Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everybody,

I need some advice as to which screen size to get 120" vs 130"

I have a completely light controlled environment (completely dark if needed) and...

Sony HW30ES projector
View distance 12-13ft
Screen is 3ft off floor
Seymour XD acoustically transparent screen.

Questions:

Should I get a 120 or 130" screen?
Can this projector be about 77 off the floor?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechuan View Post

Hello everybody,

I need some advice as to which screen size to get 120" vs 130"

I have a completely light controlled environment (completely dark if needed) and...

Sony HW30ES projector
View distance 12-13ft
Screen is 3ft off floor
Seymour XD acoustically transparent screen.

Questions:

Should I get a 120 or 130" screen?
Can this projector be about 77 off the floor?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Joe

Are you talking diagonal or width? Also depends on throw distance, your room and how important 3D is to you. Yes you can mount the projector so that the lens is 77" above the floor as long as the image (using 120" diagonal 16:9) is not closer than 7" to the floor. smile.gif If you need so help, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mike,

Thanks for your reply. The throw distance is approx. 14 feet. 3D is not that important to me. I just want to optimize the 2d experience. When viewing from 12-13 feet would the 120" be sharper than the 130" screen and/or would the 130 be too overwhelming for a picture size?

Thanks,

Joe
post #4 of 6 Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. The throw distance is approx. 14 feet. 3D is not that important to me. I just want to optimize the 2d experience. When viewing from 12-13 feet would the 120" be sharper than the 130" screen and/or would the 130 be too overwhelming for a picture size?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

If you already have the projector you are in luck as the absolute BEST way to determine if a given screen size will give you the immersion you desire and not be overwhelming is to either project on the wall if the wall is light colored enough or project on to a bed sheet! wink.gif

You can then experiment with various size screens and live with it for a bit and then you can make a really informed subjective decision! biggrin.gif

Obviously, if you do not have your projector yet do get it first and experiment!

...Glenn smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Mike,

Thanks,

Joe

I would personally choose 120". At that size you will be able to use low lamp for a little while and then go to high lamp. Talking best image mode here. If you go with 130", then I think you will start off in high lamp best image mode and not have real long lamp life. To some people lamp life is just something they factor in as an expense for being able to go large. You just have to decide. Many people do find 130" a view-able size from 12/13'. You have to decide what is acceptable to you. Good suggestion of shinning on the wall and experimenting. Many people get their projector first, for this very reason.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Thanks,

Joe

First, I think you will be pretty surprised how awesome good 3D can be, so you MAY want to factor that in, as going with a slightly smaller size you will get a brighter, punchier picture. 130" will be plenty sharp. I have about that same size and I sit 12" away and it's razor sharp. I wouldn't sit any closer than 11" as that's where I can ever so slightly spot the weave on the XD in very bright scenes. I do have a bright projector relative to yours on paper (optoma hd3300), but if I'm not mistaken the reference setting on your PJ still puts out a lot of lumens. That said, I like a bright picture. The best advice given previously is to test those sizes on a wall and determine what looks best to your eyes. If your image is too close to the ceiling and you have a bright ceiling it will kill the contrast as well. Lots to consider.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page