Help me understand screen sizes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time understanding projectors and screen sizes, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start to understand this stuff. I know about the different formats (4:3, 16:9, 2.35/2.4:1), and that screens come sized for those, as do projectors, and I read that you can get different optics for your projector to natively support different formats.

But, I really don't understand how it works. Let's pretend I buy a 16:9 screen & projector. What happens when I put in a BluRay and it's 2.35:1? Will it just show it in that format, and then there will be "white bars" above and below the picture? Or, if I had a 2:35:1 screen & projector, and I put in 16:9 content, would it show a shrunk down version of the 16:9 content, scaled to fit within a 16:9 block on the 2:35 screen?

I'd appreciate any leads. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamino101 View Post

Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time understanding projectors and screen sizes, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start to understand this stuff. I know about the different formats (4:3, 16:9, 2.35/2.4:1), and that screens come sized for those, as do projectors, and I read that you can get different optics for your projector to natively support different formats.

But, I really don't understand how it works. Let's pretend I buy a 16:9 screen & projector. What happens when I put in a BluRay and it's 2.35:1? Will it just show it in that format, and then there will be "white bars" above and below the picture? Or, if I had a 2:35:1 screen & projector, and I put in 16:9 content, would it show a shrunk down version of the 16:9 content, scaled to fit within a 16:9 block on the 2:35 screen?

I'd appreciate any leads. Thank you

When you have a 16:9 (1.78:1) display and you are feeding it content where the ratio of width to height is greater (e.g. 2.35:1) you will have black (not white) bars at the top and bottom. There are a lot of 16:9 projectors to chose from and they can be combined with relatively affordable masking systems to make those black bars "disappear".

Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time researching and a lot of money buying a setup where 2.35:1 is the focus, I would just ignore that option.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just go 16X9 so if you watch TV it fills the whole thing.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page