Epson 5020ub Fixed Screen Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased Epson 5020ub and need to buy a fixed screen now.

Current room conditions:

1. Need a 120 inch screen. The measurements are almost perfect for the size...could MAYBE go for a 125, but I don't care
2. Floor, walls, cabinets, ceiling painted dark brown and windows covered (Black out currents coming soon) so the room will be very dark
3. This will be a dedicated movie room and maybe used for football games from time to time
4. Distance from where the projector will sit to display is exactly 18ft (No ceiling mount, just shelving)
5. Prefer a fixed screen

This is my first projector and screen to ever purchase and after reading alot of stuff on the internet I'm still slightly confused on what type of screen I should purchase. I'm leaning towards a grey screen, but honestly I could be completely wrong in that purchase which is why I'm asking here.

I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GEAD8O

Just wanted alittle direction before I spend more money.

***Last, but not least, I PREFER to purchase this screen from amazon if possible,but if there is a good deal on a different site I am willing to purchase it from somewhere else. I know this limits my options, but I got a nice line of credit on amazon and would rather pay this off over time than one big chunk biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
Check Projector Central's Projection Calculator Pro to help you determine some of the properties of the screen (gain, size). Let us know the results of that. Would also be helpful to know what kind of budget you are working with.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link. I've checked it out and it's helped me understand the process better. My budget is about $600 for the screen. I actually bought one before you even posted the link, but I might return it. It's an elite acoustic pro screen but I don't need one that allows for speakers behind the screen and I didn't realize what I was buying when I bought it so I might return it. Anyone have experience with these screens compared to regular ones and if so how much does it deteriorate the colors and dark levels?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis55 View Post

thanks for the link. I've checked it out and it's helped me understand the process better. My budget is about $600 for the screen. I actually bought one before you even posted the link, but I might return it. It's an elite acoustic pro screen but I don't need one that allows for speakers behind the screen and I didn't realize what I was buying when I bought it so I might return it. Anyone have experience with these screens compared to regular ones and if so how much does it deteriorate the colors and dark levels?

Elite Screens' older 1080P2 material is not getting favorable reviews. You should cancel that order for sure.

Wayfair.com has a few brands including Elite Screens. Here is a link to a selection of fixed 16:9 screen from Elite. A 106" diagonal screen with CineWhite material would cost $307.58 for example. What did the calculator suggest you need?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

If I understand the calculator correctly at 18' I need (or can go up to) 135'' screen. I don't know if it's telling me that's the best size screen if my projector is that far back or if it is the limit. I'm also worried about the screen gain. I did send the other screen back today so I have to buy a new one, but don't know what gain to go with. I watched a movie last night just on the wall (painted dark brown) and the image was amazing looking at about 132'' so I can't image it looking bad at 135'' with a good screen. Now I just don't know what gain to go with if I get a 135'' screen. It says .9 is too low and 1.7 is too high so I'm assuming somewhere between 1.1-1.3 would be preferred?

Let me know what you guys think.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm now looking to buy this screen: Elite 16:9 135 inch CineWhite since it's the size I'd prefer (If I read the calculator correctly) and the gain seems to be in the right range.

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B007PM9WYG

Any thoughts?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis55 View Post

I'm now looking to buy this screen: Elite 16:9 135 inch CineWhite since it's the size I'd prefer (If I read the calculator correctly) and the gain seems to be in the right range.

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B007PM9WYG

Any thoughts?

According to Projector Central with an 18' throw distance you could get an image of anywhere in between 86" and 185" using the zoom lens. 135" with a screen gain of 1.1 should be safe for a light-controlled room.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome. Just put the purchase in and should get the screen here by Tuesday. Hopefully I can get the thing put together this week and take pics to post. Thanks again for all the help ZeGhostbear smile.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well I appreciate all the help and finally got the screen in and up. So far I think it is a great bargain for the price. Only watched one movie last night and it looked very clear. Took a couple phone pics (Not super great quality camera phone, but you get the idea) Go ease on me about the styrofoam speaker stand I got, still working on the room wink.giftongue.gif

post #10 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Looking good. That is a nice size for the space.

I am sure you could sell those styrofoam speaker stands as an audiophile upgrade to someone biggrin.gif
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page