The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #481 of 502 Old 11-22-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Question related to the distance of speaker behind Horizon Screen: What's the optimum distance a speaker should be placed behind Horizon Screen?
Also, I have around 2 feet of space behind screen. If I find that my speakers are best around 2 feet away from screen, would it be ok? I"m trying to understand if it matters how far/close the speaker should be behind Horizon and what impact I'd get if I go beyond the range?
Thx
Two feet is more than enough. I had my Sonance in-wall speakers about 4 inches behind the Falcon Vision HD screen (original AT material) and had no problem.
Stewart recommends 18" with a microperf screen, so no more than that should be needed.
The Horizon material can be thought of almost like a speaker grill, woven cloth material, so as long as you are not right up on it, shouldn't be a problem. The primary concern is comb filtering for high frequency drivers, so it could depend on what kind of speaker you are using, horn vs. dome tweeter, but probably won't be an issue.
I'd suggest getting a large sample and trying it out.

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? -- My theater in print -- My build- Mocha Theater Construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 502 Old 11-22-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post
Two feet is more than enough. I had my Sonance in-wall speakers about 4 inches behind the Falcon Vision HD screen (original AT material) and had no problem.
Stewart recommends 18" with a microperf screen, so no more than that should be needed.
The Horizon material can be thought of almost like a speaker grill, woven cloth material, so as long as you are not right up on it, shouldn't be a problem. The primary concern is comb filtering for high frequency drivers, so it could depend on what kind of speaker you are using, horn vs. dome tweeter, but probably won't be an issue.
I'd suggest getting a large sample and trying it out.
Thx for your response. No need to order the sample. I have Horizon screen already :-). Its been placed as well. Currently my LCR is 5 1/2 inches behind screen. But at that point, I"m getting bad results for mid range after calibration and therefore thinking about moving the speakers to get a better response. Here is my center and right speakers response. as you can see that right after 220Hx, it just falls down about 10db with 80Hz (220-300). Plus all the frequencies from 300Hz and below and lower than I expected it. That may be the room correction doing it for the most part. I'll figure that part out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	centerwithsub.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1073650   Click image for larger version

Name:	rightwith sub.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1073658  
post #483 of 502 Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I ordered a new 130" Wide 235:1 Falcon Vision HD for my new theater. The new screen will be paired with a new JVC RS600. This should be a nice upgrade to my 100" 1:85:1 Stewart StudioTek 130 (1st generation).

MiniHT likes this.
post #484 of 502 Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 44
^^ Awesome! I'm sure you'll love the combo. I have my Horizon screen paired with an RS4910 in a bat cave. The image is absolutely amazing! Good luck with the build...
post #485 of 502 Old 12-06-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHT View Post
^^ Awesome! I'm sure you'll love the combo. I have my Horizon screen paired with an RS4910 in a bat cave. The image is absolutely amazing! Good luck with the build...
Thank you MiniHT!
post #486 of 502 Old 12-15-2015, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I ordered a new 130" Wide 235:1 Falcon Vision HD for my new theater. The new screen will be paired with a new JVC RS600. This should be a nice upgrade to my 100" 1:85:1 Stewart StudioTek 130 (1st generation).
I am also picking up an RS600 and have a 235:1 130" wide Horizon. Anyone know what screen setting should be used with the JVC Autocalibration software?
post #487 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well got the screen built.

Screen installation is super easy from Falcon Screens. Rich told me an idiot could get it together in 20 mins so naturally I spent about 30 at it. He didn't actually say that but the rest of the sentence is true.

The screen is different from other falcon screens in that this one uses splines around the frame of the screen instead of O-Rings. I am super impressed with it. The frame is rigid and sturdy. The brackets and the attaching hardware for the corners of the screen come together tight and square. From the front of the screen you are hard pressed to find the seam running in the fabric for the corners. Installation is done with a locking cam mounted on a 90 degree angle joiner that fits in the screen itself. Ill take a few photos.

Velvet around the screen is so black that unless I have a flash light I cannot see the difference between the screen border and the 3" gap I have between the walls on either side. Its that dark.

Mounting the fabric was easy as well. After unrolling the screen onto the provided the drop sheet, equipping the provided gloves,and following the instructions a friend of mine and I began to insert the temporary splines. We put a bit of tension on the screen while we did this but didn't reef on it. There is a little pucker in between places with the temporary splines. After the temporary came the permanent. When we installed these ones we tucked them brackets into the screen towards the outside. This tensioned the screen nice and tight and at the end there was zero pucker. From a distance of about 12" I cant see the screen weave anymore. I have better then 20/20. From sitting at the viewing position it looks like a piece of paper or a solid white colour.

Mounting the screen onto the 2x4 framing is a breeze as well. Supplied are two french cleats that prop the screen up. Falcon screens provides levels for the cleats so you know they're level.

All in all a well built and well thought out screen. I am happy I went with my purchase of a Falcon Screen.

Here is a photo of me putting in the temporary splines.

JSKMDWK and snickers1 like this.

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #488 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 1929
curious as to why the transition to splines? Or was this just a one-off
post #489 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
curious as to why the transition to splines? Or was this just a one-off
The Horizon Fabric is not as rigid as the HD Fabric so with the splines it insures the Fabric is properly tensioned and Flat. Only the Horizon Fabric uses the new system.
JSKMDWK likes this.
post #490 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
The Horizon Fabric is not as rigid as the HD Fabric so with the splines it insures the Fabric is properly tensioned and Flat. Only the Horizon Fabric uses the new system.
Must be a new thing then? The one you sent me definitely uses the o-rings
post #491 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Must be a new thing then? The one you sent me definitely uses the o-rings
Yep, o-rings & rubber bands for me too. And I have some minor puckering issues in a couple of places. Maybe this new system would have addressed that.
post #492 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yep, o-rings for me too. And I have some minor puckering issues in a couple of places. Maybe this new system would have addressed that.

I have the same issue with one side of the screen. It's not a big deal and can only be seen when you walk up close to it. I wonder if that would fix the problem though. All my o-rings are centered to the screws on the back that they attach to.
post #493 of 502 Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
My screen also had some streaking on it. You can barely see it with the room lights on (the puckers too) and not at all when the image is projected on the screen, so I haven't thought it that big a deal. Rich said to throw the screen in the dryer on the "steam" cycle for 20 minutes and see if that didn't take those streaks away. They're not wrinkles though, more like slightly discolored streaks. Haven't wanted to take the screen down and put it back together in order to try it yet.

The puckers I sort of pulled out and smoothed as best I could. They're barely noticeable now.
post #494 of 502 Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 225
O-rings for my screen as well.

I had some "wrinkling" which is barely noticeable and Rich gave me the same recommendation of throwing it in the dryer. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of taking the screen apart.

Overall, I am very pleased with my screen....O-rings and all.
post #495 of 502 Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 225
A couple photos of the screen wall..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151223_125125_001 (1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1155306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151223_125714 (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1155314  
eng-399 likes this.
post #496 of 502 Old 01-01-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 658
The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread

Today was the first day I was able to get everything going with 3D in the room. My Sony HW40 projecting on the Falcon Horizon screen looked great. It had a great picture and the wife and kids loved it. Still love this Falcon Horizon screen.
post #497 of 502 Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Would it be possible to get some pictures of the masking panels with higher light? Do we know the material that is used under the felt?

Thanks!
post #498 of 502 Old 01-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Thx for your response. No need to order the sample. I have Horizon screen already :-). Its been placed as well. Currently my LCR is 5 1/2 inches behind screen. But at that point, I"m getting bad results for mid range after calibration and therefore thinking about moving the speakers to get a better response. Here is my center and right speakers response. as you can see that right after 220Hx, it just falls down about 10db with 80Hz (220-300). Plus all the frequencies from 300Hz and below and lower than I expected it. That may be the room correction doing it for the most part. I'll figure that part out.

Did you get this figured out about how far back from the screen you need to be?
Allen
post #499 of 502 Old 01-25-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Did you ever find out an end result? I am in the same boat with my choices - Thx
post #500 of 502 Old 01-25-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddleton5401 View Post
Did you ever find out an end result? I am in the same boat with my choices - Thx
yes. I have been using the material for a while I like it very much. The issue with dip was the placement of speaker. Its still there but it has nothing to do with screen. The material has a very uniform display and doesn't any artifacts to the image. If only we can have AT screen with 1.3 gain though ;-)
post #501 of 502 Old 01-25-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
yes. I have been using the material for a while I like it very much. The issue with dip was the placement of speaker. Its still there but it has nothing to do with screen. The material has a very uniform display and doesn't any artifacts to the image. If only we can have AT screen with 1.3 gain though ;-)
Do you mean the distance from the screen is the culprit, or the overall room characteristics? If it is the distance from the screen, did you make any test measurements at other distances to see if the loss was uniform or not?

Thanks in advance, I am planning the distance from my in wall speakers now.
post #502 of 502 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I currently have a spandex screen that is nice, but it has a blur or fuzziness to it. Falcon screens just sent me a sample of the Vision HD and it looks great! Here's a comparison of the two attached. If you look closely you'll notice a distinct difference in sharpness and brightness; the Falcon Screen looks way better (top half of image), IMO. Does anyone know if the Vision HD is 4k compatible or do you have to buy the Horizon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160201_194214.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1224729  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens