Suggestions for a more portable & versatile screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With my job I move every few years, so I decided to get a projector (Benq W1070) as that is more portable and easier to move. At the time, I was planning that in my next assignment I'd be taking the house of someone who already had a wall sanded, painted, and set up for use as a screen. However, now my assignment has changed and that is no longer happening.

So, I'm now looking to go ahead and buy a screen and am hoping to find one that would be easy to take down, ship, and put up again every few years. Also, I really have no idea about the size/layout of my upcoming apartment, let alone all of the ones that will follow.

I bought a 110" Elite Screens Fixed Frame screen for my dad last year and while we got it assembled and put up fine I don't think I'd want to attempt it on my own and then have to undo/redo it every few years. So, I would guess that I would prefer some kind of roll out/pull down screen, preferably with a stand so that I don't have to mount it on the wall.

I think there is also a size of 108" (length + girth) on packages that I can receive through DPO.

Is there any screen that rolls out sideways instead of up/down? If so, I would think that would give me a bigger screen in the same closed shipping size.

Or, should I look at some sort of DIY screen? I'm not the best at assembling things, but if someone has designed a plan that is fool proof and easy to assemble then I can certainly give it a shot.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Have you considered a portable screen? Dalite's Pickture King (tripod), Insta Theater (floor pullup) or Theater lite (floor pull up) may be better for you purpose. www.dalite.com > Products> portable and tripod screens
post #3 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm in the same boat as you so here's somethings to think about and what I went with.

If you work for the GOV and they pay to have your stuff moved, they shouldn't have any problems moving a large screen box. Just talk to whomever handles your move to get a hold of the shippers and make sure they have no size restrictions. They usually don't so long as you tell them ahead of time so they can make arrangements for it.

Doug made some good suggestions but those often can be expensive or not aesthetically pleasing.

The only screens I've hard of rolling out sideways were business models and I think were limited to 60" or 80" 16:9.

Some other options are manual pull down and tensioned screens.. But be forewarned, the screen materials will develop waves over time in any non tensioned screen. However, in some manual pull down with thicker materials, like the Da-Lite High Power, won't be visible during viewing.

So consider getting a tensioned screen. They're usually electric so you have to think about getting power to it. Tensioned screen are also more expensive.

As you won't know what kind of room it will be going in and if it will be able to be light controlled, it will affect the performance of your image if there's too much ambient light.

What projector do you have or plan on getting?

Even if it has a lot of lumens, I'd still consider getting a high gain screen.

That's what I did. I went w/ the Da-Lite High Contrast High Power Model C manual pull down. It helps w/ brightness and room reflections, can be easily rolled up and packed away for shipping.

It does have trade offs, like smaller viewing angles (though not a big deal for the casual viewer unless you're super critical of the image fidelity and/or you have extreme viewing angles, sitting outside the screen dimensions) and the projector needs to be mounted as close to eye level as possible to get the highest gain possible.

But it won't show the waves when viewing something on the screen. And even if you have to ceiling mount the projector and get closer to a gain of 1, it'll still be cheaper than getting a tensioned screen that s a lower gain as well as a lower gain manual pull down screen that will show waves.

If you're stateside now, I'd get it before you leave. I had a heck of a time trying to order stuff when I was overseas. Aside from size restrictions, a lot of companies won't/can't ship overseas, even to APO/FPO/DPO's.

I'd give AVS a call to see if they can help. They have pretty good pricing too. Or there's other options of where to purchase. I ordered from thefinalclick.com and can recommend them as very helpful and good pricing as well.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Have you considered a portable screen? Dalite's Pickture King (tripod), Insta Theater (floor pullup) or Theater lite (floor pull up) may be better for you purpose. www.dalite.com > Products> portable and tripod screens

Thanks, I hadn't seen those before. They do look like they would work, but are a little smaller and/or more expensive than I was hoping. But, at least it's a starting point to look from.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 53

Epson makes a sideways pullout screen and can be put on a stand or mounted on the wall.  It is a lot more portable than most but it is limited to 80".  To most here that seams small but if you travel a projector and this screen make a pretty portable 80" TV.  Any of the manual pull down or pull up screens will of course have a longer case and you can get larger sizes but I bet some of them will meet the shipping requirements.  You'd have to call some companies to see their shipping sizes.  I know Da-lite has this info.

An electric would be nice but you do need power.  I'm not sure if that is an option but there are some with pretty small cases.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I'm in the same boat as you so here's somethings to think about and what I went with.

If you work for the GOV and they pay to have your stuff moved, they shouldn't have any problems moving a large screen box. Just talk to whomever handles your move to get a hold of the shippers and make sure they have no size restrictions. They usually don't so long as you tell them ahead of time so they can make arrangements for it.

I am with the GOV and I think that you are right that it won't be a problem to move once I have it with me overseas. The problem is that I'm moving from one overseas post to another, so I'd pretty much have to have a way to get it overseas initially. I will have one small air shipment from the US, but I don't think it would fit. I've reached out to the transportation people to see what the size restrictions are.

Quote:
What projector do you have or plan on getting?
I already bought the Benq W1070

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'm guessing a manual screen would be somewhat preferential over electric for me since the standards and plugs change between countries. I'm sure I will just leave it set up between moves anyway.

I am not a stickler for image quality by any stretch of the imagination when compared to a lot of the people on the forums. I'm more concerned with price and size than top quality (after all, being a GOV worker I have to watch my $ tongue.gif).
post #7 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
have you checked the price and availability of the inexpensive screen within the country you are first visiting? Maybe it would be better to just get your screen over there, especially if you are not all that worried about image quality etc..
post #8 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

have you checked the price and availability of the inexpensive screen within the country you are first visiting? Maybe it would be better to just get your screen over there, especially if you are not all that worried about image quality etc..

I'm going to Lisbon, so I would kind of assume that I'd be able to find something there. So far though, I have failed in finding any local resources via Google. Maybe I'll have better luck once I get there (assuming I don't buy something here first.)
post #9 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post

I'm going to Lisbon, so I would kind of assume that I'd be able to find something there. So far though, I have failed in finding any local resources via Google. Maybe I'll have better luck once I get there (assuming I don't buy something here first.)

Where are you now?

I just came back from Guam so I have some recent experience w/ all this.

Check out the ISF page for a good starting point. These companies should have some idea about getting a screen there.

http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php?search=Portugal
post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

You could also contact the screen companies directly and ask who their authorized dealers are where you're at or going.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You could also contact the screen companies directly and ask who their authorized dealers are where you're at or going.

Great idea. I just did the Live Chat on Da-Lite's website and he gave me the contact info of their dealer in Lisbon.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where are you now?

I just came back from Guam so I have some recent experience w/ all this.

Check out the ISF page for a good starting point. These companies should have some idea about getting a screen there.

http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php?search=Portugal

That's a great link, thanks! I am currently in Tennessee.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post

That's a great link, thanks! I am currently in Tennessee.

If you're still stateside, I'd def get it now.

It'll likely be cheaper and would have more options.

Have you thought about what screen size you want?

I lived in Germany for a couple years and know how small their (and the rest of Europe) rooms can be.

They get taxed on everything (worse than us Americans) from how much rain water comes off your roof and onto the streets, to how many rooms you have. So don't expect walk in closets.

I wouldn't go anything larger than 120". Prob more along the lines of 100" or 110".

When you work for the GOV and move around a lot, you never know what kinda place you'll be living in and the space it will have to accommodate these large screens and placement for speakers or required throw distances for the projectors.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at some screens in Fry's and was able to measure the boxes, so I'm fairly sure I could get at least a 100" shipped to me. I just got a few photos of my apartment and it has big white walls, so I might just try getting by without a screen since the time difference between ordering before I get there and after is relatively small at this point.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page