Ready to pull the plug on the screen - hopefully today - input please! 120 v. 135 Elite Sable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm ready to pull the plug on the screen and have narrowed it down to either an Elite Sable 120in CineWhite or in 135in.

I just need to get a better understanding what size would best compliment my projector. This is not a dedicated HT - more of a general rec room that has a pool table, large sectional etc.

My projector is an Epson 8350. I am not restricted by the wall I am projecting on as it is quite large. I am thinking of mounting the projector on a bulkhead and the throw distance is around 16' or 16.5'. I could have the PJ sit behind the bulk head with an extender pipe on the PJ ceiling mount at around 18'.

I had a professional AV company come out and they suggested not going larger than 130 as the image would just be stretched and diluted. Elite Sable doesn't come in 130 - only size options in that range are 120 and 135.

What do you guys think?

Here's a link to the screen:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER120WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366S0UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374267992&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+sable+120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 10
Im in the same boat as you. Im a newbie, building my first HT so im anxious to see the answer to this question. Im getting an 8350 and considering an elite 120 screen so im hoping for some good answers.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
How far will the sectional be from the screen?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

How far will the sectional be from the screen?

The sectional in some areas will be closer as it's an L shape but the side that is parallel with screen would be 13.5' away or so.

I'm more concerned with the image quality... will the image quality become lower with a larger screen like the 135 as opposed to the 120? Will the 120 be sharper and more crisp? I fired my projector up and tried zooming in at different sizes with the same throw distance of about 16'. I was just projecting onto the wall as far as I could tell when lights were off it was pretty close but i **think** 120 was a bit more vivid looking..

thanks for the feedback all!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

The sectional in some areas will be closer as it's an L shape but the side that is parallel with screen would be 13.5' away or so.

I'm more concerned with the image quality... will the image quality become lower with a larger screen like the 135 as opposed to the 120? Will the 120 be sharper and more crisp? I fired my projector up and tried zooming in at different sizes with the same throw distance of about 16'. I was just projecting onto the wall as far as I could tell when lights were off it was pretty close but i **think** 120 was a bit more vivid looking..

thanks for the feedback all!

My niece and her husband built a home theater area much like you describe - pool table, foosball, darts, etc. They chose the 120" Elite SableFrame with CineWhite screen and they've been quite pleased with it for watching movies and games. If you have a lot of competing ambient light as is common with entertaining friends you'll find the smaller size is better in that regard.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. i suppose going with the 120 makes sense - it's still a big screen and i can always upgrade later.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page