Screen Size Help - How did your perception change over time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi There,

I've agonized over THX standards vs SMPTE and realize that ultimately what matters most is what looks best to me. My concern is whether this will likely change over time once I get used to the screen and I hope some of you with more experience will chime in.

Here is a summary of my situation:
The front half of my 27.5 x 14 x 7' high room is being used for the theatre (back will be a card table and small bar for now) and I'm pleasantly surprised with the picture of our Epson 8350 even on a dark taupe/grey painted wall. Our Eyes at the main seating position are 11.5' to 12' from the screen and we are in the process of deciding between a 108" or 100" diagonal 16x9 screen. The side surround speakers are installed and can't be moved from their current position about 12' from the screen on the side walls hence our eyes being 11.5' to 12' from the screen.

With my two hours of experimenting last night, the 108" seems a bit too big for 16x9 and close to just about right for 2.35 content whereas the 100" is ideal for 16x9 and a bit small to "just right" for 2.35 content. I figure I'd get used to the larger screen over time but based on my perception TODAY I'd go with the 100". Our family room set up we've had for a couple years is a 58" Plasma viewed from about 9.5' which I think may be influencing the comfort level with a 100" screen. On the flip side it seems a waste to not go with the larger 108" screen and so many posters here seem to go much larger from the same distance which has me questioning myself.

My specific questions are as follows:

1) Did your first projection screen seem too large to you?
2) Did you get used to it over time?
3) Have any of you regretted going TOO BIG?

The screen will be about $1000 (Elunevision Reference 4K white 1.0 Gain) so I want to make the right choice and the price difference between the 108" and 100" is not a concern.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

1) Did your first projection screen seem too large to you?
2) Did you get used to it over time?
3) Have any of you regretted going TOO BIG?

1. No.
2. TV vs. movies. TV is "bigger" and size won't be so much of an issue. Film is different--the larger size is better.
3. Just the opposite.

B.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

1. No.
2. TV vs. movies. TV is "bigger" and size won't be so much of an issue. Film is different--the larger size is better.
3. Just the opposite.

B.

Thanks for your input... just curious, what size/distance do you have today?
post #4 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We have our first dedicated home theater room functional for about 6 weeks now and purchased the 108" EluneVision; Reference 4K screen. We sit 10' back in a Dark Room.

The screen is great and we have no regret on the size choice. The screen wall is 12.5 wide and is painted flat black along with the ceiling.

Go with the 108.......
post #5 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 44
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first projector and I have seen a few home theaters from friends. Both of them had 120" screens and wished they had gone 100". Both of them had 8' walls and both had concerns with center channels. I originally was going 120" and I am now looking at 100" screens. I guess it all comes down to your room size, ceiling height, seating position, the position of the stars and the moon and what you are planning to do with your center channel.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Thanks for your input... just curious, what size/distance do you have today?

Last screen was ~100" diagonal. Now looking at ~130".

B.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Liked: 11
1) First screen was 80" diagonal in 16:9. Way bigger than any TV at the time. Never seemed abnormal to me.
2) I was happy right away.
3) Upgraded to 110" diagonal in 16:9 (8 feet viewing distance). Even happier now.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Went from 65" RPTV circa 1999 to a 181".

65 was biggest at the time. The only possible error I made is possibly not leaving enough room for a bigger center channel. Not a lot of people have seen it yet, but no one so far thinks its too big. Primary seating is 18' away.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #9 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I started out with a 133" (16x9) screen and thought it looked awesome. Big, but awesome.

As time went on I thought.....I think I can go bigger. I did. I now have a 153" (16x9) screen. I like the look and size of 75" height for a 16x9 image and would love to keep that for a 2.35:1 screen. That would be around 192" diagonal or 176" wide 2.35:1 screen. That would be a little bit better than perfect! I sit anywhere from 14-15 feet back.

The only problem is that I will need a light canon to light up a screen that big.....three chipper for sure!

Like anything, once you get accustomed to it, it won't seem too big.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input. I spent more time last night and have to say this choice isn't getting any easier, but on the bright side I think I've done the right thing by trying the projector out before committing to a screen size. I have to say that it may seem small but to my eyes the difference between 108" and 100" at 11.75' is significant and that is only going from 36.9 degrees to 34.3!!

I've learned a lot in this process about my preferences and am starting to wonder about some of the science behind them...

For example, keeping the same field of view at about 36%, I prefer a larger screen from further away than a smaller screen closer with the same field of view... could be the brightness that is a bit overwhelming to my eyes (even with Cinema mode) and I wonder if that is the reason that 100" seems more comfortable at 11.5'.

It seems there is an absolute trade off between imersion and a "relaxing" viewing experience and its all about finding that "sweet spot" between the two.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 AM

Liked: 52

Bigger is usually better but has some caveats.  One make sure you have a projector that can light it up effectively for the viewing conditions.  A smaller screen will be brighter and that can help if you watch a lot with the lights on especially as bulbs age.  The other caveat to larger screens is audio and many make big tradeoffs in audio for the larger screen.   When you start putting speakers near corners, the floor or ceiling to fit your screen you are compromising the audio significantly.  In nicer home theaters that is why they use acoustically transparent screens and put the speakers behind the screen to not sacrifice audio with poor speaker placements.  

In your situation it won't be a big difference between 100" and 108".  It is about 15% meaning the 108" screen is ~15% bigger, but the 100" will be ~15% brighter.  For audio the extra 3" of height or 7" of width probably won't be a big deal.

post #12 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Bigger is usually better but has some caveats.  One make sure you have a projector that can light it up effectively for the viewing conditions.  A smaller screen will be brighter and that can help if you watch a lot with the lights on especially as bulbs age.  The other caveat to larger screens is audio and many make big tradeoffs in audio for the larger screen.   When you start putting speakers near corners, the floor or ceiling to fit your screen you are compromising the audio significantly.  In nicer home theaters that is why they use acoustically transparent screens and put the speakers behind the screen to not sacrifice audio with poor speaker placements.  

In your situation it won't be a big difference between 100" and 108".  It is about 15% meaning the 108" screen is ~15% bigger, but the 100" will be ~15% brighter.  For audio the extra 3" of height or 7" of width probably won't be a big deal.

It terms of speakers I think my main compromise is that I have the center channel below the screen about 15" off the ground, though I will find a way to angle it up. My LC & RC are front ported towers which are about 1' away from the projector wall and about 2.5' from the side walls and toed in. A false wall with AT screen was never a consideration as I want to use the room for 2 channel critical listening as well.

I know what you are saying about the 15% but I'm really surprised at just how different the experience is between the two options. The 108" 16x9 image is 52" high and the 100" image is 49" high. I tried setting the screen (without measuring) several times to the size that I felt offered the best immersion without compromising a relaxed viewing experience and I ended up with a 48" to 51" image every time!
post #13 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Started off with 106" diagonal 16:9 viewed from 11.5'. Then same screen viewed from 10.5'. Moved to 113" diagonal 2.40, viewed from 11.5'. Current screen is 116" diagonal 2.40 viewed from 9'. Very seldom does a person wish that they had bought a smaller screen. 99.9% of the time it is the other way around. Since you are coming from a TV, even a 100" is going to seem huge to you. Two hours is not enough time to get used to the new size. Try living with it for a week and then it will not seem so big. From 12', I would go with 110" as long as the projector could light it up properly and with today's projectors, that should not be a problem. Assuming that you have light control and are not talking about below 1.0 gain screens. 3D is another matter. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #14 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Started off with 106" diagonal 16:9 viewed from 11.5'. Then same screen viewed from 10.5'. Moved to 113" diagonal 2.40, viewed from 11.5'. Current screen is 116" diagonal 2.40 viewed from 9'. Very seldom does a person wish that they had bought a smaller screen. 99.9% of the time it is the other way around. Since you are coming from a TV, even a 100" is going to seem huge to you. Two hours is not enough time to get used to the new size. Try living with it for a week and then it will not seem so big. From 12', I would go with 110" as long as the projector could light it up properly and with today's projectors, that should not be a problem. Assuming that you have light control and are not talking about below 1.0 gain screens. 3D is another matter. smile.gif

I think THIS is what I wanted to hear smile.gif
If I knew that my perception would absolutely not change over time I'd get the 100" and not look back. I have a modest (by most standards) Epson 8350 with an 11.5' throw distance in completely light controlled room (except for a flat white cieling beyond 1.5' from the screen). The screen is an elunevision reference 4K white 1.0 gain, though several posters in the elunvision owners thread feel the gain is a bit higher.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

As Mike rightly states: "Try living with it for a week and then it will not seem so big."

As a matter of fact I will say " Live with the screen for a good week or two or more"! wink.gif

Really give it some time with a temporary test setup and you will then TRULY and subjectively know what direction to go... Can't state that enough!

...Glenn smile.gif
post #16 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Mark off on the wall what various sizes are and watch a good amount, like other posters have said.

I started with a 108", with similar dimensions as yours, maybe a little longer room. 108" looked huge at the time.

About a year later, I decided to go wall to wall, or what would be 138" 16:9 (or 120" wide)
Haven't looked back. It is awesome.

Some have said that 99.9% wouldn't wish they had gone smaller. I'll up that to 100%.

You'll enjoy whatever you get... Until you get the itch to see "what if"...

A screen will rarely be upgraded, when compared to components. Buy the biggest and the best you can afford right up front.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Your sig is GTA ( I assume that's the Toronto area), I live in Barrie and if you want to take a look, you are more than welcome..
post #18 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Liked: 12
I had this exact same conundrum, and I can tell you that without a doubt, you get used to the size and wish you went bigger.

I debated between a 100" and 110" screen for weeks and had trouble making the decision. I ultimately went with the 100" due to price and thinking it would be more comfortable to watch, but after 1 year of owning this screen, I would like those extra 10".

In other words, yes, you absolutely get used to the size and you will wish you went with the larger size.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 8350
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #19 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Your sig is GTA ( I assume that's the Toronto area), I live in Barrie and if you want to take a look, you are more than welcome..

Thanks for the offer!
I think I've got everything I need to make the decision. I purchased the 100" screen and projector already but will be picking up the screen at Eastporters on Saturday AM (I work in Brampton but live in southwest Burlington so I'm 10 minutes from them which makes this process easier). They have both sizes in stock so I can go with either one.
post #20 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post

I had this exact same conundrum, and I can tell you that without a doubt, you get used to the size and wish you went bigger.

I debated between a 100" and 110" screen for weeks and had trouble making the decision. I ultimately went with the 100" due to price and thinking it would be more comfortable to watch, but after 1 year of owning this screen, I would like those extra 10".

In other words, yes, you absolutely get used to the size and you will wish you went with the larger size.

I was wondering, how far are you from the screen? I looked at your screen thread and I couldn't find this information.

Your room looks GREAT by the way. I've never even tried to talk my wife into putting a full HT with projector in our family room because I didn't think it would be possible without messing up the aesthetics of our place (my theater is in a cave in the basement)... your set up looks really great, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a zero edge screen lol... The 100" screen with no border looks like a giant high end plasma. I think that 110" screen would look bulky by comparison. That's one of my issues too, the elunevision screens have a 5" velvet border so the 108" screen will look massive on my wall.
post #21 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

You'll enjoy whatever you get... Until you get the itch to see "what if"...

A screen will rarely be upgraded, when compared to components. Buy the biggest and the best you can afford right up front.

This is why I'm so indecisive... I was originally going to go DIY, then I figured $300 for the screen and now I'm at $1000, but it is with the expectation that I will have it for 2 or 3 generations of projectors... I don't want to mess it up!

Kind of off topic, but I watched some of "BBC Life" yesterday and the picture was really impressive on my painted dark grey/taupe wall... I can't wait to see what it looks like on a proper screen. The slow moving sequences in particular were more impressive at the larger size.
post #22 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I was wondering, how far are you from the screen? I looked at your screen thread and I couldn't find this information.

Your room looks GREAT by the way. I've never even tried to talk my wife into putting a full HT with projector in our family room because I didn't think it would be possible without messing up the aesthetics of our place (my theater is in a cave in the basement)... your set up looks really great, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a zero edge screen lol... The 100" screen with no border looks like a giant high end plasma. I think that 110" screen would look bulky by comparison. That's one of my issues too, the elunevision screens have a 5" velvet border so the 108" screen will look massive on my wall.

Haha, thanks. I sit about 12 feet back from my 100".

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 8350
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #23 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

This is why I'm so indecisive... I was originally going to go DIY, then I figured $300 for the screen and now I'm at $1000, but it is with the expectation that I will have it for 2 or 3 generations of projectors... I don't want to mess it up!

Kind of off topic, but I watched some of "BBC Life" yesterday and the picture was really impressive on my painted dark grey/taupe wall... I can't wait to see what it looks like on a proper screen. The slow moving sequences in particular were more impressive at the larger size.

Ahh, the early days of projector ownership! I remember them. All the BBC HD stuff was so impressive. I think just like screen size, we all start to take the picture quality for granted after a while.
post #24 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

So I picked up the screen this am and got the 108". I watched jurassic park yesterday and figured the larger size captures more about what cinema is all about. It took about 5 hours of viewing but I've gotten used to the larger size...and our 58" plasma in the family room looks like a computer monitor. lol.

I will assemble the screen this evening and will post some pictures. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice!
post #25 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure I'll being reading more from you in a few years, praising your new 140" screen tongue.gif

Enjoy your new screen!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page