The official Falcon Screens acoustically transparent screen thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 339 Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Member
 
johnmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by johnmi 

Hi Rich, I received the sample you sent me and it looks great. Just sent you a PM. 

John


Thanks John got it
Hey Rich, I got my screen material all is great. Although at first sight I was nervous since the box had gotten crushed enroute! However once I checked it out, all is okay. No creases, just a little "smooshed". I have it laying out now to flatten it out. Very happy with the way it looks. Thanks again for getting it right out, now to build a frame.
snickers1 likes this.
johnmi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 339 Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmi View Post
Hey Rich, I got my screen material all is great. Although at first sight I was nervous since the box had gotten crushed enroute! However once I checked it out, all is okay. No creases, just a little "smooshed". I have it laying out now to flatten it out. Very happy with the way it looks. Thanks again for getting it right out, now to build a frame.

Gotta love Fedex sometimes... if you have issue just send me email and we will take of it.
Now the Fun begins building a Frame.
snickers1 is offline  
post #213 of 339 Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question speaker colour behind the screen?

So my Falcon screen will be here tomorrow, can't wait but I do have one concern, this is my first AT screen and I'm having to use my excising Polk speakers behind it, my old screen was smaller and the speakers were in front of the non AT screen. Anyway when I pulled them out I found they have a silver finish on the front of the speakers and the speaker themselves have a silver cone - now I am concerned a very light scene in a movie will reflect off the speaker and make it visible through the screen? Anyone with this Falcon screen have any issues like that? I read in other posts the back wall behind the screen should be black, so should I have the speaker grill material over them. I just wanted some advice so didn't have to hang it then remove it to add speaker grills nor wanted to add those grills (which I guess will further impact the sound) if they aren't needed :-(


Thanks!
Barrettmr is offline  
post #214 of 339 Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If its a reflective silver, vs some sort of matte, I would advise using the grills. Its doubtful they would impact the sound in a way you could tell if you blindly A/B'd them.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #215 of 339 Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
so i took a sample screen we have to show folks what the screen looks like and how it goes together, i took a few silver z brackets and rested them against the back side of the screen and then turned the lights off in the room and took a bright mag light and shined it on the front side of the screen and i was unable to see the brackets through the screen. I then moved them back a few inches from the screen and same result. The z brackets are much more reflective the a silver speaker painted speaker i would think.

hope this helps
Rich
snickers1 is offline  
post #216 of 339 Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
@hifiaudio2 and Rich


Thanks for the info and advice, sounds like I should try without anything over the speakers first as there is a good chance I will not have an issue. From what I have seen the screen hangs on those Z brackets so it just lifts on and off correct?


Thanks again!
Barrettmr is offline  
post #217 of 339 Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
@hifiaudio2 and Rich


Thanks for the info and advice, sounds like I should try without anything over the speakers first as there is a good chance I will not have an issue. From what I have seen the screen hangs on those Z brackets so it just lifts on and off correct?


Thanks again!
That is correct hangs just like a great big picture. very easy to hang and remove if need be.

Thanks
Rich
snickers1 is offline  
post #218 of 339 Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
That is correct hangs just like a great big picture. very easy to hang and remove if need be.

Thanks
Rich
ok, last bit of info I think I need, do you know how much extra space is needed to lift the screen over and onto the fixing z bracket thing? My wood frame is recessed and the finished dimensions were going to be 1" gap between the top edge of the screen frame and the top of the wood frame its being fixed to, so now I am thinking will 1" be enough to raise it up to hook onto the bracket. I did a quick picture to help explain :-)


Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen fitting.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	136553  
Barrettmr is offline  
post #219 of 339 Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
ok, last bit of info I think I need, do you know how much extra space is needed to lift the screen over and onto the fixing z bracket thing? My wood frame is recessed and the finished dimensions were going to be 1" gap between the top edge of the screen frame and the top of the wood frame its being fixed to, so now I am thinking will 1" be enough to raise it up to hook onto the bracket. I did a quick picture to help explain :-)


Thanks!

1" will work perfectly, the lip that slides into the z bracket is a tad over 1/4" so if you leave 1/2 to 1" of room your set.

Thanks
Rich
snickers1 is offline  
post #220 of 339 Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks, I'll carry on with the 1" gap then...


Also, the screen arrived about half an hour ago, when I looked at the box it looked visually bent in the middle, good old FedEx! It came off the truck on its side as in the picture, after unboxing it I couldn't see any major damage which is good but after un-bolting the frame from the shipping blocks and placing them on the flat floor, the main top and bottom parts are slightly bent like a banana shape rocking in the middle :-( I don't want to take the plastic off yet as I am still building and don't want any dust on them so will have to see in a few days.....seems like those shipping companies really don't care at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4643.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	137145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4644.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	137153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	137161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4646.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	137169  
Barrettmr is offline  
post #221 of 339 Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 AM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I finally got my screen installed and watched ID4 and Avengers 3D and all I can say is WOW!!! This screen is amazing, build quality is superb and the AT screen fabric is perfect. The image is just amazing, so much better than my old Da-lite Cinema Vision and the 3D was jaw dropping. It was just like my first HT experience all over again


Despite Fed Ex's best attempt at destroying it, I can report that the shipping packaging kept everything in perfect order, at first I was worried about some damage but once it was out of the packaging it turn out to be fine.


Thanks again for creating such a great screen at a great price, you totally exceeded my expectations!


Now I just need those masking panels, hope they will be available soon


Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4689.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	149826  
snickers1 likes this.
Barrettmr is offline  
post #222 of 339 Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I finally got my screen installed and watched ID4 and Avengers 3D and all I can say is WOW!!! This screen is amazing, build quality is superb and the AT screen fabric is perfect. The image is just amazing, so much better than my old Da-lite Cinema Vision and the 3D was jaw dropping. It was just like my first HT experience all over again


Despite Fed Ex's best attempt at destroying it, I can report that the shipping packaging kept everything in perfect order, at first I was worried about some damage but once it was out of the packaging it turn out to be fine.


Thanks again for creating such a great screen at a great price, you totally exceeded my expectations!


Now I just need those masking panels, hope they will be available soon


Mark.

Sweet!! Very happy that you are enjoying it, I sometimes think when you put a label on a box that says Fragile that is Fed Ex's queue to toss them around, This is why we pretty much try to over pack them.
snickers1 is offline  
post #223 of 339 Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
snickers1,

Yesterday, I sent you email
awedio is offline  
post #224 of 339 Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
snickers1,

Yesterday, I sent you email

PM sent

Thanks
Rich
snickers1 is offline  
post #225 of 339 Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Rich! I have sent you a PM with some pictures. I have approximately 119" wall to wall space and I think the best fit is the 126.2" diagonal screen in 16:9. I am ready to purchase as soon as possible. Waiting on you response.
BamaboyTX77 is offline  
post #226 of 339 Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaboyTX77 View Post
Hi Rich! I have sent you a PM with some pictures. I have approximately 119" wall to wall space and I think the best fit is the 126.2" diagonal screen in 16:9. I am ready to purchase as soon as possible. Waiting on you response.
you sent an email .... was just working on the reply check your mail in a few minutes

Thanks
Rich
snickers1 is offline  
post #227 of 339 Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you! I have sent you a response as well. A couple of follow-up questions and should be good to go after that!
BamaboyTX77 is offline  
post #228 of 339 Old 08-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just placed the order! Super excited. Will post pictures once i get it set up.
BamaboyTX77 is offline  
post #229 of 339 Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Member
 
24Changer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kannapolis,NC
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My 120" wide 2.35 Falcon screen has arrived, woo hoo!, thank you Rich!. It all appears to be in one piece after a quick inspection. Fed Ex was kind
snickers1 likes this.

Creekside Stone Cinema
24Changer is online now  
post #230 of 339 Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Member
 
JSKMDWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wanted to write and share my impressions of my recently installed 120” wide,130” diagonal, 2.35:1 Falcon Screen. The build quality of the frame rivals that of the Stewart Screen it was replacing. I’ve had the screen up for almost a month and am really enjoying the more immersive picture. We watched Need for Speed and I loved the wider aspect ratio. I opted for the masking panels and they do a great job of giving a crisp sharp edge to 16x9 content without impact to the audio. I think having all of the front LCR speakers behind the screen,with the audio originating from the proper location in the image, greatly enhances the suspension of disbelief. Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4511 (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	232697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4519.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	232705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4521.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	232713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4524.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	232721  

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print http://www.hometheater.com/writer/26443

Mocha Theater Construction thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527883/mocha-theater-construction 


Last edited by JSKMDWK; 08-27-2014 at 10:11 PM.
JSKMDWK is offline  
post #231 of 339 Old 09-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Newbie
 
msuduck17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Falcon Screen Selection

As I new I cannot PM Rich directly so I am posting here...

I just built a false wall that is 116 inch wide so I am looking at the FVHD095. I have an Epson 5010 with viewing distance = throw at 12 feet. It's not a dedicated home theater but I have full light control. Any feedback on screen selection?
msuduck17 is offline  
post #232 of 339 Old 09-13-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,617
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuduck17 View Post
As I new I cannot PM Rich directly so I am posting here...

I just built a false wall that is 116 inch wide so I am looking at the FVHD095. I have an Epson 5010 with viewing distance = throw at 12 feet. It's not a dedicated home theater but I have full light control. Any feedback on screen selection?
What kind of feed back are you looking for? I say the Falcon screen as pretty much as good as anything else around as for as picture quality goes, and can be had for an excellent price. You should try emailing Rich at Falcon directly.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #233 of 339 Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
And all I would add to that is go as big as you can for sure


I rebuilt my screen wall and went from 106" non AT to the 131" falcon AT and it was amazing....
Barrettmr is offline  
post #234 of 339 Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Newbie
 
Searl6542's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So how does the audio sound from behind the falcon screen? Accucalahd.com rates it low. I have a denon x4000, so can I assume the audyssey feature will correct the speakers accordingly? Is it that much of a difference vs Seymour etc?
Searl6542 is offline  
post #235 of 339 Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,617
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searl6542 View Post
So how does the audio sound from behind the falcon screen? Accucalahd.com rates it low. I have a denon x4000, so can I assume the audyssey feature will correct the speakers accordingly? Is it that much of a difference vs Seymour etc?

I think popalock posted some measurements of the screen in place and measurements without the screen in place. And once you correct the EQ to account for the screen it's like it's not even there.

I know it isn't an issue for me either.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #236 of 339 Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 AM
Newbie
 
Searl6542's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I think popalock posted some measurements of the screen in place and measurements without the screen in place. And once you correct the EQ to account for the screen it's like it's not even there.

I know it isn't an issue for me either.
Ahh! You are correct! Thanks and sorry about asking what's already been discussed!
Searl6542 is offline  
post #237 of 339 Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,354
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 711
I'm getting ready (finally!) to order my 110" (horiz.) 2:35 AT Falcon screen. Also need side masking panels for 16:9 HDTV content. Anybody know (Rich?) what the width dimension of those panels would be?
archiguy is online now  
post #238 of 339 Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I'm getting ready (finally!) to order my 110" (horiz.) 2:35 AT Falcon screen. Also need side masking panels for 16:9 HDTV content. Anybody know (Rich?) what the width dimension of those panels would be?
they would be 13 1/2" wide


Rich
snickers1 is offline  
post #239 of 339 Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,354
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
they would be 13 1/2" wide


Rich
That includes the frame? How are they attached to the screen?
archiguy is online now  
post #240 of 339 Old 10-25-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,617
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That includes the frame? How are they attached to the screen?
As far as I remember, with magnets.
jbrown15 is online now  
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off