The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #31 of 351 Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk26 View Post

I sent an Email via the website 2 days ago Rich and have yet to hear back.......

PM sent

Thanks
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 351 Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good,Please do come back here and post with your impressions and subjective review after you have checked it out! 23.gif
post #33 of 351 Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdhouses View Post

good,Please do come back here and post with your impressions and subjective review after you have checked it out! 23.gif

we have scheduled a time first weekend of October, i am looking forward to his visit should be fun, hopefully seeing a completed Theater will only motivate BrolicBeast to get started on his build.
post #34 of 351 Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Is black backing recommended for /shipped with this screen? The En4k screen I had definitely needed it, even though my area behind the screen was black Linacoustic. The vertical support bars were easily seen as blacker areas than the rest of the screen. Installing the black backing eliminated this. I would assume this screen has about the same amount of light "blow through" as the En4k?
post #35 of 351 Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Is black backing recommended for /shipped with this screen? The En4k screen I had definitely needed it, even though my area behind the screen was black Linacoustic. The vertical support bars were easily seen as blacker areas than the rest of the screen. Installing the black backing eliminated this. I would assume this screen has about the same amount of light "blow through" as the En4k?

Our screens do not have vertical support bars so as long as behind the screen is black linacoustic there should be no issue.
we currently do not offer black backing material.

Thanks
Rich
post #36 of 351 Old 09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Does this screen have less blow through than other woven screens? Seems like not having the backing layer would hurt contrast. Putting it on improved perceived contrast on my En4k screen.
post #37 of 351 Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Does this screen have less blow through than other woven screens? Seems like not having the backing layer would hurt contrast. Putting it on improved perceived contrast on my En4k screen.

No it would be very similar to other "woven" screens.
post #38 of 351 Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. Well with no bars to show the difference and some gain to it, perhaps that will offset the need. Look forward to talking with you tonight.
post #39 of 351 Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Ok. Well with no bars to show the difference and some gain to it, perhaps that will offset the need. Look forward to talking with you tonight.

sounds good smile.gif
post #40 of 351 Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

What is "blow through"? Is that a technical term?

So check this out. I posted this in a different thread, but seems appropriate to post it here. My frequency response test of the AT screen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

For those interested, I recently had a chance to frame out the AT Screen, throw the L/C/R behind the screen and take some measurements. Here are the results...

No Screen:

No Screen vs Screen:

Here is the "no screen" response and the response after a quick EQ adjustment:

Just like the screen isn't even there... Very very pleased with the results!

Here are all graphs combined for reference:
[/URL

This screen is awesome. No complaints anywhere. Well, I take that back. This screen is quite a bit more heavy that my last screen, which makes it almost impossible to manipulate by myself. Hence one of the reasons in delay of getting these measurements posted...I had to bug the wifey to come down to help me!

tongue.gif
post #41 of 351 Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I forgot to update this thread with the final screen wall from NYGiantsFan23's project.

Man, that looks great Jeff.

Reminds me...I need to take a few updated of my room to post up.
post #42 of 351 Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Blow through is a term for the light that passes through the screen. This would reflect off of whatever is behind the screen. As for who coined the term? I don't know. Maybe I read it in the white paper on perf vs woven on Stewarts website.
post #43 of 351 Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I forgot to update this thread with the final screen wall from NYGiantsFan23's project.

I visited this amazing theater today--my mind is still blown. As far as the Falcon Screen goes, the PQ is stunning and the weave is NOT visible until you get around 3-4 feet from the screen--and if the light is dimmed, you won't see the weave period. To put this in perspective, the coating texture on my non-AT Stewart ST130 G3 is easier to see from 4 feet away than the weave in the Falcon Screen materiel. Anyone who has any concerns about the weave in AT screens need not worry if Falcon Screens in on their short list. One of my biggest concerns about going AT was light loss; however, I can definitely say that the picture was very bright on the 130" screen being lit bu a JVC 4810 in normal lamp mode. This leads me to believe that as long as a buyer is careful about projector selection, although light loss through AT may be measurable by high-end meters, it won't impact screen brightness detrimentally--even at reasonably large screen sizes. In terms of the screen and sound quality, the above graphs posted by Popalock confirm what i heard today. With proper EQ, the AT screen is not an audible detractor. Great Screen!
post #44 of 351 Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I tried to get a sample from Rich, but he doesn't send it outside of the US.. does anyone have an old sample they could mail to me? I'll pay for shipping of course.. and if i like it, i can have a friend get it for me in the US then ship out to me...

It sucks not living in the US because so many great products come from there but usually don't sell overseas... mad.gif
post #45 of 351 Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I tried to get a sample from Rich, but he doesn't send it outside of the US.. does anyone have an old sample they could mail to me? I'll pay for shipping of course.. and if i like it, i can have a friend get it for me in the US then ship out to me...

It sucks not living in the US because so many great products come from there but usually don't sell overseas... mad.gif

pm sent
post #46 of 351 Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have ordered a large screen (160" wide, scope) from Rich. I liked the sample and it seemed on par with the Centerstage XD for brightness but with a MUCH less apparent weave. Obviously the weave is not as fine as the EN4k, but its a 1 gain screen instead of .77. It does seem to have a slightly different white "color" than the XD when both are side by side, but I can calibrate that out. Not sure which is more accurate anyway. Ill just let my spectro and Calman decide on what to do smile.gif.
snickers1 likes this.
post #47 of 351 Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Hi all, Rich was nice enough to let my fiance and I come check out his theater for another look at the Falcon Screen. What a gorgeous room its. The attention to detail is top-notch and the muted, industrial color scheme goes very well with the Home Theater theme. I have to echo my comments below--the screen really is quite the performer and the weave cannot be seen from normal viewing distances. Rich uses a Panasonic 8000 projector, which outputs plenty of light onto the screen. Light loss should not be a concern with AT Screens, as long as a projector (with the right lumen output) is selected. I continue to be thoroughly impressed by Falcon Screens, and I will be placing my order as soon as construction is completed in the new house! I've seen many screens in my day, from low-end to high-end. and Falcon Screens is up there with the best of them in terms of picture quality. Add to that, a quality weave with low-to-no visibility, and you've got yourself a winner!

My first experience with Falcon Screens is listed below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I visited this amazing theater today--my mind is still blown. As far as the Falcon Screen goes, the PQ is stunning and the weave is NOT visible until you get around 3-4 feet from the screen--and if the light is dimmed, you won't see the weave period. To put this in perspective, the coating texture on my non-AT Stewart ST130 G3 is easier to see from 4 feet away than the weave in the Falcon Screen materiel. Anyone who has any concerns about the weave in AT screens need not worry if Falcon Screens in on their short list. One of my biggest concerns about going AT was light loss; however, I can definitely say that the picture was very bright on the 130" screen being lit bu a JVC 4810 in normal lamp mode. This leads me to believe that as long as a buyer is careful about projector selection, although light loss through AT may be measurable by high-end meters, it won't impact screen brightness detrimentally--even at reasonably large screen sizes. In terms of the screen and sound quality, the above graphs posted by Popalock confirm what i heard today. With proper EQ, the AT screen is not an audible detractor. Great Screen!
snickers1 likes this.
post #48 of 351 Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Due to the fact that you have no black backing behind your screen are the cones of speakers visible? Does the light from the projector reflect off them at all? That would be one of my main concerns. Based on current feedback it probably is not that big of deal.
post #49 of 351 Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Due to the fact that you have no black backing behind your screen are the cones of speakers visible? Does the light from the projector reflect off them at all? That would be one of my main concerns. Based on current feedback it probably is not that big of deal.

here is shot of the My speakers behind the screen they Dayton 12" and for those that are not familiar with them they have a very shinny cone
the only time they are seen is if i turn the lights on behind the screen in my case they are about 6" from the screen

post #50 of 351 Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Awesome look! Planning on putting JTR Noesis, and dual opposed 18" subs behind which ever AT screen I decide on. Just wanted to make sure I did not see anything shiny if I decide to go with this screen.
snickers1 likes this.
post #51 of 351 Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Due to space constraints, my speakers are literally 2" from my screen. My speaker cones are a reflective copper color. That said, I have had 0 issues with any reflections behind the screen.

Nothing to worry about IMO.
snickers1 likes this.
post #52 of 351 Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Awesome look! Planning on putting JTR Noesis, and dual opposed 18" subs behind which ever AT screen I decide on. Just wanted to make sure I did not see anything shiny if I decide to go with this screen.

It really wouldn't be that hard to make your own black backing either. All you would need to do is run down to your local fabric store and pick up some black speaker cloth and install it behind the screen.
post #53 of 351 Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 579
AV Science is now a Falcon screen dealer. Rich, it was nice meeting you at CEDIA and welcome to the fold. smile.gif
ellisr63 and popalock like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #54 of 351 Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got mine up (about 161" wide scope) and must say that I am a fan. Very nice fit and finish and the screen texture is very good. With a bright sky or high IRE image on the screen I can see no texture at all past about 3-4 feet, which is really about the same as the EN4K under those same conditions. With my harsh screen lights on that show every single imperfection in a screen, its still about 80% as smooth looking as the EN4k and WAY, WAY smoother than the Centerstage XD. I let someone borrow my Spectro so I cannot get a ftL reading right now to see how much brighter it is than my EN4k screen was (even though I am also on a different copy of the same Sony 1000 projector, so that will be slightly different as well).

So far I give it a strong recommendation.
snickers1 likes this.
post #55 of 351 Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

AV Science is now a Falcon screen dealer. Rich, it was nice meeting you at CEDIA and welcome to the fold. smile.gif

Thanks Mike! it was great meeting you and Fellow AVS'rs
post #56 of 351 Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

And thank you Mac hs10 for suggesting the Falcon to me! smile.gif
post #57 of 351 Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched the Croods tonight on it with company. Always makes you feel good when you can just barely hear the other guy's wife lean over and say something to him about how clear and amazing it looks right when it starts.
post #58 of 351 Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Outstanding news! Congrats on the partnership.
snickers1 likes this.
post #59 of 351 Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by luangaoyiji View Post

great, I am excited to check out the performance aspects of the screen--particularly, brightness and seating distance/viewable weave threshold. It seems like a great product!thanks
paXMwh

From a side by side comparison with the xd material it appears that I can no longer see the weave at 7 feet but still have that feeling something is there until I move to 10 feet away at which point it's extremely smooth. The xd is at 10 feet when I started not to see the weave but about 12 feet when complete feeling of smoothness.

When watching stills of colorful images the falcon appears to have richer colors n higher contrast but when watching movies it seems like the xd is brighter. It's still a difficult call for me.... need to do more testing... btw I was using the sony hw50
post #60 of 351 Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I have a question:

Background: I have ordered a Sony 600ES to replace my JVC RS55. My concern is that I am going to lose most of the increased brightness I have paid for by using an AT screen. I purchased an XD based upon the recommendations of another user but just learned about this product. Both screens (that for the JVC and for the Sony) are 120 x 51. I know that Stewart sells a higher gain screen but my bet is that it would be 5 times what I paid for my XD.

My JVC screen was the Stewart StudioTec 1.3 gain screen and while the XD claims a gain of 1.2, Mike Garrett of AVS says it is measured at less than 1, ---- which translates, if you do the math, to only a 10% increase in brightness of the Sony over the JVC. BAD investment.

What is the independently measured (not advertised) gain of the Falcon screen?? At least according to one observer who compared the XD side by side to the Falcon screen, the XD was a bit brighter. I have little concern over visible weave as I will be about 14 feet from the screen.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
Reply Screens