The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #61 of 222 Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

AV Science is now a Falcon screen dealer. Rich, it was nice meeting you at CEDIA and welcome to the fold. smile.gif

Awesome!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 222 Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Can I get input from those who have either purchased or seen a Falcon Screen in person? I am upgrading my Da-Lite 133" Cinema Vision screen to an AT screen (similar size, 133") and was informed of Falcon Screens. They look like a fantastic solution and I am near to pulling the trigger....but I wouldn't be doing my due diligence if I didn't ask for any and all opinions.

I have two rows of seats, my closest row being about 12' from the screen. Just wondering how the Falcon Screen will compare to some of the more reviewed/used AT screens, especially the "4k" AT screens.

Thanks!
post #63 of 222 Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I compared it to my EN4k screen in post about 8 or 9 posts back of this thread.
post #64 of 222 Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Can I get input from those who have either purchased or seen a Falcon Screen in person? I am upgrading my Da-Lite 133" Cinema Vision screen to an AT screen (similar size, 133") and was informed of Falcon Screens. They look like a fantastic solution and I am near to pulling the trigger....but I wouldn't be doing my due diligence if I didn't ask for any and all opinions.

I have two rows of seats, my closest row being about 12' from the screen. Just wondering how the Falcon Screen will compare to some of the more reviewed/used AT screens, especially the "4k" AT screens.

Thanks!

I just ordered my 120" screen from Rich and Falcon screens, I'm pretty excited about it and I'll definitely give some impression when I get it and put it up. I also have a good size 2'x2' piece of XD screen material and the Enlightor 4k material that I can compare it with.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #65 of 222 Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Liked: 10

The sample was cut on an angle so you will not need to tilt it. you should not be seeing any color shift it is Acoustically Transparent material so not only does the sound travel through it, you also get some light passing through so you may be seeing the light reflecting off your vinyl material.

fFSB

post #66 of 222 Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Jbrown15,

Any update on your install and your impression? I'm about to buy pj and screen myself. Talked myself into the jvc 46 and wonder about the ability to calibrate on this screen. It's about half the cost of an en4k, but appears to have a little lower spectral performance.

Russ
post #67 of 222 Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What does lower spectral performance mean?
post #68 of 222 Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Guess that was my version of 'not quite as neutral' as an en4k. But that's my conclusion from reading every review I can find of the two. It's a moot point for me, since I'm trying to decide between the falcon and XD now. Ruled out the EN4K for budget reasons. Both frames appear to be of similar design and strength. And 'super black', 'infinite black', 'black hole black', etc are probably all pretty darn close when they're all made of velvet.

I think I have enough projector output, so gain being the same I would go for the most neutral screen. My eyes are much better than my ears these days.

Russ
post #69 of 222 Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Can anyone post photos of how the screen material is attached to the frame?
post #70 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Can anyone post photos of how the screen material is attached to the frame?

here is a pic of one being installed by bigmouthinva in one of his theater builds

also the full install of one of our screens.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptus-not-bigmouthindc-and-nygiantsfan23-launch-the-rawlinsway-theater/300#post_23433355
post #71 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

XD has a very noticeable weave. I personally wouldn't use it unless your closest viewing distance is 11 to 12 feet. From my 9.5' viewing distance it is completely unwatchable for me.
I do not have a sample of the Falcon material but from close up pictures it appears to be considerably better in this regard.
The biggest draw to XD seems to be from the DIY crowd because the fabric is available by itself.
Like most screens, I believe the new Falcon material only come packaged with a frame.

Actually we will supply to DIY upon request

David if you would like a sample of the Falcon fabric send me pm i will be happy to send you out a sample

Thanks
Rich
popalock and DavidK442 like this.
post #72 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver View Post

Guess that was my version of 'not quite as neutral' as an en4k. But that's my conclusion from reading every review I can find of the two. It's a moot point for me, since I'm trying to decide between the falcon and XD now. Ruled out the EN4K for budget reasons. Both frames appear to be of similar design and strength. And 'super black', 'infinite black', 'black hole black', etc are probably all pretty darn close when they're all made of velvet.

I think I have enough projector output, so gain being the same I would go for the most neutral screen. My eyes are much better than my ears these days.

Russ

Well since I had huge screens (161" wide, scope) of both materials I can definitely say that the install of the Falcon was many times easier than the En4k. I did not care for the "friction fit" method of the En4k at all. Just the act of picking up the screen to put it into my aperture opening would cause the material to come loose and I would have to start over pushing the material back into the grooves. Both the grommet install method (which is also used by the XD screen) and the very nice corner brackets on the Falcon made install much easier.

Unless I just had tons of lumens to spare (which means your screen isn't large enough smile.gif ), I would not choose En4k over Falcon. Yes the En4k is a bit smoother of a fabric, but the Falcon disappears as much as it needs to, and MUCH better than XD.

FYI my projector is the Sony 1000ES 4k unit, so if someone is wondering if the Falcon is "4k ready", it is. That is mostly marketing jargon for a screen, anyway, but just in case....
snickers1 likes this.
post #73 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the impressions between the two. Skipping over AT properties and weave concerns with distance, do you have an impression on color accuracy between XD and Falcon?

My primary sitting distance is about 13', so I'm not too worried about weave, but would prefer to have a finer weave if budget allows.

Russ
post #74 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The only way to say which is truly more neutral would be to measure both with a known good meter like a Jeti at minimum. The En4k has a slightly "grayer" look to the fabric, while the Falcon looks slightly warmer in color temperature than the XD does. I have no idea which is most accurate. None have any shift in color across the screen or from an angle, so that is what would cause the most harm.

Any could be calibrated with proper tools with a meter facing the screen so that it wouldn't really matter.
post #75 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

Actually we will supply to DIY upon request

David if you would like a sample of the Falcon fabric send me pm i will be happy to send you out a sample

Thanks
Rich

Nice!!!

post #76 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Hifiaudio2,

For calibration, would it be necessary to have a projector with a CMS or not? My plan is for the JVC DLA-46, which does not have a full CMS. Getting down to the wire on ordering and my learning curve is still steep.

Russ
post #77 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It really all depends on how far you want to take it. It can really be a rabbit hole, too....

There are just so many levels of deciding how "perfect" you want things to be.

If your room is light controlled and you have neutral walls, and you want to be absolutely certain you are seeing the image as close as possible to the director's intent, you would want a meter, software, and a projector with a CMS at a minimum. Now, keep in mind, you can get a Lumagen mini for around $1100 that adds controls that are better than basically any projector. So you could buy that JVC and add a Lumagen, a meter, and Calman / Chromapure software and get "automated" calibration of both grayscale and color.

Now, the meter you buy also makes a difference. You can get Chromapure or Calman and a Colorimeter in the $500 - $600 range, or step up to an "entry level" Spectroradiometer like the i1Pro for around $900 for the meter plus software, I believe. Then there are more accurate meters above that that go for 8-10k, and then into the 35k range and above!. See what I mean about what level of "perfect" you want?

Of course for a few hundred you can just hire someone to calibrate for you. I would probably not pay just to have someone fix my grayscale, though. If you get a projector with a CMS or an outboard Lumagen then that makes more sense.

So like I said, it all depends!

Unless you are REALLY into this hobby, and assuming you are on a reasonable budget that the DLA-46 projector choice suggests, I would just calibrate the grayscale with something like this, and be happy. Assuming you are calibrating with the meter facing the screen, this would also eliminate any visible color shifting a screen could impart on the image and bring it back close to neutral. And if you ever get a projector with a CMS or buy a Lumagen, you can take the calibration further with the same hardware / software you just bought.
post #78 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks Hifi,

That's the only thing that concerns me about the JVC projector; limited color control. You're pretty much stuck with their 3 options if I understand things correctly. Unless of course I decide to buy an external color processor.

Russ
post #79 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you can at least get into a service menu and do a two point Grayscale correction. But I could be wrong... I haven't looked at the JVCs in a while.
post #80 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I really wish we could buy an AT fabric from someone with a higher gain closer to 1.3 (true measurement) for those of us with large screens 145" diag. or more.
post #81 of 222 Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Hey guys,

Received my screen today, delivered by FedEx Freight. Let me say this, Rich ensures there is no possibility of damage AT ALL biggrin.gif

Still waiting on the new projector, so I can't give picture impressions but so far this screen gets an A+ for EVERY category. Construction, quality, directions, easy assembly. Cannot wait to get my projector and start watching movies again with this new setup!

gpmbc and snickers1 like this.
post #82 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I've had snickers over to my house a few times now.. the first time was just before he started his screen company, the last two were after. I have an SMX screen... in fact one of the last ones purchased here on AVS before the company started going belly-up. Anyway, Snickers hasn't brought material over to do a side-by-side but he seems to swear that the fabric he uses is similar if not the same as the one that Ruben/Sandman used for SMX. It would be interesting to find out, that is for sure.

At the same time, I've been to his place and have seen his screen and it looked great. I know he wants to upgrade his frame to using more of a black-black velvet, which I'm sure will be a future change for him. I also like the grommet installation of the material to the frame much better than the weird rubber friction connectors SMX used.

I'm glad to see you are getting re-sold through AVS!!! Congrats!
post #83 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

I've had snickers over to my house a few times now.. the first time was just before he started his screen company, the last two were after. I have an SMX screen... in fact one of the last ones purchased here on AVS before the company started going belly-up. Anyway, Snickers hasn't brought material over to do a side-by-side but he seems to swear that the fabric he uses is similar if not the same as the one that Ruben/Sandman used for SMX. It would be interesting to find out, that is for sure.

At the same time, I've been to his place and have seen his screen and it looked great. I know he wants to upgrade his frame to using more of a black-black velvet, which I'm sure will be a future change for him. I also like the grommet installation of the material to the frame much better than the weird rubber friction connectors SMX used.

I'm glad to see you are getting re-sold through AVS!!! Congrats!

Whaaa? I can't imagine the velvet getting any better or darker that it currently is?!?

post #84 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Whaaa? I can't imagine the velvet getting any better or darker that it currently is?!?

The two samples he did show me, one was a deeper black than the other. I just thought it was cool that he was so picky about it and was already looking for ways to improve his product.
post #85 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

The two samples he did show me, one was a deeper black than the other. I just thought it was cool that he was so picky about it and was already looking for ways to improve his product.

what we currently use is extremly black but yes i am always looking to grow and improve i would not say changeing from the current material to a different velvet would be considered an actual imporvement to what we currently use
both materials are extremly black, the trades off are what we currently use seams be more durable less suspectiable to crush marks and does not leave any fuzz behind. Also when testing the other velvet material i did notice if you look at
it at certain angle you can see a tiny and mean tiny bit of the frame through it. this would probably not be a big deal because i can't imagine anyone ever flipping there screen around at weird angles but it was just something i observed.
I am very happy with what is currently used.. but seeing i was at the bacon race Theater and had helped with rehanging the screen after he had placed his new subs i took the opurtunity to check the SMX screen.

The material is from the naked eye is similar so i used my trusty zoom app on the iphone and zoomied to take pic of the weave pattern then later did the same on my screen and they where very different. both very smooth tight weaves but the Falcon material is defiantly different.
post #86 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

The material is from the naked eye is similar so i used my trusty zoom app on the iphone and zoomied to take pic of the weave pattern then later did the same on my screen and they where very different. both very smooth tight weaves but the Falcon material is defiantly different.

Ah, good to know. Gotta love digital technology!
post #87 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Unfortunately "Highly reflective transparency" is an oxymoron...currently.

Would you like to explain.

When I mention a higher gain AT fabric, I'm only talking about a TRUE 1.3 gain.
post #88 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Would you like to explain.

When I mention a higher gain AT fabric, I'm only talking about a TRUE 1.3 gain.

I have yet to see a true 1.0 gain.. I would indeed be great if there's a 1.3 gain out there...
post #89 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you can always get a Stewart microperf Studiotek for a true ~1.2 gain for only $7k - 10k.
post #90 of 222 Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I have yet to see a true 1.0 gain.. I would indeed be great if there's a 1.3 gain out there...

Yes very true, looks like all the screen manufacturers lie with the ratings of gain. They always up the gain when they are actually lower than specified!
coolgeek likes this.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page