Focupix High Contrast Grey Screen?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy, I am new to the world of projectors. I have been lurking for awhile, but need some input/help.

I am planning to get either a Benq W1070 or a Acer h6510bd. The room is a family room measuring about 15x15' (back opens to kitchen therefore ambient light will be present quite often).

Okay so my question is would this screen http://www.simplylowprice.com/Focupix-Widescreen-Fixed-Frame-Screen-115-p/40026.htm be a good option for me? I have not been able to find much info on focupix and especially that screen in particular. Or would a screen I build or another screen be better option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

So nobody knows anything about these screens?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Don't know how much help this is but I bought a 120" Focupix electric screen (16:9/1.3 gain/NON-tensioned) from htdepot.com 2 1/2 years ago and I've been more than happy with it. Never had any wrinkles or waves and continues to operate just fine. Completely different screen than what you're considering but thought I'd offer my experience since you haven't received any replies. Best of luck!

Ed
post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Simplylowprice.com is a B&M store that used to be called HT Depot. They are located in a business park in Chantilly, VA just a few miles from where I used to live. They use the Focupix name as their house brand for screens they import from a manufacturer in China. I have had one of their tensioned electric screens for nearly 5 years and have been satisfied. The one I have has a matte white screen surface that was claimed to have a gain of 1.4 but has a real gain of about 1.1 to 1.2. I saw their fixed frame screens a few years ago and they looked nice, but have no experience with current models. By the way note that their "115 inch" screen is really a 110" screen since they include the frame/border in that 115" measurement.

By the way why do you think you need a grey screen rather than a matte white fabric?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying and now I at least know they are a legit company and don't make garbage.

I was thinking a gray screen would better suit my needs because this is going to be used in a family room where some ambient light will be present at times and from my research I have read that gray screens will look better when there is some ambient light (and that the benq w1070 is bright enough for them). I easily could be mistaken and am 100% open to suggestions and advice, as I said before I am very new to the projector world.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would like to second what Ron has said as I currently have a Focupix 2.35 125" 1.4 gain fixed frame screen and it is a nice screen. I don't know anything about their gray material but the 1.4 gain white screen material is very uniform and the fixed frame is covered in black velvet and is very comparable to the Da-lite Cinema Contour frame. I bought mine from HT Depot online.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

So do you guys think a white screen may be better off than a gray for my situation?
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page