Screen size and brand suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm building a HT in my new home and the screen is the last decision I have to make.

The room is 14.5x10.4 so I have 10'4", or 124" to work with. The room is going to be light controlled so I am not worried about the gain what so ever.

I have dark carpets, I'm thinking of doing black flat paint for the ceiling/screen wall and then another dark color for the remaining 3 walls. I want to avoid having the entire room black so that it can look somewhat appealing with the lights on. I'm guessing you won't even really notice the back wall being black since 90% of the wall will be covered by equipment and the screen.

I want the biggest screen I can get and am torn between doing a 110" and a 120" screen.

With a 120" screen the width will be - 104.6" viewing area with an additional 3-4" border on each side. This will bring the total width to 104.6+3.5+3.5 = 111.6". That leaves me with about 6 inches on both sides of the screen before the wall.

The 110" isn't much better but when you only have 6 inches to work with... every inch counts. The 110" screen would give an additional 2 inches on each side.

This brings me to my first question.

1) What do you guys suggest as far as screen size with that room?

The projector, lighting, throw distance, etc. is all irrelevant because the equipment and controlled lighting can handle whatever for that small of a room.

I want to avoid any glares from the walls.

My second question..

2) What screen brand should I shoot for?

All I need is a 1.0 gain. On my wish list from a year ago when dreaming up this room I had down a grand view fixed frame projector screen that cost $530. I don't know if that is overkill for what I'm doing. I want it to look nice in the room with a polished looking border. With my set up I don't need much from the actual screen itself. I obviously don't want cheap fabric that will crease or be falling apart in a year.

Any advice or experiences others have had with a similar situation would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberling View Post

2) What screen brand should I shoot for?

All I need is a 1.0 gain. On my wish list from a year ago when dreaming up this room I had down a grand view fixed frame projector that cost $530. I don't know if that is overkill for what I'm doing. I want it to look nice in the room with a polished looking border. With my set up I don't need much from the actual screen itself. I obviously don't want cheap fabric that will crease or be falling apart in a year.

Any advice or experiences others have had with a similar situation would be appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you. Have you even considered any brands in particular?

I am considering sticking with elite and getting a 120" (I have 100" now that I will be replacing) because it's like $320 off Amazon or Carada BW Precision 118" which is about $860 shipped. I really would like a Screen Innovation screen such as a black diamond, but the price of a black diamond screen so I wouldn't have to have the lights off all the time is so far out there compared to the others in price(especially the zero edge).

post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

There are a few I was looking at but I just have a hard time understanding the value from a 300 or a 700 screen.

I'm not even considering a black diamond. I'm just trying to fish for a reason I shouldn't go extremely cheap on a screen from someone on here. If its worth it I'm on board but any extra cash to buy more expensive speakers and I will take it.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

yup. That is why I am faced with carada vs elite. Like I said I have an 100" elite now. It is nice, but I notice the damn sparkles in it at certain angles and brightness. Drives me nuts personally, but is it something I'm willing to live with that is $500 cheaper than the carada? Maybe.... but maybe not when I plan on getting an sony hw50 since that is much higher end than my 8500ub and 3 years younger. I am just wanting to upgrade my 100" elite screen I got now because I got room for a 120" in the new house, and 120" is what I wanted 3 years ago when I got my first projector and screen. I just didn't have room for it in our old house.

post #5 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

That also goes back to my other question. I want 120" as well but how close is too close to the wall. I was going with the Epson 5020 but am converting to the Panasonic now because of lag issues with gaming. It will be pretty bright when the lights are off and I'm worried about light bouncing off the walls. With only a couple inches I won't have much room to work with if I need to try putting some sort of materials on the side walls.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That also goes back to my other question. I want 120" as well but how close is too close to the wall. I was going with the Epson 5020 but am converting to the Panasonic now because of lag issues with gaming. It will be pretty bright when the lights are off and I'm worried about light bouncing off the walls. With only a couple inches I won't have much room to work with if I need to try putting some sort of materials on the side walls.

coberling,

I am considering the Epson 5020 or 6020 also, but I had heard that the gaming lag was no big deal. Do you have firsthand experience that is driving you away from it?

Also which Panny are you considering, the AE8000?

Thanks,
Schlemstar
post #7 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post

coberling,

I am considering the Epson 5020 or 6020 also, but I had heard that the gaming lag was no big deal. Do you have firsthand experience that is driving you away from it?

Also which Panny are you considering, the AE8000?

Thanks,
Schlemstar

the lag might not be a big deal but the hw50es and the 8000 25ms faster than the 5020. Only reason I am considering the hw50es over the 5020 myself other than the hw50es comes with spare bulb too and it isn't much more than an 5020 if you buy it from the right place (avs)

post #8 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you seen the actual lag, or are you just going buy the specs? I haven't seen it, so I don't know how significant that difference is in "real life."
post #9 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

just the measurements done by a member on this forum. I have an epson 8500ub while not noticeable the 5010/5020 has more reported lag over the 8100/8350/8500/8700. Honestly nothing to be concerned about probably, I'm just going to try another brand personally when I upgrade once we get into our new house (sony hw50es)

post #10 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

With a screen only inches from a side wall, about the only material that you can put up that will keep you from having a lot of light bouncing back to the screen from the side walls is black velvet. What are you planning on doing with the speakers? Also if going with 120", then yes it matters very much, what projector you are matching to the screen. Lighting up a 120" for 3D takes a lot of lumens. It even matters with 2D. For example, you will not run an Epson 5020 in low lamp, best image mode for very long at all before it would be too dim on a 120" 1.0 gain screen using 13' throw.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

With a screen only inches from a side wall, about the only material that you can put up that will keep you from having a lot of light bouncing back to the screen from the side walls is black velvet. What are you planning on doing with the speakers? Also if going with 120", then yes it matters very much, what projector you are matching to the screen. Lighting up a 120" for 3D takes a lot of lumens. It even matters with 2D. For example, you will not run an Epson 5020 in low lamp, best image mode for very long at all before it would be too dim on a 120" 1.0 gain screen using 13' throw.

Finding the right projector has been pretty tough for me. I have been bouncing between the Panasonic 8000 and the Epson 5020 for a while now. The lag issues was pushing me towards the Panasonic but now all the additional Panasonic issues are temping me to go for the sony hw50.

So unfortunately I guess picking a screen will have to wait for my other decisions to be made.

With all of that said... I figured having a light controlled room would allow me to use a 1.0 gain with no problem. Are you suggesting I go 1.1-1.2 for the long run?
post #12 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

As far as where my speakers will go. Unfortunately they will be going as high as possible off the ground without blocking my view. I am getting CBM 340s and will have to find a stand that puts them just below the screen. I know this isn't optimal but my hands are tied on that one. With a 10'4" wide room there are things I must settle on. I'm choosing to have the speakers below optimal height vs going with a smaller screen.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Finding the right projector has been pretty tough for me. I have been bouncing between the Panasonic 8000 and the Epson 5020 for a while now. The lag issues was pushing me towards the Panasonic but now all the additional Panasonic issues are temping me to go for the sony hw50.

Honestly it's same exact reason why I am looking to the hw50 as well. Not to say the Sony doesn't have it's flaws, but still... Call Mike and he'll pretty much convince you otherwise between the 3. You'll get what I mean when you talk to him. eek.gifcool.gifwink.gif

post #14 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

This is a to scale drawing of what my screen wall will look like with a 120" screen. If I wanted my speakers to be placed on the sides with the tweeter of the speakers was at ear level I would have to go real small with my screen.

As you can see with the drawing the center of my front R and L speakers will only be about 18" off the ground, about 30" shy of optimal height. I will have to find midget stands that are about 7 inches tall.

I will have to test the set up to see how it does only being 6.5" away from the side walls and 12" from the ceiling. I will have to cross my fingers on this one because if I'm adding some material to my walls I can't imagine it turning out well. That could really make the room look like a disaster with the lights on if I'm doing it myself.

Also, how do I find Mike to talk to him? Gaming is a pretty big deal for me so it is worth it to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. I'm not an expert and some of the Panasonic problems may seem irrelevant to me. I'm also going to have to read up some more on the sony hw50 to find out what features it has.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mike is above as poster AV Science 5.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page