anything into the carpeted floor. I'm also building frames that I'm in the middle of wrapping with AT fabric. Thought I would through this idea out to Ya.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Okay, so I've assembled the frame. Went together pretty easily. Hung it on the wall on a piece of 5/4" wood blocking to see how it looks before attaching the Horizon fabric. So the top is 1" away from the wall. But there is a problem. It's perfectly balanced on the hangman's brackets, which are perfectly level. But the frame is warped, even though the individual aluminum extrusions are dead straight. The lower right corner is warped backward from the lower left corner by about an inch. To describe it a different way, the left side hangs straight down, it's distance from the wall is the same on the top as the bottom. But the right side angles back into the wall, touching it at the bottom, meaning the right frame member is slanting in 1" from top to bottom.

It was perfectly flat on the floor as I put the corner brackets in and tightened them up. But I really don't know what's causing this warping now that it's hanging or how to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi guys,
I'm currently using Seymour XD. I have a 2.35 145" screen. I sit precisely 12 feet away from screen. Using Sony VPL600ES with high lamp. The issue is that I can see the weave when its a bright scene (like bright white light scene). So now thinking of switching to Falcon.
Besides the weave issue, its a .8 gain. Falcon states 1.1 for Vision HD and 1.0 for Horizon. Has anyone tested if the gain is actually 1.1 for Falcon Vision and 1.0 for Horizon?
Also, they both have a 4K label next to it. Why one would consider Horizon over Vision?

I'm excited to see that there are more options available now.
Thx a bunch.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:46 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Hi guys,
I'm currently using Seymour XD. I have a 2.35 145" screen. I sit precisely 12 feet away from screen. Using Sony VPL600ES with high lamp. The issue is that I can see the weave when its a bright scene (like bright white light scene). So now thinking of switching to Falcon.
Besides the weave issue, its a .8 gain. Falcon states 1.1 for Vision HD and 1.0 for Horizon. Has anyone tested if the gain is actually 1.1 for Falcon Vision and 1.0 for Horizon?
Also, they both have a 4K label next to it. Why one would consider Horizon over Vision?

I'm excited to see that there are more options available now.
Thx a bunch.
I haven't tested gain, but I will say this, if I want to see the weave on the Horizon material, with the sony 350es, I darn near have to walk all the way up to the screen to see it. I have enjoyed my horizon thoroughly so far.
mikela and MiniHT like this.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I haven't tested gain, but I will say this, if I want to see the weave on the Horizon material, with the sony 350es, I darn near have to walk all the way up to the screen to see it. I have enjoyed my horizon thoroughly so far.
This is awesome. How do you find it in terms of Brightness as compared to Seymour XD? Seymour is a .8 gain and Horizon is 1 (or almost 1). So should be 20% brighter.

Waiting for Rich to reach out to me. I think I'm all set to go with Horizon. If all goes well, I"ll post the pics as well.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:
This is awesome. How do you find it in terms of Brightness as compared to Seymour XD? Seymour is a .8 gain and Horizon is 1 (or almost 1). So should be 20% brighter.

Waiting for Rich to reach out to me. I think I'm all set to go with Horizon. If all goes well, I"ll post the pics as well.
I've gone through enough PJ's recently that brightness is confusing to me, but putting the xd sample up next to the horizon, the horizon is a more "Pure" white than the XD. Brightness should not be an issue for you at all.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I've gone through enough PJ's recently that brightness is confusing to me, but putting the xd sample up next to the horizon, the horizon is a more "Pure" white than the XD. Brightness should not be an issue for you at all.
So it turned out that horizon material is not available without frame. I'm going for 140 inches. Price difference between vision hd and horizon is only 200.00 for 140 2.35 screen. If I didn't have the frame then it's a no bringer to select horizon. But since I have the frame, it become more questionable to choose. The difference between vision hd material only vs horizon with frame would be around 1000.00. Is it worth it to spend this much more to go for horizon? I still don't know what the major difference between the two? They both support 4k resolution. They both are AT material. Neither of them have weave visibility issue.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I still don't know what the major difference between the two?
I suggest you order samples of the materials and judge for yourself. I have had the Falcon Vision in a previous theater and was very happy with it. It is a more plastic coated material than the Horizon which is more like fabric/cloth material. The weave on the Horizon is very hard to notice until you are close to the screen.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post
I suggest you order samples of the materials and judge for yourself. I have had the Falcon Vision in a previous theater and was very happy with it. It is a more plastic coated material than the Horizon which is more like fabric/cloth material. The weave on the Horizon is very hard to notice until you are close to the screen.
Thx for the response. Samples are too small for me to judge. So in terms of display quality, you find them same? If I can't see the weave from the distance I'm watching movie (12 feet) then I'm fine with either. I assume you had no issue with weave with vision hd? What made you switch to horizon then?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
Quote:
Thx for the response. Samples are too small for me to judge. So in terms of display quality, you find them same? If I can't see the weave from the distance I'm watching movie (12 feet) then I'm fine with either. I assume you had no issue with weave with vision hd? What made you switch to horizon then?

Ask Rich for a 2'x2' sample of each. Might cost you a few bucks but it's worth it.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any word on official masking panels for 16:9 screens? I sent a message through the Falcon website but never got a reply.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
So in terms of display quality, you find them same? If I can't see the weave from the distance I'm watching movie (12 feet) then I'm fine with either. I assume you had no issue with weave with vision hd? What made you switch to horizon then?
I have not yet ordered my Horizon screen yet, only looked at samples. The weave on the Falcon HD gets noticeable when you get 6-9 feet from the screen, with the Horizon you can get much closer (seating distance) and not notice the weave. This is why I plan to make the switch for our new theater.
jjcook likes this.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanymton123 View Post
Any word on official masking panels for 16:9 screens? I sent a message through the Falcon website but never got a reply.
I asked Rich this question yesterday and the answer was no.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSyme View Post
I asked Rich this question yesterday and the answer was no.
Any reason why this wouldn't be available like it is for the scope screens to convert to a 16:9 image? I'm very interested in the 137" Horizon in 16:9 and the panels would be a nice option/addition to consider.

Perhaps it has something to do with the logistics of shipping a 10' panel?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
Any reason why this wouldn't be available like it is for the scope screens to convert to a 16:9 image? I'm very interested in the 137" Horizon in 16:9 and the panels would be a nice option/addition to consider.

Perhaps it has something to do with the logistics of shipping a 10' panel?
His website says "Coming Soon!!! Horizontal masking panels for 16:9 format screens" so maybe he will update us when available or with any news.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
I'm very interested in the 137" Horizon in 16:9 and the panels would be a nice option/addition to consider.
I would suggest getting the screen and deciding if you really want/need the panels. I used a Falcon Vision 120 and had the side masking panels to convert to 16x9. They ended up living in a closet because I just didn't use them that much. They looked cool before the movie, but once the lights went down (light controlled theater) it didn't make a difference. I also switched back and forth from 16x9 to 2.35:1 so often it was a chore to put them up and down.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post
I would suggest getting the screen and deciding if you really want/need the panels. I used a Falcon Vision 120 and had the side masking panels to convert to 16x9. They ended up living in a closet because I just didn't use them that much. They looked cool before the movie, but once the lights went down (light controlled theater) it didn't make a difference. I also switched back and forth from 16x9 to 2.35:1 so often it was a chore to put them up and down.
Oh ok, I appreciate the info.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 122
congrats to Rob Johnston for being Home Theater of the Month
Great build and a great looking Theater featuring a 130" Falcon Screen with our new Horizon Material.

http://www.avsforum.com/ht-of-the-mo...ortex-theater/

Old 11-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Question related to the distance of speaker behind Horizon Screen: What's the optimum distance a speaker should be placed behind Horizon Screen?
Also, I have around 2 feet of space behind screen. If I find that my speakers are best around 2 feet away from screen, would it be ok? I"m trying to understand if it matters how far/close the speaker should be behind Horizon and what impact I'd get if I go beyond the range?
Thx

Last edited by SherazNJ; 11-22-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement