The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #181 of 352 Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I ordered a sample from Rich, Seymour and Carls shearweave but I'm still framing my theater. I'm going with a floor to ceiling 16:9 screen to make the most out of my 7ft ceilings. I'm liking what I've read so far and feel I'll be going with Falcon as well. Here's an image shot on a concrete wall with a terrible beige stucco. I'm quite happy with the image quality so hopefully a white screen will look good.

snickers1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 352 Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Are the masking panels covered in black fabric? What kind / brand?

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be covering the ceiling and walls around the screen in black fabric and thought it might be good to match it to the masking panels. Or not. I'm really not sure. But I do know I'm going to have to be making a lot of finish choices very soon, for better or worse. Drywall hanging in the theater room is starting Monday! Finally! After having the room rough framed now for 9 months...
post #183 of 352 Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Are the masking panels covered in black fabric? What kind / brand?

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be covering the ceiling and walls around the screen in black fabric and thought it might be good to match it to the masking panels. Or not. I'm really not sure. But I do know I'm going to have to be making a lot of finish choices very soon, for better or worse. Drywall hanging in the theater room is starting Monday! Finally! After having the room rough framed now for 9 months...

Yes they are covered in black acoustically transparent material, the inner edge of the masking panel is covered with the same velvet as the frame.
a screen using black Gom is always a great match.
post #184 of 352 Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Hi All,

New to the forum, building my first HT. A very modest set-up compared to others, but never the less, something that will give us a lot of enjoyment. (I hope!) This is an interesting thread, I've read through all of it to see what everyone's input is on the different screen types. Jon at Seymour is sending me a sample of both the XD and UF material to check out up close, since my viewing distance will only be about 8-9ft. After reading this thread, it seems to me there are other choices for me to consider, (manufacturers) that offer just the material for DIY screens? I'm also interested in the new AT masking Snickers has mentioned above. I will be using 2:40.1 aspect ratio using the zoom method, so would like to mask to a 16:9 at times.

Can anyone suggest where I might get other samples to compare with the Seymour screen samples on their way?  

John

post #185 of 352 Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmi View Post

Hi All,

New to the forum, building my first HT. A very modest set-up compared to others, but never the less, something that will give us a lot of enjoyment. (I hope!) This is an interesting thread, I've read through all of it to see what everyone's input is on the different screen types. Jon at Seymour is sending me a sample of both the XD and UF material to check out up close, since my viewing distance will only be about 8-9ft. After reading this thread, it seems to me there are other choices for me to consider, (manufacturers) that offer just the material for DIY screens? I'm also interested in the new AT masking Snickers has mentioned above. I will be using 2:40.1 aspect ratio using the zoom method, so would like to mask to a 16:9 at times.

Can anyone suggest where I might get other samples to compare with the Seymour screen samples on their way?  

John

John, just send me a pm with your address and we will be happy to send you out a sample of the Falcon material. We also offer our material for DIY.
post #186 of 352 Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

John, just send me a pm with your address and we will be happy to send you out a sample of the Falcon material. We also offer our material for DIY.

Perfect Rich, PM sent and thanks. 

post #187 of 352 Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:

Hi All,

John

Definitely get a Falcon screen sample, I know there was no way I could use the XD material at 9ft away. The Falcon screen material would be a perfect fit for you IMO. smile.gif
snickers1 likes this.
post #188 of 352 Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've ordered my screen and it's en route to my house now. Overall size is 140x80 for a 158" 16:9. I'll post pics when I can, still building theater but should be done in a few weeks.
snickers1 likes this.
post #189 of 352 Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Definitely get a Falcon screen sample, I know there was no way I could use the XD material at 9ft away. The Falcon screen material would be a perfect fit for you IMO. smile.gif

Thanks for the info. Yea, Rich is sending me a sample. I was also concerned about seeing the patterns in the XD so was actually thinking the UF would be better for me. (despite its lower gain) Although, after reading this thead I've learned that the Falcon may do better than either of the others, so I'm really looking forward to checking out that sample when it arrives. 

post #190 of 352 Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Johnmi I am in Nashville so if you ever want to come see a 161" wide Falcon screen you are welcome to come over.
snickers1 likes this.
post #191 of 352 Old 05-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Johnmi I am in Nashville so if you ever want to come see a 161" wide Falcon screen you are welcome to come over.

HiFi audio, Thanks for the invite I may take you up on it. So far, I've heard nothing but good things about the Falcon screens. I'm in the building process, so no immediate rush to get any one thing in particular so I'm doing alot of research. There's so much to all of this, I can't even guess how many pages of specs I've read in the last few weeks! (between screens and all the other nec. equipment)

Thanks again for the offer, much appreciated.

John

post #192 of 352 Old 06-06-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Question for Rich or anyone who's bought the masking panels...

I'm going to have a 110" 'scope Falcon screen with Bronze Triads in the wall behind it. Are the masking panels completely acoustically transparent or will I need to have my receiver's Audyssey program re-calibrate the speakers for when the panels are deployed? Will the volume level for them have to be adjusted slightly upward to compensate for any acoustic damping the panels might inadvertently create? Would it make sense to have two different calibration points that would change (I'm assuming my receiver can do that), maybe with a macro command, when the aspect ratio was changed and that panels were added or removed?

Anybody tested for that?
post #193 of 352 Old 06-06-2014, 06:32 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Question for Rich or anyone who's bought the masking panels...

I'm going to have a 110" 'scope Falcon screen with Bronze Triads in the wall behind it. Are the masking panels completely acoustically transparent or will I need to have my receiver's Audyssey program re-calibrate the speakers for when the panels are deployed? Will the volume level for them have to be adjusted slightly upward to compensate for any acoustic damping the panels might inadvertently create? Would it make sense to have two different calibration points that would change (I'm assuming my receiver can do that), maybe with a macro command, when the aspect ratio was changed and that panels were added or removed?

Anybody tested for that?

you will not need to recalarbrate your system to compensate for when you have the panels installed. In our testing they was only a .3db difference with the panels installed as apposed to without them installed.
this is assuming your entire speaker is covered by the panel.
post #194 of 352 Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

you will not need to recalarbrate your system to compensate for when you have the panels installed. In our testing they was only a .3db difference with the panels installed as apposed to without them installed.
this is assuming your entire speaker is covered by the panel.

You know, the edge of the masking panel might actually fall right down the middle of the L/R speakers. Is there a frame member on the sides that might cause an issue if that's the case?
post #195 of 352 Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

You know, the edge of the masking panel might actually fall right down the middle of the L/R speakers. Is there a frame member on the sides that might cause an issue if that's the case?

no the frame of the masking the panels is very thin only 1" wide
post #196 of 352 Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Hi Rich, I received the sample you sent me and it looks great. Just sent you a PM. 

John

post #197 of 352 Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Hi Rich, I received the sample you sent me and it looks great. Just sent you a PM. 

John

Thanks John got it
post #198 of 352 Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 PM

AT screen material

Well after a lot of comparing, I've decided to go with the Falcon screen material from Rich.

At my seating distance of 9ft. it will be fine and much better than the others I checked out. (The XD and also the UF material) IMO, I found the gain to be very comparable to the XD material and noticeably higher gain than the UF material I tested against and a better PQ quality with the Falcon.

Now I just have to start thinking about building a good frame, not to mention the rest of the room!
post #199 of 352 Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have requested a sample as I am looking for a new AT screen (coming from a non AT fixed frame) and wanted to see if anyone was watching 3D on this Falcon fabric and if I should expect a different PQ compared to watching 3D on a non AT Screen?

Thanks!
post #200 of 352 Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Assuming a seating distance where the weave disappears, 3D will look identical, except a little dimmer assuming that your non AT screen had at least some gain.
johnmi likes this.
post #201 of 352 Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 PM

At 9ft, the Falcon screen material weave is not visible to me. This was one of two main concerns I had in choosing which material to use for our screen. Perhaps someone with better vision might see it closer? but even down to 6ft it looks good to us.

After many "tests" using different materials behind the 3 screen samples I was comparing, I concluded the gain of the Falcon was very comparable to the XD material. (Using ONLY our visual reference for comparison, no meters used) I studied the gain as best I could (again only from a visual reference) using different input signals, brightness settings and different movie scenes etc., since 3D is also a concern for me I really wanted to compare gain. I feel the Falcon was equally as bright as the XD and much brighter than the UF material. Secondly, I could clearly see the weave in the XD material at 9ft and even as close as about 5-6ft.

I'm in the process of building my first dedicated HT so I'm a newbie when it comes to HT screens. My testing is crude to say the least in comparison to technical methods of testing, but hopefully this will give a bit of useful info to others in the same boat as myself. IMO, the Falcon material beat the other two samples hands down. Thanks for all your help Rich!

BTW hifiaudio2, I've just read through your build thread, fantastic job and a beautiful outcome on your theater room. Congrats!

John
post #202 of 352 Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
I have requested a sample as I am looking for a new AT screen (coming from a non AT fixed frame) and wanted to see if anyone was watching 3D on this Falcon fabric and if I should expect a different PQ compared to watching 3D on a non AT Screen?

Thanks!

Hi Barrettmr,
I spent quite a bit of time deciding which material to use and just finally purchased Falcon material for a DIY AT screen. I can't say compared to a non-AT screen when it comes to 3D, but I can say that the Falcon material looked better than the other AT materials I compared it against. I "tested" three types (as I posted above) and the Falcon was the best looking PQ to me and I can't see the weave at 9ft. 3D is also important to us so I spent a lot of time comparing the gain as best I could. Again, I think the Falcon gain was as good or better than the other AT materials. Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by johnmi; 06-17-2014 at 05:47 PM.
post #203 of 352 Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmi View Post
Hi Barrettmr,
I spent quite a bit of time deciding which material to use and just finally purchased Falcon material for a DIY AT screen. I can't say compared to a non-AT screen when it comes to 3D, but I can say that the Falcon material looked better than the other AT materials I compared it against. I "tested" three types (as I posted above) and the Falcon was the best looking PQ to me and I can't see the weave at 9ft. 3D is also important to us so I spent a lot of time comparing the gain as best I could. Again, I think the Falcon gain was as good or better than the other AT materials. Hope this helps.

John

Great thanks for the quick reply, that makes me feel much better, I have the Epson 5020UB which has a good amount to light power for 3d so it sounds like I would have a good experience with this screen, I'm going from a 106" diagonal HDTV screen to this 120" to 130" AT screen, my first row is about 14' back so I think it should be a good fit!
post #204 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Great thanks for the quick reply, that makes me feel much better, I have the Epson 5020UB which has a good amount to light power for 3d so it sounds like I would have a good experience with this screen, I'm going from a 106" diagonal HDTV screen to this 120" to 130" AT screen, my first row is about 14' back so I think it should be a good fit!
Great. I'm glad the bit of info I offered may help you out. When you get your sample, you'll see what I'm talking about. Do you have other sample types to compare against?
post #205 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Well I took a good look at all the info on the website and read all the reviews here and decided to order now without the samples... I need to complete my remodel in about 2 week and after speaking with Rich I felt good about going for it :-O

I'll post back once I am done and share my experience with my setup!
snickers1 likes this.
post #206 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey Rich I see what you did there!!!! You, Sneaky Devil, LOL Thanks for taking care of my lady!!!
snickers1 likes this.
post #207 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I took a good look at all the info on the website and read all the reviews here and decided to order now without the samples... I need to complete my remodel in about 2 week and after speaking with Rich I felt good about going for it :-O

I'll post back once I am done and share my experience with my setup!
I had screen sample from Seymour of both the XD material and the EN4K material and some from Elunevision 4K audioweave material, I bought my Falcon screen sight unseen and have been extremely happy with the picture and build quality of it. Rich has been awesome to deal with and its always nice to support a fellow AVS member with his start up venture into the screen market.

Next month I'm hosting a small speaker GTG with close to 20 forum members coming out, I can't wait to show off my Falcon screen!
Barrettmr and johnmi like this.
post #208 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Hey Rich I see what you did there!!!! You, Sneaky Devil, LOL Thanks for taking care of my lady!!!

Your very Welcome!! it was my pleasure she was so excited to get this done for you was very happy help.

enjoy
Rich
onyxbfly likes this.
post #209 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I had screen sample from Seymour of both the XD material and the EN4K material and some from Elunevision 4K audioweave material, I bought my Falcon screen sight unseen and have been extremely happy with the picture and build quality of it. Rich has been awesome to deal with and its always nice to support a fellow AVS member with his start up venture into the screen market.

Next month I'm hosting a small speaker GTG with close to 20 forum members coming out, I can't wait to show off my Falcon screen!

Hey i was not invited LOL!!!! Can't waite to hear about the event send me some pics
post #210 of 352 Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
Hey i was not invited LOL!!!! Can't waite to hear about the event send me some pics

Yes you were, I said you can fly out with my masking panels!...lol
snickers1 likes this.
Reply Screens