100" Diag or 120" Diag Screen - Help!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I'm around a month away from being able to start setting up my basement theater, and I'm having some problems making a decision on my screen size. This is my first theater so I'm new to the idea of projectors

I have a 15' wide wall that the screen is going on, but due to some HVAC, I only have a 75" tall ceiling. The ceiling is only this short for the 5' of the room, on the far left side, and then the jumps up to 83". I want to go with a fixed screen, and am thinking of the Favi FF-HD series (Or something similar, only using this example because I had the exact specs on hand). I already have my audio equipment purchased, and I'm ordering my projector today. Here's the screen issue i'm torn on.

The projector is going to be mounted on the part of the ceiling that is 83", but the screen will have to be under the HVAC (75" from the floor). This is also a drop screen so my mount could be put into the ceiling a bit if need be.

I was sold on the idea of a 100" screen, but the longer I waited, I started playing with the numbers on seeing if a 120" would fit.

According to my numbers, if I mount a 120" fixed frame screen to the very top of the 75" ceiling, the bottom of the screen would be only 13" from the floor (10" from the floor including the framing). If it makes a difference, the projector will be the BenQ W1070 which will be ceiling mounted.

My questions are this:

#1: Is it going to look strange projecting the image so close to the floor?
#2: My center channel is 8.5" tall, and will need to be placed under the screen (plus will need to be angled up slightly). Am I cutting it too close?
#3: Am I going to run into any issues placing the projector so close to the shorter part of the ceiling? I don't want to get everything mounted and then realize that the shorter ceiling are is interfering with the top of the projected picture. The HVAC runs the entire length of the room. As long as the center of the lens is below the 75", I shouldn't have a problem, correct?

I don't think I'd mind the 100" screen, but the projector would have to be less that 11' from the screen. If I go with the 120" screen, I can put it closer to 13' from the screen (which I would prefer). If all else fails, I could always get the projector, mount it, and then play with the zoom/lens shift until I can find the image size that I'm comfortable with, and then purchase the screen afterwards. Although doing this would defeat the purpose of being able to mount it further back since I'd have to mount closer.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just a few of points to consider.

The BenQ W1070 has a moderately large image offset and a very limited range vertical lens shift adjustment. As a result the projector must be mounted a few inches above the top of the screen (as I recall, the center of the projector's lens would need to be a minimum of about 3 inches above the top of the projected image when using a 120 inch screen, but I suggest you check this with the BenQ online calculator and the owner's manual). As a result you may need to keep the top of the screen just a little below the 75" ceiling to avoid any blockage.

You might want to consider a screen a little smaller than 120" (e.g., 108" to 110") to give yourself a little more mounting flexibility.

You may want to consider mounting the center channel speaker above the screen rather than below.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 12
How about an acoustically transparent screen?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awenta View Post

How about an acoustically transparent screen?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I considered that. However my budget as of now doesn't allow that to fit in.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Just a few of points to consider.

The BenQ W1070 has a moderately large image offset and a very limited range vertical lens shift adjustment. As a result the projector must be mounted a few inches above the top of the screen (as I recall, the center of the projector's lens would need to be a minimum of about 3 inches above the top of the projected image when using a 120 inch screen, but I suggest you check this with the BenQ online calculator and the owner's manual). As a result you may need to keep the top of the screen just a little below the 75" ceiling to avoid any blockage.

You might want to consider a screen a little smaller than 120" (e.g., 108" to 110") to give yourself a little more mounting flexibility.

You may want to consider mounting the center channel speaker above the screen rather than below.

Thanks for the points. I think I will try to look for a 108" or so screen. I did consider mounting the center channel above the screen, but that would put the screen essentially all the way to the floor. I think I'm going to stick with mounting it below.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedatewitchu View Post

Thanks for the points. I think I will try to look for a 108" or so screen. I did consider mounting the center channel above the screen, but that would put the screen essentially all the way to the floor. I think I'm going to stick with mounting it below.

Since you said in Post #1: "I only have a 75" tall ceiling. The ceiling is only this short for the 5' of the room, on the far left side, and then the jumps up to 83". Assuming the screen is centered on your 15 ft. wide wall that would place the horizontal center of the screen (and where the center speaker would be mounted) where you have the 83" ceiling. In this case mounting the 8.5 inch tall speaker above the screen should not have any significant impact on screen position.
takedatewitchu likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Since you said in Post #1: "I only have a 75" tall ceiling. The ceiling is only this short for the 5' of the room, on the far left side, and then the jumps up to 83". Assuming the screen is centered on your 15 ft. wide wall that would place the horizontal center of the screen (and where the center speaker would be mounted) where you have the 83" ceiling. In this case mounting the 8.5 inch tall speaker above the screen should not have any significant impact on screen position.

You're absolutely right. I guess that's one of those things I can chalk up to looking at 100 times, but never actually seeing I had the space to do that. smile.gif
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page