Non wrinkled drop down screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have decided to step up to a projector and I am wondering if there are any higher quality motorized or not drop down screens that don't wrinkle. I originally planned to get a fixed screen but I would really like to be able to roll it up out of the way so it doesn't get damaged. I'm in college and the finished room in our basement is on the way to the unfinished part of the basement where we have parties and I just know it will get ruined if I leave it up. Right now i've got a 55" led tv in that room and we always move it for parties. I'm planning on getting the epson 8350 and I was looking at this screen originally:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elite-Screens---SableFrame-Series-110%26%2334%3B-Home-Theater-Projector-Screen/2103461.p?id=1218309065076&skuId=2103461#tab=buyingOptions

So also if there isn't a good roll up option out there let me know what you guys think of the screen I already picked out.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You would want what is called a tab tensioned screen. However you won't find a decent one under $1000. Assuming you are looking for low budget entry level screens do to the model you linked to.
jayman619 likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Okay thanks I will just go with that then. Are they easy to take off the wall like a tv?
post #4 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 AM

Liked: 12
Depends how crazy you go with mounting it!
jayman619 likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 AM

Even if it isn't meant to be mounted in a fashion that's easy to take off it shouldn't be difficult to do. Depending on how handy you are.
jayman619 likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to see what it all looks like at the end of the summer.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman619 View Post

Hi, I have decided to step up to a projector and I am wondering if there are any higher quality motorized or not drop down screens that don't wrinkle. I'm planning on getting the epson 8350 and I was looking at this screen originally:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elite-Screens---SableFrame-Series-110%26%2334%3B-Home-Theater-Projector-Screen/2103461.p?id=1218309065076&skuId=2103461#tab=buyingOptions

So also if there isn't a good roll up option out there let me know what you guys think of the screen I already picked out.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

You would want what is called a tab tensioned screen. However you won't find a decent one under $1000. Assuming you are looking for low budget entry level screens do to the model you linked to.

I disagree.

http://www.simplylowprice.com/Focupix-TensionFlat-16-9-Electric-Screen-92-p/50032.htm

I've used this particular screen before, and even painted on a high performance High Contrast coating:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

Recently, the supplier linked to has not gotten in any models above the 92" size, but I can vouch for the quality and dependability of the Focupix. And that's coming from someone who very seldom suggests ANY type of Mfg Screen over a DIY alternative.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8 of 21 Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well that looks like a pretty good deal for a screen. While I do value the functionality of those screens they definitely don't look as nice as a fixed screen. So i'm not sure about what I will do at this point, but I am trying to keep a budget of around $2000 so a thousand dollar screen wouldnt really work. I've picked out the epson 8350 so far. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial to step up to the 3020 and get the screen i picked out or stay with the 8350 and maybe get a more expensive screen.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Fixed Screens are better when they can be accommodated. Personally, I would always suggest a Fixed version over a Retractable, unless of course circumstances dictate the absolute need for retract-ability.

If you can consider making your own Fixed screen, you can have exactly what you want. Just visit this Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section

..........and post up your request for advice / assistance in a new Thread. After that you should be able to take all the info from both sources and make a decision you can be happy with.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Well that looks like a pretty good deal for a screen. While I do value the functionality of those screens they definitely don't look as nice as a fixed screen. So i'm not sure about what I will do at this point, but I am trying to keep a budget of around $2000 so a thousand dollar screen wouldnt really work. I've picked out the epson 8350 so far. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial to step up to the 3020 and get the screen i picked out or stay with the 8350 and maybe get a more expensive screen.

I've been using this http://www.simplylowprice.com/Focupix-Flexio-16-9-Electric-Motorized-Screen-125-p/20028.htm for 2 1/2 years and although it's not tensioned it's never had any wrinkles or waves and continues to operate perfectly. I don't think you could beat it for a budget screen. We use it with a Viewsonic Pro8100 and an Epson 3010. JMHO, best of luck with your decision.

Ed

BTW, the viewing area is actually 120". The 125" includes the black borders.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

old corps,

A very good "JMHO" it is too. FocuPix Screens has been a great value and excellent performer for a while, but greatly underexposed.

I am still somewhat leery of non-tensioned screens, owning to the fact that everyone I have ever gotten to use for someone Theater has exhibited waves or "edge curling" to some degree, but in the all-in-all FocuPix has has less issue with such. Of course the Tab Tensioned variety has never been / had any issues at all.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

old corps,

Of course the Tab Tensioned variety has never been / had any issues at all.

I think a better way of saying it is any issues can be removed with proper adjustment of a tab tensioned screen.. The reason I say this is there are 4 screens in our corp assembly room that were not adjust correctly and have wrinkles in the corners.. lucky for me I work remotely and only have to see this one a year or I would have found out how to fix it! wink.gif
post #13 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I think a better way of saying it is any issues can be removed with proper adjustment of a tab tensioned screen.. The reason I say this is there are 4 screens in our corp assembly room that were not adjust correctly and have wrinkles in the corners.. lucky for me I work remotely and only have to see this one a year or I would have found out how to fix it! wink.gif

Well that is certainly true. But that is why Tab tensioned Screens are not static as far as their adjustment potential. As time goes forward, and if a wrinkle or wave does develop, it can be "adjusted" out.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

old corps,

A very good "JMHO" it is too. FocuPix Screens has been a great value and excellent performer for a while, but greatly underexposed.

I am still somewhat leery of non-tensioned screens, owning to the fact that everyone I have ever gotten to use for someone Theater has exhibited waves or "edge curling" to some degree, but in the all-in-all FocuPix has has less issue with such. Of course the Tab Tensioned variety has never been / had any issues at all.

Mine does have a tiny bit of "curl-in" that you can only see by looking at the edge from the side of the screen. Hasn't changed in 2 1/2 years.

Ed
post #15 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Some thicker screen materials, like Da-Lite's High Power screen material, won't develop waves as much/as fast if you leave it hanging down most of the time. And if it does develop waves, you won't really see it when watching something on it.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OP if you're worried about a fixed screen getting ruined then why not get a blanket to put in front of it while it's not in use and then when you need it remove the blanket. Obviously there are many better looking solutions than a blanket but it's an idea that I haven't seen floated yet.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I will probably do a fixed screen and I would definitely cover it to protect it from drink spills but the thing I was more worried with was someone falling into It and crushing/ripping it.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will probably do a fixed screen and I would definitely cover it to protect it from drink spills but the thing I was more worried with was someone falling into It and crushing/ripping it.

You need some new rules for anyone in the room where your toys are! If it was an 80" LCD would you be worried or would you say No messing around in this room! smile.gif
post #19 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Awww....we got a easy answer to that........

http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #20 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Do you currently have a problem with drink spills on your walls now? If so then I would be concerned. if not, then I would not worry about it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 PM

I would mount it on hinges at the top and put a clip on the bottom and a corresponding mounting point on the ceiling.

Party time? Swing it up and away. No worries

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page